Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › [Official] OCN Camera Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] OCN Camera Thread - Page 2236

post #22351 of 29539
Wait... people talking? No reports? It's a festivus miracle!

Also, apparently I just won Kohl's Dream Receipt contest for today at our local store. Nice lady with a clipboard stopped me on my way out, took my receipt and refunded the money I spent on xmas gifts.. moar money to spend on camera stuff! (not really, unfortunately I didn't spend alot)
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22352 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

smile.gif I understand I just can't afford to put out the money to test out these lenses. I'm thinking about taking a trip up to BHPhoto when I have the money to go FF though. But for now I'm just going to have to go with the well regarded primes and my common sense. I loved my 50 1.8 II so I already know that I'll love that lens and I don't see the point in spending $300 on the 1.4 version.
85mm would be nice just because it compresses more than the 50 and has better bokeh/quality and works as a medium telephoto on crop.
When I have the money to get a 200mm f 2.8/full frame I'm going to take a trip up to BH photo and test out lenses and body's.

since you shoot canon you can always rent the lens. even then a 85/1.2 is about 100 bucks for 5 days.

also take a look at the samyang 85/1.4. its not a prefect lens but its fairly good for its price.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22353 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

lol you really should test stuff instead of basing your decision on a lens from stuff you read and see online. thats a great way to at least find out what your options are. I would never spend that kind of money without actually testing a lens under my normal shooting conditions. other peoples experiences are not the same as your own. you may see and read the 200 2.8 as a great lens but until you test it out you really dont know how it works for you. you only know how it works for everyone else.
also 200 f1.8L or go home tongue.gif (aka go big or go home in case you cant tell...)

smile.gif I understand I just can't afford to put out the money to test out these lenses. I'm thinking about taking a trip up to BHPhoto when I have the money to go FF though. But for now I'm just going to have to go with the well regarded primes and my common sense. I loved my 50 1.8 II so I already know that I'll love that lens and I don't see the point in spending $300 on the 1.4 version.

85mm would be nice just because it compresses more than the 50 and has better bokeh/quality and works as a medium telephoto on crop.

When I have the money to get a 200mm f 2.8/full frame I'm going to take a trip up to BH photo and test out lenses and body's.

For someone that does so much reading about camera stuff online im shocked you dont know how cheap and easy it is to rent lenses.

Borrowlenses.com

So easy to test everything. I have rented quite a bit from them. Whenever new camera bodies come out i split rental fees with friends and rent canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, etc. for 3 days at a time. Everything i post about video cameras is from my experiences renting that gear. Thats the only way to learn about something thumb.gif

You can rent 135L and 200 2.8 for under $30 each for 3days. Slighly less than a special trip to NY where you can only test inside the B&H store wink.gif
Edited by Conspiracy - 12/18/12 at 6:42pm
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22354 of 29539
PENTAX 67 YES.
post #22355 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

For someone that does so much reading about camera stuff online im shocked you dont know how cheap and easy it is to rent lenses.
Borrowlenses.com
So easy to test everything. I have rented quite a bit from them. Whenever new camera bodies come out i split rental fees with friends and rent canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, etc. for 3 days at a time. Everything i post about video cameras is from my experiences renting that gear. Thats the only way to learn about something thumb.gif
You can rent 135L and 200 2.8 for under $30 each for 3days. Slighly less than a special trip to NY where you can only test inside the B&H store wink.gif

I know about the lens rental websites but $60 to rent two lenses is still kinda pricey....I'm going up to NY in January on a photo shoot so I'll stop at BHPhoto and try out the two lenses and kill two birds in one stone.

All of the lenses that are worth renting cost $30-60 to rent for 3 days lol.

You forgot to add in shipping by the way. To try out both the 85 1.8 and 135L would cost a total of $77 including shipping......tongue.gif.
Edited by Mwarren - 12/18/12 at 7:11pm
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22356 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs and bacon View Post

i was looking to try and get into medium format photography, on a budget. can anyone recommend a goodish (ie not absolutely horrible) camera?
tldr
what is the cheapest medium format camera (and lens) that wont fall apart after its second use?

What's your budget / negative size preference / size and carry preference?
post #22357 of 29539
I'll be in NY this weekend. I bet B&H will be closed..

(nope, just Saturday, which is fine..)
Edited by MistaBernie - 12/18/12 at 7:24pm
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
IvyBurn 2012
(14 items)
 
Lenovo Z580
(13 items)
 
Camera Stuff
(10 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3770k Gigabyte Z77-DS3H eVGA GTX 760 SC Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 830 LG Super Multi Blue Windows 8.1 Asus 24" 120hz 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC (Envision) I2367F IPS Ducky 1008-C  Corsair HX620 Cooler Master Storm Sniper 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G502 Logitech G240 
CPURAMHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5-3210M 8gb DDR3 Intel 730 Series SSD Windows 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22358 of 29539
lol if you arent willing to spend $30 to test a lens out then i dont know what to say. that is a killer deal to be able to test a lens out for 3 days any way that you want. honestly that is an amazing deal that beats online opinions from random people any day of the week.

if you are willing to invest that much in a lens, $30 is nothing. you dont have to rent both at the same time either lol. being stubborn isnt worth making a blind purchase on something you havent thoroughly tested considering you say you do portrait photography among other types. for someone that shoots and knows as much as you do, there is nothing better than being able to test a piece of gear the way you would be actually using it. especially if you are trying to do professional work, you cant afford to risk investing in something that isnt a sure thing.
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22359 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

lol if you arent willing to spend $30 to test a lens out then i dont know what to say. that is a killer deal to be able to test a lens out for 3 days any way that you want. honestly that is an amazing deal that beats online opinions from random people any day of the week.
if you are willing to invest that much in a lens, $30 is nothing. you dont have to rent both at the same time either lol. being stubborn isnt worth making a blind purchase on something you havent thoroughly tested considering you say you do portrait photography among other types. for someone that shoots and knows as much as you do, there is nothing better than being able to test a piece of gear the way you would be actually using it. especially if you are trying to do professional work, you cant afford to risk investing in something that isnt a sure thing.

I understand that but to rent even the 85 1.8 alone including shipping would cost me about $50......that's about 1/7th the price of the lens itself brand new. If I buy the Canon 85 1.8 and I'm not happy with it I can return it or resell it and only be at a loss by about $30-$40 if I decide to resell it within about a 6 month period as Canon lenses retain their value very very well.

So I can buy which ever lens that I want and if I'm not happy I can just resell it and not be at much of a loss. An example is the Tamron 17-50 that I currently have. I have been using it for a little over a month now and I paid $390 for it. I just sold it for $350 so I lost $40 on it. If I rented the lens from lensrentals I would have spent $51 to rent the lens including shipping. So for me it makes more sense to buy the lens that is highly regarded that I will more than likely like and if I'm not happy with it I can resell it for maybe a $30-40 loss.

The only reason why I got rid of my Tamron is because it doesn't even hold a candle to my old 50 1.8 II optically, is slower, and has terrible bokeh, and I love primes (I just wanted to see if I would like a constant aperture zoom which I found out I don't like, no biggie though)

Now if they had a shipping option that wasn't 2 day that costed $20+ and their rentals were slightly cheaper I would definitely consider it.
Edited by Mwarren - 12/18/12 at 7:34pm
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22360 of 29539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

I understand that but to rent even the 85 1.8 alone including shipping would cost me about $50......that's about 1/7th the price of the lens itself brand new. If I buy the Canon 85 1.8 and I'm not happy with it I can return it or resell it and only be at a loss by about $30-$40 if I decide to resell it within about a 6 month period as Canon lenses retain their value very very well.
So I can buy which ever lens that I want and if I'm not happy I can just resell it and not be at much of a loss. An example is the Tamron 17-50 that I currently have. I have been using it for a little over a month now and I paid $390 for it. I just sold it for $350 so I lost $40 on it. If I rented the lens from lensrentals I would have spent $51 to rent the lens including shipping. So for me it makes more sense to buy the lens that is highly regarded that I will more than likely like and if I'm not happy with it I can resell it for maybe a $30-40 loss.
The only reason why I got rid of my Tamron is because it doesn't even hold a candle to my old 50 1.8 II optically, is slower, and has terrible bokeh, and I love primes (I just wanted to see if I would like a constant aperture zoom which I found out I don't like, no biggie though)
Now if they had a shipping option that wasn't 2 day that costed $20+ and their rentals were slightly cheaper I would definitely consider it.

makes sense. you can try looking at local places that rent.

but i think many of us just do not have the time or want to deal with reselling a lens. thats why we dont mind spending a bit of money to rent a lens.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › [Official] OCN Camera Thread