Overclock.net banner

[ars] Windows 7 going modular, subscription

2K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  HrnyGoat 
#1 ·
Quote:
Mary Jo Foley is wagering that one of the big changes coming with Windows 7 is that it might be "available in pieces." That is to say, Windows 7 could be a modular OS. I'll go further. Windows 7 will be a modular OS, and we can already see the clues in Windows Vista, because it, too, is a fledgling modular OS. What we're talking about and why it matters (= software subscriptions), follows...
Source

#4 ·
AKA Gamers could minimize their OS for max performance?

That'd rock.

Wonder if it'll be like a built-in vlite type thing.

#6 ·
Well I don't think they would go so far as to say charge users $50/year for Aero, I just can't see them being that stupid.

However, if they had some kind of Windows Custom Edition that allowed you to custom design your own features, and only pay for what you want. For example, you could build an OS without superfetch, UAC, WMP, IE, system restore etc.. and save maybe $30. That would be sweet! (Which means they won't do it
)

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post
Well I don't think they would go so far as to say charge users $50/year for Aero, I just can't see them being that stupid.

However, if they had some kind of Windows Custom Edition that allowed you to custom design your own features, and only pay for what you want. For example, you could build an OS without superfetch, UAC, WMP, IE, system restore etc.. and save maybe $30. That would be sweet! (Which means they won't do it
)
No superfetch? Why on earth would you want to do that?

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Because a minimal OS doesn't need superfetch to start things extremely quickly?

Modular is the way to go. Just look at Gentoo.

Modular without the compiling part is pure win for the average overclock.net member.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
AKA Gamers could minimize their OS for max performance?

That'd rock.

Wonder if it'll be like a built-in vlite type thing.
LOL that's a cute idea ... more like they're going to charge even more money towards enthusiasts.

"Please insert $10 for DirectX rendering capabilities. Otherwise, please go back to playing Solitaire"

#12 ·
Well this is what the EU wanted for ms to make it so you could remove stuff but now they gone a step ahead and found ways to make even more money.

• Rep+
Reactions: MasterKromm
#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Because a minimal OS doesn't need superfetch to start things extremely quickly?

Modular is the way to go. Just look at Gentoo.

Modular without the compiling part is pure win for the average overclock.net member.

Even if it is minimal, it will never be faster than preloading commonly used files into the RAM. You still have to load files before using them......there's really no way around that. My load times on MP maps for COD4 and Frontlines Fuels of War are less than 5s.....normally around 2-3s.

#16 ·
Quote:

Because I still want to use 2GB of ram without dipping into the page file.

(Please don't get me started on superfetch...)

#17 ·
I think it would be much less of "pick what you want" like you guys are talking and more of a "keep adding things" kinda like the Vista Ultimate Extras on steroids. With MS's history of delays this would probably fail, hard. Half-Life 2 anyone? I love episodic gaming, but when I have to wait 1 year+ for a few hour expansion, it isn't as good as it could be.

#20 ·
Quote:

Faster boot times, less resources used. It also uses CPU resources to calculate predictions based on which programs will be most frequently used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
I have always thought that subscription based Windows was the best thing to do. It would minimize piracy big time.
No, it won't. And it will just drive more people to OSX and Linux.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
I think it would be much less of "pick what you want" like you guys are talking and more of a "keep adding things" kinda like the Vista Ultimate Extras on steroids. With MS's history of delays this would probably fail, hard. Half-Life 2 anyone? I love episodic gaming, but when I have to wait 1 year+ for a few hour expansion, it isn't as good as it could be.
If it's like Ultimate Extras, we don't have to worry about spending money because they won't release any addons for a few years.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post
Faster boot times, less resources used. It also uses CPU resources to calculate predictions based on which programs will be most frequently used.

No, it won't. And it will just drive more people to OSX and Linux.
Lets say they charged $5 a month for Windows. I think people would hop onto that in a heartbeat. Considering that Windows XP was around for 6 years, 6 x 12 x 5 -> $360... would net Microsoft a good profit for their OS while making the money spent by the end user drawn out so much that they wouldn't care.

#39 ·
Lets say they charged $5 a month for Windows.

lol that's wishful thinking

Quote:

I think people would hop onto that in a heartbeat.
Not a chance... I'm not going to write a check to m$ every month, and I'm not doing any online credit card crap to use an OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
So you're saying $300 for the OS isn't money? Damn you're an idiot. /flame caused by reading pages of idiotic things in this thread
Wow, nice one. Go and call me a "meanie," and go tell people they're idiots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bviper View Post
Heres something I don't think anyone has thought of yet. If its "modular" does that not mean we can by just parts like the GUI? Imagine running Aero on a linux kernel. (yes I know how impossible this would be, but one can dream right?)

How about just buying the windows kernel and running KDE or Gnome? Or kernel/GUI but use an open source search tool?

That being said being truly modular where we can pick the things we want/don't want including the kernel would rock, being subscription based would NOT. It would further drive people to linux and OSX.
Nah, that wouldn't work. m$ = proprietary software. It's not going to be open source - ever. That means it's not going to work with anything else.

Besides, why would you want aero on Linux? That would be embarrassing. Linux has Compiz-Fusion, which has everything aero has and then some.

#26 ·
Quote:

Lets say they charged $5 a month for Windows. I think people would hop onto that in a heartbeat. Considering that Windows XP was around for 6 years, 6 x 12 x 5 -> $360... would net Microsoft a good profit for their OS while making the money spent by the end user drawn out so much that they wouldn't care.
People aren't just gonna subscribe to an operating system, especially since OS's have always been a one-time payment. Look how things went over with MS trying to make online PC gaming subscription-based like Xbox Live. It won't work, and alienated customers will either stay with an older OS, switch to OSX/Linux, or circumvent the subscription system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.