Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › [Official] OCN Camera Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] OCN Camera Thread - Page 33

post #321 of 29551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoyd1 View Post
Well, its your money, but I'm going to recommend Nikon. I've used them for years (had my d70 for 3+ years now) and never had a problem. When i dropped a lense, they sent me a new one with in a week. And I was OVER the warranty. That alone will keep me with them.

And I can use old lenses from the 60s and 70s, which is a huge plus I think.
Hmmm, OK, thanks for sharing your opinion, I appreciate your insight .

I've looked briefly at the D40 you recommended and it's actually pretty cheap as DSLRs go it would seem. It is only around 6 mega-pixel though. Now, I know that the mega-pixel race isn't necessarily all that important in reality, compared to other factors like sensor and glass quality, but if I do upgrade, I'd sell my FZ50 to raise some cash.

With this in mind, I don't think I'd be happy going from 10 mega-pixels to 6, even if the image quality would be better. I'd want at least as many mega-pixels as I have now, preferably more if possible, but also with the added benefits of DSLR, like superior image quality at higher ISOs. It's these factors that attracted me to the Pentax K20D. It has more of all the qualities the FZ50 could do with more of, but it's also got a 14.6 mega-pixel sensor, which would be more than a 40% increase on what I have now, with all the benefits I don't have.

Could you suggest another Nikon (other than the D40) that has the following:
  • 10+ mega-pixel sensor.
  • Live view LCD screen.
  • Self cleaning dust protection sensor mechanism.
  • Built in Image stabilisation technology.
  • Uses a Li-ion battery pack.
  • Can shoot in RAW and has software to process RAW.
  • Uses SD/SDHC memory cards.
  • Expanded dynamic range functionality.
  • Full auto and manual modes, with mixes of both available.
  • Dust-proof and water-resistant.
  • Tough, robust construction.
  • Built in filler flash.
  • Multiple-sensor auto focusing array.
  • Must cost no more than £1100 including at leat two lenses.
I think that's all the main things I've learned that I'd like so far. Being light is also desirable, although not imperative.

Any suggestions, I be happy to hear .

Thanks!

Highly-Annoyed
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (400x9) Gigabyte EP45-DS3P HD4850 512MB 630/1000 4GB DDR2-800 OCZ Gold Rv.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
700GB SATA300 Storage Sony: 1x DVDROM, 1x DVDRW XP Home SP3 17" LCD (Black/Silver) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Spacesaver Corsair TX 750W Antec SLK3700-BQE (Black) Logitech RX250 USB 
Mouse Pad
Black Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (400x9) Gigabyte EP45-DS3P HD4850 512MB 630/1000 4GB DDR2-800 OCZ Gold Rv.2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
700GB SATA300 Storage Sony: 1x DVDROM, 1x DVDRW XP Home SP3 17" LCD (Black/Silver) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey Spacesaver Corsair TX 750W Antec SLK3700-BQE (Black) Logitech RX250 USB 
Mouse Pad
Black Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #322 of 29551
Oh man.... so much beauty abounds. Highly annoyed, the crispness and vivid capture of color that you attain is astounding.

Here are a few from Bodega Bay:







I'm sucha camera-dunce, it ain't even funny.

I have a Lady-friend that is into Cepia (sp?). She pulls off some really cool stuff... but it is all beyond me.

I just don't have the eye.
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #323 of 29551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly-Annoyed View Post
Hmmm, OK, thanks for sharing your opinion, I appreciate your insight .

I've looked briefly at the D40 you recommended and it's actually pretty cheap as DSLRs go it would seem. It is only around 6 mega-pixel though. Now, I know that the mega-pixel race isn't necessarily all that important in reality, compared to other factors like sensor and glass quality, but if I do upgrade, I'd sell my FZ50 to raise some cash.

With this in mind, I don't think I'd be happy going from 10 mega-pixels to 6, even if the image quality would be better. I'd want at least as many mega-pixels as I have now, preferably more if possible, but also with the added benefits of DSLR, like superior image quality at higher ISOs. It's these factors that attracted me to the Pentax K20D. It has more of all the qualities the FZ50 could do with more of, but it's also got a 14.6 mega-pixel sensor, which would be more than a 40% increase on what I have now, with all the benefits I don't have.

Could you suggest another Nikon (other than the D40) that has the following:
  • 10+ mega-pixel sensor.
  • Live view LCD screen.
  • Self cleaning dust protection sensor mechanism.
  • Built in Image stabilisation technology.
  • Uses a Li-ion battery pack.
  • Can shoot in RAW and has software to process RAW.
  • Uses SD/SDHC memory cards.
  • Expanded dynamic range functionality.
  • Full auto and manual modes, with mixes of both available.
  • Dust-proof and water-resistant.
  • Tough, robust construction.
  • Built in filler flash.
  • Multiple-sensor auto focusing array.
  • Must cost no more than £1100 including at leat two lenses.
I think that's all the main things I've learned that I'd like so far. Being light is also desirable, although not imperative.

Any suggestions, I be happy to hear .

Thanks!

Highly-Annoyed
Highly, a Nikon D80 would fit your needs perfectly, only $659 USD for the body. That leaves plenty of wherewithal for lenses. And about lenses, keep in mind that there are decent third party lens manufacturers like Tamron and Sigma, but they often lack Nikon specific features like Vibration Reduction and other features like ultra sonic motors.

The camera I use, a Canon 400D (aka Rebel XTi) also fit the bill. Body only for that is around $500 USD. Canon makes the best lenses in my opinion.
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #324 of 29551
what do u guys think of the e410 evolt by the way the reviews are great but i would like to know what u guys think
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #325 of 29551
what do u think of this pic (i have been trying out macro shots lately but as you can imagine its next thing to impossible to get one with no manual focus
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #326 of 29551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugan23 View Post
what do u guys think of the e410 evolt by the way the reviews are great but i would like to know what u guys think
For the price, which seems to be between $350 - 400 or so for the body only, the E-410 is a decent camera. That camera seems to depend on its proprietary noise filtering system to produce clean high ISO shots rather than relying on a decent sensor. It uses a 4/3" sensor which is on the small side for a DSLR. It apparently has a tiny viewfinder as well, which is can be a huge pain. But if you can get one on the cheap - definitely go for it. This camera is very flexible its lens compatiblity - it can use any FourThirds lens, which there are a lot of.

For that price range, I would alsoconsider at a Canon 350D or a Nikon D40
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #327 of 29551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Oh man.... so much beauty abounds. Highly annoyed, the crispness and vivid capture of color that you attain is astounding.

Here are a few from Bodega Bay:







I'm sucha camera-dunce, it ain't even funny.

I have a Lady-friend that is into Cepia (sp?). She pulls off some really cool stuff... but it is all beyond me.

I just don't have the eye.
"Sepia" Those are some great landscape shots Syrillian. You do have an eye and don't know it! You followed the "Rule of thirds" for landscapes without even realizing it (or maybe you did and I'm being presumptuous)!
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #328 of 29551
i do agree that the d40 is better than the than the evolt, but my reason for looking somewhere else other than Nikon d40 as primitive and stupid as this may sound is the fact that every one here(in mayfield) has one. when my friends get together for example last week when we went to the metro park they actually mixed up bodies (CAN U BELIEVE THAT) there was 4 d40s in the trunk that day i guess that means its the best entry level but i was wishing for something else for the same price. that eos 350 d might be too pricey tho am still looking
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
sword cutlass
(13 items)
 
  
CPURAMHard DriveOS
q6600  2gb ddr2 crutial Balistix  1x hitachi 500gb ubuntu 12.04 
MonitorKeyboardPower
22inch acer Microsoft 3000 v2 antec 500watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #329 of 29551
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugan23 View Post
i do agree that the d40 is better than the than the evolt, but my reason for looking somewhere else other than Nikon d40 as primitive and stupid as this may sound is the fact that every one here(in mayfield) has one. when my friends get together for example last week when we went to the metro park they actually mixed up bodies (CAN U BELIEVE THAT) there was 4 d40s in the trunk that day i guess that means its the best entry level but i was wishing for something else for the same price. that eos 350 d might be too pricey tho am still looking
I think you're right to pass on the D40 for one huge screaming reason: it has no auto focus motor in the body. That means Nikon only lenses or no auto focus.
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
Brick Sh*thouse
(26 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2520M Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Intel i5 Motherboard 04W2109 Intel HD3000 Crucial 4x2 GB DDR3 PC1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB SSD Nope Itty-Bitty Fans and Heatsinks Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 12.5" 1366x768 IPS Lenovo Keyboard Lenovo 90W AC Adapter Lenovo X Series ThinkPad Chassis 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech M510 Desk Conexant 1 Watt Stereo Speakers Lenovo TrackPoint 
Other
Lenovo TouchPad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #330 of 29551
w00t, my n2000 arrived, now i just need my lens to get here
Screaming Mantis
(15 items)
 
Raging Raven
(9 items)
 
Crying Wolf
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770 Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 ASUS 7970 DUII Corsair Vengence LP 2 x 8 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB x 2 ASUS Bluray drive Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS PA238Q x 2 ASUS PA238QR Logitech Illuminated Corsair HX1050 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT02 bw/w Razer Lachesis T.C Electronic Konnekt 24d with Grado SR225 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570  P8H77-I 560ti 16gb Viper 3 Mamba Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingPower
120GB 840 series 4 * 3TB WD RED antec 620 Seasonic S12II 520W 
Case
Fractal design node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Q6600 B3 Asus P5K-C 8800 GTS 320 Seagate 7200.10 320GB, WD Caviar Green 2TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG DVD DL writter 7 Ulitimate Asus VS248H (1920*1080) Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C Silencer 750 Antec 900 Razor Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
Screaming Mantis
(15 items)
 
Raging Raven
(9 items)
 
Crying Wolf
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770 Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 ASUS 7970 DUII Corsair Vengence LP 2 x 8 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB x 2 ASUS Bluray drive Noctua DH-14 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ASUS PA238Q x 2 ASUS PA238QR Logitech Illuminated Corsair HX1050 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT02 bw/w Razer Lachesis T.C Electronic Konnekt 24d with Grado SR225 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570  P8H77-I 560ti 16gb Viper 3 Mamba Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingPower
120GB 840 series 4 * 3TB WD RED antec 620 Seasonic S12II 520W 
Case
Fractal design node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Q6600 B3 Asus P5K-C 8800 GTS 320 Seagate 7200.10 320GB, WD Caviar Green 2TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG DVD DL writter 7 Ulitimate Asus VS248H (1920*1080) Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C Silencer 750 Antec 900 Razor Lachesis 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › [Official] OCN Camera Thread