Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says - Page 21

post #201 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
no bro i agree with you you do not need alot like i said before but what I am saying is that they are not over priced... they are a very competitively priced its not like how other have said $500 over priced compared to other systems they might be atmost $100 something over and paying for a good battery life and lighter for an extra 100 or so you know well thats the main reason and as i have said b4 I just finished my kick-ass beast of a desktop (worklog in my sig) take a look guys
I know you agree with me, I remember you saying so earlier. I was just restating my opinion because nobody bothered to read the other posts.
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #202 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
And ok, point taken that the macbook isn't quite as much of a ripoff as the macbook pro. Probably the only reason you're paying even that much for it is that it's got the 2.4ghz proc. No low-end laptops in the PC world have that option, and to pay an extra few hundred for it compared to a 1.8ghz is ridiculous anyway. The other things (wireless N, bluetooth, 2GB, etc) are +$25 options on dell.com, so they really don't add much at all to the price of a PC laptop.

And if you count the countless libraries of free software available for the PC compared to the Mac, the PC "ships" with TONS more in useable software than the Mac (though I agree the trialware problem is rampant, but Dell has cut down on it). But seriously, what app ships with the Mac that you cannot find a free PC counterpart for?
well I personally wanted the black and you need a 2.4GHz for the black case (i dont like that part but you know it happens with other companies aswell) well talking about the free software I havent paid for anything on my mac after i bought it there are pretty much the same like free softwares for both...there might be more for the PC but you can find software for free that do the same things as their PC counter part. I personally dont know of any but i dont think you get as a complicated (yet easy) software such as iMovie for the PC for free. I mean windows has the video editor but its very basic just cut and paste. and garageband basically i think their iLife suite is a great set that you get for free and you only have to pay if you want to upgrade to the newest version.
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #203 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
so you have a laptop that costs $750 or your looking for one that costs $750?? cuz I payed 1500 and most ppl here payed that much to get a macbook. i have said earlier that the MBP might be over priced but the MB is definitely priced pretty close to the comparisons. and I have never seen a $750 laptop that contains everything my laptop does such as 2.4GHz C2D, bluetooth, wifi N, long battery life, 2GB of Ram and 3 year warranty etc... (yet again macs contain free software but with other laptops such as dell and gateways you dont... you get TRIALWARE)
I dont see you backing up anything you said as in yea its great that the vostro costs 1200 whateva but compare it to a macbook and see what you get both software wise and hardware wise. you will be in for a little suprise

oh and about the battery after 9 months those SIX hour batteries dont even hold charges and here are some real ppl reviews link

another set of reviews for the 6-cell battery (its a bit better but still has LOADS of prblems) LINK
wt* do you need a C2D and 2gb of RAM in a macbook for? iPhoto? honestly... people are like "yeah, but my macbook has sick performance" it doesn't matter man, most people don't need more than a single core P4 in a laptop...

and don't give me this "free extra long battery life upgrade" BS... you NEED that monstrous battery to be able to power those ridiculous specs.

Edit: I'd rather buy a wal-mart laptop for 650 dollars with a dual core turion and 1gb of ram and install linux on it than have that... that way I have security, portability, battery life, peformance enough to get my in-school word processing done, and a price that doesn't make me want to hang myself for being such a gluttonous dink.
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
post #204 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Rommel View Post
wt* do you need a C2D and 2gb of RAM in a macbook for? iPhoto? honestly... people are like "yeah, but my macbook has sick performance" it doesn't matter man, most people don't need more than a single core P4 in a laptop...

and don't give me this "free extra long battery life upgrade" BS... you NEED that monstrous battery to be able to power those ridiculous specs.

Edit: I'd rather buy a wal-mart laptop for 650 dollars with a dual core turion and 1gb of ram and install linux on it than have that... that way I have portability, battery life, peformance enough to get my in-school word processing done, and a price that doesn't make me want to hang myself for being such a gluttonous dink.
wow dude did you even read the posts i made after that... you dont NEED it i CHOSE to get it with MY money....dude seriously i didnt say anything of the sort about "sick performance" I am saying even with ALL that stuff "i dont need" i still run about 5 hours of battery life... how long will your walmart $650 one last... point of a laptop is not to be left on your desktop (especially not in college) I need to take it to school and if you had read my posts maybe you would understand a bit more rather than just being a douche. haha I have never heard even a top of the line XPSs have as good a battery life as a mac and many have agreed to that so forgive me if your "opinion" seems retarded to me
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
LittleDevil
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 Asus Rampage III Gene EVGA GTX 470 Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit Samsung P2770H Logitech G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX750W NZXT Vulcan Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #205 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Ah, I see. Since you finally admit the numbers prove you wrong, you switch to libelous name calling like "pieces of garbage", "not portable at all", and "bottom of the barrel" to compensate somehow. That's just your opinion. That is arguable, the numbers aren't. You aren't fooling anyone. See my sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
I said they were not portable at all from the start. And the Inspirons do look like garbage. And yes, that is just my opinion, and thats why I got a mac.

I also am not trying to fool anyone. A Mac is just as much as an equal quality notebook of any other brand. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a piece of hardware, you better bet I am going to get high quality stuff. Isn't that at least part of the reason why we all are on this site anyways. Building high quality PCs?

Thanks for the links omaryunus. He is also basically right about the MBPs...they aren't as well priced as the normal Macbook is. Guess what, I didn't buy one. To be honest, unless someone doesn't have a gaming machine, I would never recommend anyone getting one. A Macbook does everything. But like I said before. If I traveled a lot or I just started hating desktop PCs or something, I would rather buy a MBP then a Dell. Price or whatever. I prefer it.
My point was very simple: a PC notebook will generally cost you much less than a Mac notebook with comparable hardware. You just reiterate that with your post here. You also reaffirm that you are attempting to switch your argument from cost (in your earlier posts) to "preference". Like I said, you aren't fooling anyone. "Price or whatever"? What does that mean? "A Macbook does everything" ... what is "everything"? Does that mean a PC wont do some things? Examples? And "high quality stuff"? What makes PC notebooks not "high quality" then? You're stating vague, ambiguous reasons why a Mac is "better" without making any real points - under the guise of your personal preference.

And "not portable at all"?? Give me a break. It's not as if they're bolted to the ground.

Sure, there is preference involved. But I think logically.

We agree that PC notebooks generally cost less for the same hardware. This is fact.

The rest is up to the individual, unless you can come up with some data or facts that specifically make one or the other "better".

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If you feel like spending a significant amount more for what you believe makes something better, by all means do it. But don't try to passively give off a bunch of vague terms, under your own opinion, to try and imply a Mac is somehow inherently "better" when you can't win with the numbers. I can see right through that, and so do most people here.

PS: I'm just trying to separate fact from opinion.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #206 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
I really like my Macbooks cooling system. Very intuitive, honstly. The air is sucked in through the keys and the exhaust vent is out the back...works good enough for me. It never really gets hot either.
Actually, the air doesn't come through the keys. If you ever took your MB apart, you would know.

It comes through the side of the back vent. The fan is in the middle, and the intake is along the side of that.

It is, however, optimized for quietness rather than high performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
But they are overpriced compared to a windows computer of the same specs. And they are not the smallest laptops you can get. Just look at the Eee PC, the only thing that thing can do is Word Processing, no modern game will run on it. But its small, light and portable. It also has windows.
Oh, God... You're going to compare an EEE with a laptop? I thought we were all through this when the EEE debuted? The EEE is an ultraportable computer. It is NOT a "laptop." You're doing an apples to oranges comparison. I'm going to just ignore the rest, because it's absurd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
THG, you wana take this one?
Why, yes, I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Cept it's not a LITTLE bit extra... it's like 3x extra. I mean, you can buy a brand new Vista PC with the SAME specs and functionality as a macbook (for the average student anyway) for 1/3 the cost. Why in the world would you spend $1,200 on a macbook when you can buy a system with the same specs and a more generally compatible OS for $400? That's what I really can't understand....
WHY DO YOU ALL INSIST ON IGNORING ME?!

If you compare a dell or Toshiba or whatever laptop to a Mac and consider the following, the price gap might not seem that big anymore:

Apple sees themselves as "brand name." They charge a little more for that. On a Mac, the computer is pre-loaded with lots of 1st party software. Most people find it useful. It comes with a whole media suite, iLife.

Your average pre-built PC comes pre-loaded with crapware and adware. That CRAP is on your computer to lower the cost! They are advertising to you on your own computer! On a Mac, you don't get the adware! Therefore, the prices on Macs are going to be higher!

Advertising isn't cheap, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
What more proof do you want?

And 512mb vram on an 8600M is pretty useless IMO. MAYBE if you're working with 100's of 25mp photos, but even then, it'd be difficult to fill that up.
You failed to realize the following:

1. The dell doesn't have a webcam. EVERY Mac has a webcam.
2. Your dell only has wireless G. EVERY Mac has wireless N and can utilize the 5GHz bandwidth.
3. Your dell does NOT have the full version of the windows vista OS. It has the crippled "business edition." How dare you compare the full version of OSX to the crippled "business edition" of windows. Compare the full version or nothing.
4. Bluetooth isn't specified on that laptop.
5. CRAPWARE! THAT DELL IS GOING TO COME FULL OF CRAPWARE AND ADWARE SO THAT THEY CAN ADVERTISE TO YOU ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER!!! That DRASTICALLY lowers the price of the dell. Advertising is an expensive business. The prices of Apple computers are NOT subsidized by adware. Why does everyone keep ignoring this fact and insisting that Apple computers are expensive for no reason?
post #207 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
You failed to realize the following:

1. The dell doesn't have a webcam. EVERY Mac has a webcam.
2. Your dell only has wireless G. EVERY Mac has wireless N and can utilize the 5GHz bandwidth.
3. Your dell does NOT have the full version of the windows vista OS. It has the crippled "business edition." How dare you compare the full version of OSX to the crippled "business edition" of windows. Compare the full version or nothing.
4. Bluetooth isn't specified on that laptop.
5. CRAPWARE! THAT DELL IS GOING TO COME FULL OF CRAPWARE AND ADWARE SO THAT THEY CAN ADVERTISE TO YOU ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER!!! That DRASTICALLY lowers the price of the dell. Advertising is an expensive business. The prices of Apple computers are NOT subsidized by adware. Why does everyone keep ignoring this fact?
1. Good point. Correction: even all Inspirons come with built in webcams.

2. You can upgrade to this feature.

3. You can upgrade to Vista Ultimate.

4. Bluetooth is an option even on Dell Inspirons.

5. I admit that most PC notebooks come with at least some "crapware" pre-installed. You can remove this, however.

I believe 2, 3, and 4 could probably be upgraded and still cost less than a comparable Mac, however. I'll have to check this out.

PS: And who's to say OSX is "better" than even Vista Business? The OS is one of the variables in the argument that give reason to buy one over the other. I don't think that comparison should be made, cost wise. It should be one of the distinct reasons separating the two - preference-wise.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #208 of 246
The adware and other useless stuff can be removed, it´s not something you HAVE to live with. On the other hand, I hate taking the time to do that on my windows machines. I´ll be honest!! I don´t have a Mac BUT I did intern with the techs at my high school (90 of machines were mac) for 15 weeks so I didn´t ¨touch a mac once and get scurred¨ ..lol. I was under the impression there was much software that came with mac machines that mirrored what you may get with MS office? If this is still the case that´s easily $150 at least in software.

If you get a machine loaded with a recovery partition and/or a recovery disk that nifty disk also has all of that adware/junk built in to it as well meaning that each time you reinstall you get all that crap you probably spent an hour getting rid of comes back. EDIT #3: If you are running XP chances are better than not that you have made use of this disk or that partition at least once..
The web cam and wireless N is a pretty weak argument IMO though... If you can find a wireless N hot spot or even a home with N that isn´t secured, you´d be the first I know of lol.

EDIT: Where I work we sell a lot of brands, some crap-ware is an understatement.

EDIT #2: In my haste I forgot what I was going to originally say! I have many friends that desire macs vs preloaded Windows but very few have yet to purchase them. I only have one friend with a mac. It´s my understanding that software is becoming less of an issue on macs because of virtualization, is this correct? It doesn´t change the fact that most college students seem lazy and somehow... unmotivated to put the beer down. At least out of the people I know haha.
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
5820K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-5820k @ 4.5GHz ASUS X-99/USB 3.1 RX RS 480 8GB 1x8GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 535 120GB Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 ASUS 24inch 1080p60 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft natural 4000 Seasonic FP Series SSR-850FX Corsair Air 740 Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Ripper XXL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #209 of 246
Macs suck bawls anyway. There so expencive and with no games who would ever want to buy one.

Except for gay people, everyone who owns a mac are gays or people with no life. Windows is so much better.
Awsomness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAM
QX9100 Quad 9800GT 4 gig OZ 
  hide details  
Reply
Awsomness
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAM
QX9100 Quad 9800GT 4 gig OZ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #210 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaryunus View Post
wow dude did you even read the posts i made after that... you dont NEED it i CHOSE to get it with MY money....dude seriously i didnt say anything of the sort about "sick performance" I am saying even with ALL that stuff "i dont need" i still run about 5 hours of battery life... how long will your walmart $650 one last... point of a laptop is not to be left on your desktop (especially not in college) I need to take it to school and if you had read my posts maybe you would understand a bit more rather than just being a douche. haha I have never heard even a top of the line XPSs have as good a battery life as a mac and many have agreed to that so forgive me if your "opinion" seems retarded to me
you completely missed 100% of my point...

I couldn't give rats arse what you do with you money, if you want to waste it on a mac, so be it.

If you had fully understood what I was saying, you would have realized that my main argument was that you DO NOT NEED a macbook with a 2.4ghz C2D and all those extra useless mac gadgets to take notes in a modern america class.

All you need is a 500 dollar Wal-mart PC that will run for the same amount of time as your precious macbook, because even though its battery may suck, its not running some ridiculous specs so that you can run MS Word at 9 million fps.

And it doesn't really matter anyway, no amount of reasoning or supposed logic can justify the insane prices of Mac's products.
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says