Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says - Page 18

post #171 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Sorry. Macs are generally much more expensive given the same hardware. Don't believe me? Go to the Apple Store and Dell or HP's, or Gateway's site. Customize the laptops with virtually the same hardware. Look at the final price. 99% of the time, the PC is going to be much less expensive. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. I've done it multiple times and yet to have a Mac be cheaper with almost identical hardware.

Sure, it's hard to get them exactly the same. If you want, make the PC's have slightly better hardware. I can almost guarantee you it'll still be cheaper.

I'm not trying to say Macs or PC's are "better" with this. I'm just pointing out an obvious fact that Macs generally cost significantly more with the same hardware.

Like I said, try it yourself.
QFT

It is part of Macs pricing scheme. OSX on its own isnt that bad in price but to get a system that has it already on it, you are paying a premium and that is what I dislike so I guess I'm not in the 40% that has decided to pay the extra cash either out of pocket or with financial aid for a system.
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #172 of 246
So, I am going for the portable 13' notebooks that have enough power to run a decent game if I am feeling up to it.

SPECS FOR SMALLER MORE PORATBLE NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Mac: Macbook --Price I got it at: $1200 ($1300 normally) (I got a student discount because we have a Mac store at school)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Specs for Dell: XPS M1330 price = $1,334 (almost 1337, NICE! I may actually fool around with the hardware later to see if I can manage it.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED
Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Size: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini-Card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0


SPECS FOR LARGER MORE GAMING/GRAPHICS FRIENDLY NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Macbook ProRICE: $2000
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
200GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

OR

Specs for Macbook Pro (BETTER- 17' Screen)RICE: $2800 (I personally think 17" screen for a notebook is way to freaking big)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

(ALSO...if you add 2gb more from Apple directly, it costs you 400 dollars more, so, $3200 total)


Specs for Dell XPS M1730rice: $2400
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition - English
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
2GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Speed: 160GB3 SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics
--Getting lazy...a bunch of other normal crap like sound and color and battery n stuff is here

OR

Specs for better dell: Price $3524
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition - English (YAY)
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
4GB4 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
RAID Protection: 250GB3 (2x250GB) 5400RPM
NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB2 GDDR3 Memory
-Other crap too...as above

I would only trust Dell with a notebook. They have excellent notebooks and the XPS line is pretty good I hear. I wont even touch HP or Compaq or Sony (Besides...Sony is even more expensive...)

There's your freaking proof. Now, tell me the Macbook is more expensive. I want to hear it.
-Elyaas.


EDIT: I'm not even mentioning the service you get from Apple compared to Dell.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #173 of 246
You guys aren't getting this.

First off, stop using engineering as an example, not everyone goes into engineering.

Its about the OS and apples support, which so far has been amazing for me. The laptops are great for school. The OS comes bundled with a ton of software and doesn't have any bloatware on it. Its a simplistic OS and is easy to use for school work.

One thing OCN refuses to get is people buy what they like, most people buy macs because they love the OS. Also, the OS isn't demanding, thus the hardware will be different than in a PC.

I don't get why you can decide that a computer sucks because you don't like it.

IT IS PREFERENCE. Stop denying that and let people spend THERE money one what they want. Not what you want.
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #174 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionEx View Post
It is part of Macs pricing scheme. OSX on its own isnt that bad in price but to get a system that has it already on it, you are paying a premium and that is what I dislike so I guess I'm not in the 40% that has decided to pay the extra cash either out of pocket or with financial aid for a system.
well honestly its not a premium to have the OSX you pay for all the extra software you get as in the iLife Suite which costs around 300 dollars which they pretty much give you for free on the laptop when you get it and this is for a year not a 30 day trial that you get for office on windows laptops and then you also get the amazing service from Apple for a year. This includes everything ..EVERYTHING inside the box... every other company such as dell and gateway do not cover their battery after the first year even if you get the 4 year plan or wateva but if you do that with an apple it is covered and anything goes wrong walk in as in for example my battery stops charging take it in they check my mac see it doesnt charge I get a new batter and I am out the door I cannot see ANY other company doing that.
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #175 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You guys aren't getting this.

First off, stop using engineering as an example, not everyone goes into engineering.

Its about the OS and apples support, which so far has been amazing for me. The laptops are great for school. The OS comes bundled with a ton of software and doesn't have any bloatware on it. Its a simplistic OS and is easy to use for school work.

One thing OCN refuses to get is people buy what they like, most people buy macs because they love the OS. Also, the OS isn't demanding, thus the hardware will be different than in a PC.

I don't get why you can decide that a computer sucks because you don't like it.

IT IS PREFERENCE. Stop denying that and let people spend THERE money one what they want. Not what you want.
WOOO! I love my Mac as an English Major. If I was still CS (Computer Science...programing...it's in our Engineering program), I would still love it because I would just install linux on it and program my face off.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #176 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
IT IS PREFERENCE. Stop denying that and let people spend THERE money one what they want. Not what you want.
It sure is. People can spend their money however they want. If someone wants to spend a considerable amount extra for the same hardware and OSX, then by all means....
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #177 of 246
I agree, spend money on what you want and how you want.
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #178 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
It sure is. People can spend their money however they want. If someone wants to spend a considerable amount extra for the same hardware and OSX, then by all means....
Please refer to my post above.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #179 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
So, I am going for the portable 13' notebooks that have enough power to run a decent game if I am feeling up to it.

SPECS FOR SMALLER MORE PORATBLE NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Mac: Macbook --Price I got it at: $1200 ($1300 normally) (I got a student discount because we have a Mac store at school)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Specs for Dell: XPS M1330 price = $1,334 (almost 1337, NICE! I may actually fool around with the hardware later to see if I can manage it.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED
Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Size: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini-Card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0


SPECS FOR LARGER MORE GAMING/GRAPHICS FRIENDLY NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Macbook ProRICE: $2000
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
200GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

OR

Specs for Macbook Pro (BETTER- 17' Screen)RICE: $2800 (I personally think 17" screen for a notebook is way to freaking big)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

(ALSO...if you add 2gb more from Apple directly, it costs you 400 dollars more, so, $3200 total)


Specs for Dell XPS M1730rice: $2400
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition - English
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
2GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Speed: 160GB3 SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics
--Getting lazy...a bunch of other normal crap like sound and color and battery n stuff is here

OR

Specs for better dell: Price $3524
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition - English (YAY)
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
4GB4 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
RAID Protection: 250GB3 (2x250GB) 5400RPM
NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB2 GDDR3 Memory
-Other crap too...as above

I would only trust Dell with a notebook. They have excellent notebooks and the XPS line is pretty good I hear. I wont even touch HP or Compaq or Sony (Besides...Sony is even more expensive...)

There's your freaking proof. Now, tell me the Macbook is more expensive. I want to hear it.
-Elyaas.


EDIT: I'm not even mentioning the service you get from Apple compared to Dell.
You also aren't mentioning the peripherals you get through Dell that you don't get through Apple, and with your MacBook Pro comparison you just proved that MacBooks are more expensive so I don't know what you're so upset about. If you go lower end, you apparently get the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You guys aren't getting this.

First off, stop using engineering as an example, not everyone goes into engineering.

Its about the OS and apples support, which so far has been amazing for me. The laptops are great for school. The OS comes bundled with a ton of software and doesn't have any bloatware on it. Its a simplistic OS and is easy to use for school work.

One thing OCN refuses to get is people buy what they like, most people buy macs because they love the OS. Also, the OS isn't demanding, thus the hardware will be different than in a PC.

I don't get why you can decide that a computer sucks because you don't like it.

IT IS PREFERENCE. Stop denying that and let people spend THERE money one what they want. Not what you want.
No, you aren't getting it. I used engineering as an example of why getting a MacBook would not be worth it. It is a perfect example of when a MacBook is not good enough for school, whether you want to accept it or not. It doesn't mean it is always the case, so get your panties out of a bunch about it.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #180 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
So, I am going for the portable 13' notebooks that have enough power to run a decent game if I am feeling up to it.

SPECS FOR SMALLER MORE PORATBLE NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Mac: Macbook --Price I got it at: $1200 ($1300 normally) (I got a student discount because we have a Mac store at school)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Specs for Dell: XPS M1330 price = $1,334 (almost 1337, NICE! I may actually fool around with the hardware later to see if I can manage it.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED
Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Size: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini-Card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0


SPECS FOR LARGER MORE GAMING/GRAPHICS FRIENDLY NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Macbook ProRICE: $2000
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
200GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

OR

Specs for Macbook Pro (BETTER- 17' Screen)RICE: $2800 (I personally think 17" screen for a notebook is way to freaking big)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

(ALSO...if you add 2gb more from Apple directly, it costs you 400 dollars more, so, $3200 total)


Specs for Dell XPS M1730rice: $2400
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition - English
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
2GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Speed: 160GB3 SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics
--Getting lazy...a bunch of other normal crap like sound and color and battery n stuff is here

OR

Specs for better dell: Price $3524
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition - English (YAY)
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
4GB4 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
RAID Protection: 250GB3 (2x250GB) 5400RPM
NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB2 GDDR3 Memory
-Other crap too...as above

I would only trust Dell with a notebook. They have excellent notebooks and the XPS line is pretty good I hear. I wont even touch HP or Compaq or Sony (Besides...Sony is even more expensive...)

There's your freaking proof. Now, tell me the Macbook is more expensive. I want to hear it.
-Elyaas.


EDIT: I'm not even mentioning the service you get from Apple compared to Dell.
The XPS line is as overpriced as your precious mac's, and not worthy of being used as an example for price comparison.

Now take the Dell Vostro 1500 line, and compare it to the Macbook Pro, which retails at $2,799. I customized a 1500 to match the specs to a macbook pro (2.5ghz C2D, 8600M GT, 2GB memory, 250GB HDD, etc). Funny thing is, it only came out to $1,292.

$2,799 - $1,292 = $1,507
$1,292 / $1,507 = 1.166 = Macbook Pro 117% MORE expensive for what you get than the Vostro.

That's a freaking HUGE difference, I don't care which way you put it. The Macbook is MORE THAN TWICE AS EXPENSIVE as the PC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says