Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Trying to my E2180 to 3.2Ghz (8x400)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to my E2180 to 3.2Ghz (8x400)

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hello, new guy here. I built my new gamming rig last month and have been overclocking it a few minutes a night (between work and college) ever since. I know my way around a bios, but am not an expert by any means.

Here is my setup:
E2180 on a Gigabyte D3SL cooled by a Arctic cooler 7, 2 gigs of G. Skill DDR2 800. Currently I am running 3.0 Ghz (333x9) with the RAM at 800 4,4,4,10. Orthos stable for 8 hours with 1.425 on the VCore (1.38 in Windows), and +0.1 on the FSB.

I am attempting to OC to 3.2 (400x8) so that I can run my CPU and RAM at 1:1 ratio. I have tried up to 1.5V on the Vcore and +0.1 on everything but the PCI. I've also tried different multiplier/FSB combinations and can't achieve 3.2 with any of them. Any suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance.
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post
Hello, new guy here. I built my new gamming rig last month and have been overclocking it a few minutes a night (between work and college) ever since. I know my way around a bios, but am not an expert by any means.

Here is my setup:
E2180 on a Gigabyte D3SL cooled by a Arctic cooler 7, 2 gigs of G. Skill DDR2 800. Currently I am running 3.0 Ghz (333x9) with the RAM at 800 4,4,4,10. Orthos stable for 8 hours with 1.425 on the VCore (1.38 in Windows), and +0.1 on the FSB.

I am attempting to OC to 3.2 (400x8) so that I can run my CPU and RAM at 1:1 ratio. I have tried up to 1.5V on the Vcore and +0.1 on everything but the PCI. I've also tried different multiplier/FSB combinations and can't achieve 3.2 with any of them. Any suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance.
Try adding more voltage to the cpu and see if it helps, just to rule that out (also, vdroop may be holding you back. eg. it may be set to 1.5v in the bios, but you might only be getting like 1.43v at load. For example, my IP35 PRO has a .07v droop at load and a .02 droop at idle.) If you dont see any improvement with raising the cpu voltage, try raising the cpu VTT voltage, northbridge voltage, southbridge, etc.

Here are some extra tips:

-make sure C1E and EIST are diabled
-try setting the pci-e frequency to 100
-make sure your temps are in check (I think the max temp for that chip is 71c, but you shouldnt really exceed 65c for daily use. Use Coretemp to check temps.)
-disable spread spectrums (if applicable)

P.S. Also fill out your system specs in the usercp so we can better assist you.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
I've tried upping the Vcore to 1.5V, which is the max for the E2180. My vdroop is .045V (1.425 in bios, then reads 1.38 in CPUID). The voltage doesn't change between idle and load with orthos. I have C1E and EIST disabled. No Spread Spectrum.

One question: My temps idle at 30 degrees in coretemp, and 45 in CPUID. Which one should I trust?

post #4 of 24
i use cpu-z to check the voltage and everest for temps.
my 2180 is sitting next to me right now running 3.3GHz with the ram at 1100MHz.
CPU voltage is 1.424 after vdroop in cpu-z and temps are max 50*C
G4M3R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 Asus P5N-D 750i SLI AMD XFX 4890 1GB GDDR5 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB Seagate SataII 16x DVD-RDUB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Sceptre LCD @ 1900x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gamer's Keyboard OCZ StealthXStream 600W SLI READYYY Antec 900 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
G4M3R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 Asus P5N-D 750i SLI AMD XFX 4890 1GB GDDR5 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB Seagate SataII 16x DVD-RDUB Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 24" Sceptre LCD @ 1900x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Gamer's Keyboard OCZ StealthXStream 600W SLI READYYY Antec 900 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post
I've tried upping the Vcore to 1.5V, which is the max for the E2180. My vdroop is .045V (1.425 in bios, then reads 1.38 in CPUID). The voltage doesn't change between idle and load with orthos. I have C1E and EIST disabled. No Spread Spectrum.
Do you mean 1.5v is the max your bios will allow you to set, or the max you are willing to set in the bios? Are you sure that your vdroop is the same for idle and load? Id say 95% of the time vdroop is different for load and idle. I would recheck that to be sure; use cpu-z to read actual vcore.

If your bios allows you to set the vcore beyond 1.5v, and your vdroop IS the same for both load and idle, then raise the voltage to compensate for the vdroop. (eg. if the max vcore you are willing to use is 1.5v, then raise the vcore to 1.545 in the bios to make your actual voltage 1.5v).


Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post

One question: My temps idle at 30 degrees in coretemp, and 45 in CPUID. Which one should I trust?
Coretemp is the most accurate IMO, so use that. 45c idle seems unlikely for idle temps at such low vcore.
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Okay. I'm getting 1.392 Idle and 1.376 load in orthos (set at 1.425 in bios).

I can set it over 1.6V I believe in the Bios.

Should I trust the CoreTemp temps?
post #7 of 24
The E2180's have an FSB ceiling. it varies between chips but it would be better to up the multi and decrease you FSB to hit your needs. I was able to do 3.2 with my kids chip at 320x10 stable.
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700k Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Dual 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Swiftech H240 X2 Prestige AIO Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Delux T9 Pro / Logitech K360 EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 750D Airflow Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Perixx DX-3000LAL Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700k Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Dual 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Swiftech H240 X2 Prestige AIO Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Delux T9 Pro / Logitech K360 EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 750D Airflow Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Perixx DX-3000LAL Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post
Okay. I'm getting 1.392 Idle and 1.376 load in orthos (set at 1.425 in bios).

I can set it over 1.6V I believe in the Bios.
Ok so your your idle and load vdroops are close, which is good because you can easily raise the bios voltage higher to compensate for vdroop without worrying about your idle vcore being too much.

You still have a lot of headroom for your voltages, so try raising them and see if you are stable. Try not to go past 1.55v actual voltage (1.5v if you are particularly paranoid) or 65c load temp, whichever comes first.

Also remember to compensate for vdroop like I said. So if for example you wanted ~1.5v vcore, you would set your bios vcore to like 1.55v. This would give you 1.501v actual vcore at load, and 1.517 actual vcore at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post
Should I trust the CoreTemp temps?
Yes, it is the most accurate.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
The E2180's have an FSB ceiling. it varies between chips but it would be better to up the multi and decrease you FSB to hit your needs. I was able to do 3.2 with my kids chip at 320x10 stable.
Oh, so then you could very well be hitting an fsb wall michaelmcgol. I would just use the 10x multi. If you are not satisfied with your ram speed, then you can always use a divider thats higher than 1:1.
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
I've heard that a 1:1 divider is the best (fastest). Is this not true?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Trying to my E2180 to 3.2Ghz (8x400)