Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says - Page 22

post #211 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Santi View Post
Macs suck bawls anyway. There so expencive and with no games who would ever want to buy one.

Except for gay people, everyone who owns a mac are gays or people with no life. Windows is so much better.
Hello my friend, let me introduce you to the ban hammer. I'm sure you two will get to know each other real soon like.
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #212 of 246
-removed-

But seriously, let's keep it civil, people. lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #213 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post


You failed to realize the following:

1. The dell doesn't have a webcam. EVERY Mac has a webcam.
2. Your dell only has wireless G. EVERY Mac has wireless N and can utilize the 5GHz bandwidth.
3. Your dell does NOT have the full version of the windows vista OS. It has the crippled "business edition." How dare you compare the full version of OSX to the crippled "business edition" of windows. Compare the full version or nothing.
4. Bluetooth isn't specified on that laptop.
5. CRAPWARE! THAT DELL IS GOING TO COME FULL OF CRAPWARE AND ADWARE SO THAT THEY CAN ADVERTISE TO YOU ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER!!! That DRASTICALLY lowers the price of the dell. Advertising is an expensive business. The prices of Apple computers are NOT subsidized by adware. Why does everyone keep ignoring this fact and insisting that Apple computers are expensive for no reason?
I just went the Dell.com and saw their inspiron models, All of them come with built in mic and webcam.

As always people like to choose their things. Wireless N is an option with every laptop through Dell

Vista Home premium is almost the full version of Windows Vista. No need for "HOW DARE YOU". Are you getting offended from people who are pissing on your over priced product?

As always Bluetooth is an option with every inspiron

As always, its a reformat away to remove any crapware that comes with the Dell.


I see that you fail at gathering basic information.
sh1v
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 SLACR @ 2.7ghz GigaByte DS3R P35 Nvidia 7800GT @ stock Corsair Ballistix PC6400 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Maxtor 320Gb HDD Windows Vista Ult WestingHouse 24" Logitech G15 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900 Razr DeathAddr Func Surface 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
sh1v
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 SLACR @ 2.7ghz GigaByte DS3R P35 Nvidia 7800GT @ stock Corsair Ballistix PC6400 2GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Maxtor 320Gb HDD Windows Vista Ult WestingHouse 24" Logitech G15 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900 Razr DeathAddr Func Surface 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #214 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
-removed-

But seriously, let's keep it civil, people. lol.
Oh, somebody finally laughed at my post and then removed it...
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #215 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Santi View Post
Macs suck bawls anyway. There so expencive and with no games who would ever want to buy one.

Except for gay people, everyone who owns a mac are gays or people with no life. Windows is so much better.
Brilliant comment, next time learn to spell.
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #216 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
My point was very simple: a PC notebook will generally cost you much less than a Mac notebook with comparable hardware. You just reiterate that with your post here. You also reaffirm that you are attempting to switch your argument from cost (in your earlier posts) to "preference". Like I said, you aren't fooling anyone. "Price or whatever"? What does that mean? "A Macbook does everything" ... what is "everything"? Does that mean a PC wont do some things? Examples? And "high quality stuff"? What makes PC notebooks not "high quality" then? You're stating vague, ambiguous reasons why a Mac is "better" without making any real points - under the guise of your personal preference.

And "not portable at all"?? Give me a break. It's not as if they're bolted to the ground.

Sure, there is preference involved. But I think logically.

We agree that PC notebooks generally cost less for the same hardware. This is fact.

The rest is up to the individual, unless you can come up with some data or facts that specifically make one or the other "better".

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If you feel like spending a significant amount more for what you believe makes something better, by all means do it. But don't try to passively give off a bunch of vague terms, under your own opinion, to try and imply a Mac is somehow inherently "better" when you can't win with the numbers. I can see right through that, and so do most people here.

PS: I'm just trying to separate fact from opinion.
Let me state first that that 'everything' is refering back to the MBP...but just because you begged the question...lets do this. Can you install OSX onto a PC? (without some roundabout hacking that I am not aware of) Can you install Vista on a Mac? Can I do everything on a PC notebook that I can on a Mac notebook...

Yup, I sure can.

Now that that's out of the way, let me do some self quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
Psssht, plan. I see. So, since I am over here with my new shiney Macbook, does that mean I am outside the 40%? *prays*

On a more serious note...I think 40% may be a bit high but I don't think it's that far off the truth. Macbooks are great for school.



HOW DARE YOU! All I can say is...well played. (FYI, I am an English Major right now...and I will never work with fast food) *cough* Starbucks *cough* [/sarcasm]



I really like my Macbooks cooling system. Very intuitive, honstly. The air is sucked in through the keys and the exhaust vent is out the back...works good enough for me. It never really gets hot either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
Then install Vista on it if you need to. I have not touched or seen a notebook thats as well built as Apple's notebooks are. The little bit extra is worth the security...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
You misunderstood me. I don't mean security software wise, I mean security hardware wise. Mac has GREAT support. I love the way Macbooks look... Get over yourself. I don't care if you like Dell, Sony, Asus, or whatever more...thats awesome. The fact is some people are willing to pay an extra 200$ for something they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
There's your freaking proof. Now, tell me the Macbook is more expensive. I want to hear it.
-Elyaas.

Now sir, you have gone too far. It's all fun and games until someone calls me a hypocrite. Tell me, when did I say that Macbooks are cheaper then PCs, except for perhaps that last post and the posts that I made to defend it. (which was posted to make a point--a laptop of what I THINK [and many of the consumers of Apple products think] is equal quality is just as much as a Mac, if not more, in some cases)

Sure, you can go get a PC cheaper then Mac. I never freaking said you absolutely could not. I found some evidence of what I thought was comparable hardware--taking everything into account (Price, looks, hardware, durability...etc). But can you get a PC thats cheaper then a Mac and also has the quality that I as a consumer want? That answer is: no, you can't. If the Dell XPS was much cheaper then a Mac was, then I would be typing this from an XPS, and not a Macbook. But it plain isn't. Apple had what I wanted/needed. Dell had it in many respects as well. But I chose Apple because after weighing the pros and cons, I found that the Macbook would serve me better.

You also state that I am basically flip flopping, but on I believe my second (correction) third post on the thread (it is quoted above)...I clearly stated it's preference...from the start.

Now, to discuss other parts of your post. For ambiguity, you can force ambiguity on almost any sentence. I am not being ambiguous...I am stating my opinion...I don't like the way most notebooks look... How about we do this. I post a picture of every single notebook that is currently being sold, and I'll rate it on a scale from 1 to 10 so you can have your data... You also state that I said Mac is better. Mac is better for ME and for people like me. Thats it! I am not trying to lure you into the depths of the horrid crevice on this planet that is Apple, I am trying to disprove peoples statements here that Macbooks suck. (By the way...lets get this out now...this post isn't only aimed at you...its aimed at everyone who holds the aforementioned opinion)

'I can see right through that (you), and so do most people here.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
lolz.

Yeah, well the stats surely aren't coming from my University. I haven't talked to a single person who's given me any notion towards buying a Mac. I haven't seen any students with Macs in my classes, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
So the case alone is worth the extra cash (and purchasing another OS)? Come on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
I don't want to get into an argument. I just thought it was a little silly to purchase an already more expensive Mac, then purchase Vista on top of that, just *for the case*. This isn't a car we're talking about here. And *definitely* not a girl, lol. It's a laptop. There are plenty of decent looking laptops not made by Mac. Give me a break. And settle down a little. Sheesh.
Now, since you seem to say that you never see Macs at school in the first place, I assume you have gone to really take a look into a Macbook in person, right? You think purchasing a Mac is silly. Alright, you seem to have certainly gotten that point through. Does that mean that you think there isn't a single person that would be just as satisfied with a PC as they are with a Mac? (That's a rhetorical question since I think we all already know the answer from your previous posts.)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #217 of 246
Elyass, those last three quotes of mine you refer to are from a completely different argument with someone else (sublimejhn). Don't go off-topic.

My original argument with you was about Macs being more expensive than PC notebooks, given the same hardware. You even conceded this point eventually, then turned it into a bunch of ambiguous statements of why Macs are better, and labeling it as "opinion". Anyone can see how your story has changed. I can prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
Now sir, you have gone too far. It's all fun and games until someone calls me a hypocrite. Tell me, when did I say that Macbooks are cheaper then PCs, except for perhaps that last post and the posts that I made to defend it. (which was posted to make a point--a laptop of what I THINK [and many of the consumers of Apple products think] is equal quality is just as much as a Mac, if not more, in some cases)
Let's take this, your original argument against my original claim (Macs being more expensive for the same hardware):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
So, I am going for the portable 13' notebooks that have enough power to run a decent game if I am feeling up to it.

SPECS FOR SMALLER MORE PORATBLE NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Mac: Macbook --Price I got it at: $1200 ($1300 normally) (I got a student discount because we have a Mac store at school)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Specs for Dell: XPS M1330 price = $1,334 (almost 1337, NICE! I may actually fool around with the hardware later to see if I can manage it.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED
Standard Display with 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Size: 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Mini-Card
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0


SPECS FOR LARGER MORE GAMING/GRAPHICS FRIENDLY NOTEBOOKS

Specs for Macbook ProRICE: $2000
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
200GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

OR

Specs for Macbook Pro (BETTER- 17' Screen)RICE: $2800 (I personally think 17" screen for a notebook is way to freaking big)
2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
250GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB

(ALSO...if you add 2gb more from Apple directly, it costs you 400 dollars more, so, $3200 total)


Specs for Dell XPS M1730rice: $2400
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition - English
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
2GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Speed: 160GB3 SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA®GeForce®8700M GT graphics
--Getting lazy...a bunch of other normal crap like sound and color and battery n stuff is here

OR

Specs for better dell: Price $3524
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition - English (YAY)
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
4GB4 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
RAID Protection: 250GB3 (2x250GB) 5400RPM
NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB2 GDDR3 Memory
-Other crap too...as above

I would only trust Dell with a notebook. They have excellent notebooks and the XPS line is pretty good I hear. I wont even touch HP or Compaq or Sony (Besides...Sony is even more expensive...)


There's your freaking proof. Now, tell me the Macbook is more expensive. I want to hear it.
-Elyaas.
That certainly wasn't your "last post".

Then, you concede this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
I just went and customized one and it costs $1700. It also had a 256mb GPU not the 512...couldn't seem to chose a 512. That was with $384 instant savings. So that’s a $1,000 less for the notebook that looks like it was built into a cardboard box and isn't portable at all, like a laptop should be.

I personally would never buy a high powered laptop, and if I did, you'd better bet I would either get the XPS or the MBP. You get what you pay for. Go look at the build quality on the Inspiron line. I have three friends at my university with those Inspiron gaming laptops and each one of them are pieces of garbage. I also have a friend with one of the Alienware gaming laptops and it works GREAT...when its working.

So if you are willing to settle for bottom of the barrel, be my guest.
..... and change your argument to that. You started off making an argument of direct comparison of hardware (which was my point). You eventually admit the discrepancy, then continue naming off a bunch of opinion based, unprovable claims such as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
I said they were not portable at all from the start. And the Inspirons do look like garbage. And yes, that is just my opinion, and thats why I got a mac.

I also am not trying to fool anyone. A Mac is just as much as an equal quality notebook of any other brand. If I am going to spend a lot of money on a piece of hardware, you better bet I am going to get high quality stuff. Isn't that at least part of the reason why we all are on this site anyways. Building high quality PCs?

Thanks for the links omaryunus. He is also basically right about the MBPs...they aren't as well priced as the normal Macbook is. Guess what, I didn't buy one. To be honest, unless someone doesn't have a gaming machine, I would never recommend anyone getting one. A Macbook does everything. But like I said before. If I traveled a lot or I just started hating desktop PCs or something, I would rather buy a MBP then a Dell. Price or whatever. I prefer it.
And then your argument changes to "preference", as shown above. It wouldn't be so bad, except your argument for preference is based on ambiguous and inflammatory claims such as:

Inspirons are "bottom of the barrel" = Sure, whatever.
"Looks like it was built into a cardboard box" = Opinion.
Inspirons "Look like garbage" = Really??
Macs being "High Quality stuff" = Opinion.
Inspirons are "Not portable"= Flagrant mistatement.
"A Macbook does everything" = Physically impossible.

Really, those are the kind of statements you've resorted to? And you expect anyone to even value those kind of judgments?

Macs generally costing more than PC's with similar hardware = a fact you even can admit to.

This is so vastly overcomplicated. ALL I was stating about Mac vs. PC was that Macs generally cost more for the same hardware. The rest is just opinion. You argued that very simple point, lost, and morphed your argument to basically "oh, well there are other factors". Sure there are, never said there weren't. Those factors can be left up to the individual. Like I said before, whatever floats your boat. But don't try change your argument if you're losing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyaas View Post
Now, since you seem to say that you never see Macs at school in the first place, I assume you have gone to really take a look into a Macbook in person, right? You think purchasing a Mac is silly.
Yes, I have used Macs. They are nice. Never said they weren't. And I never said purchasing a Mac is silly. That is taken vastly out of context from the quote.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #218 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
1. Good point. Correction: even all Inspirons come with built in webcams.
That picture he posted said "no webcam option."

Now that you bring it up, does that mean "No further options to upgrade the webcam," or does it mean "there is no webcam?" If I'm incorrect, then I retract that from my statement.

Here's the permalink so that you can see: http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...ml#post3636462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
2. You can upgrade to this feature.
Which raises the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
3. You can upgrade to Vista Ultimate.
Which raises the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
4. Bluetooth is an option even on Dell Inspirons.
Does that one come with BT? If not, then you can upgrade to include it, right? Which raises the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
5. I admit that most PC notebooks come with at least some "crapware" pre-installed. You can remove this, however.
You have to work to disable it. I suppose it can be done.

But even the reinstall disk or the recovery partition is going to include the crap/adware.

Doesn't matter, though, does it? The crapware is helping reduce the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
I believe 2, 3, and 4 could probably be upgraded and still cost less than a comparable Mac, however. I'll have to check this out.
You'll find that the price gap isn't as big as people are making it out to be (someone even went out to say Macs are three times more expensive compared to a comparable PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
PS: And who's to say OSX is "better" than even Vista Business?
Is it not an apples to oranges comparison if you're going to compare the crippled versions of windows to the full version of OSX?

OSX comes with: The media center stuff (comparable to home premium), the remote desktop stuff (comparable to home business), and the encryption stuff (comparable to home ultimate). If you're going to compare using one of the crippled windows "versions," then you're unfairly cutting costs for the comparison.

OSX ultimate compared to vista home business doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post
The adware and other useless stuff can be removed, it´s not something you HAVE to live with. On the other hand, I hate taking the time to do that on my windows machines.
Exactly. On a Mac, you pay for the luxury of not having to do that kind of stuff. That's what you're paying for; that's why it costs more. It doesn't cost more "just because;" it isn't like that for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post
If you get a machine loaded with a recovery partition and/or a recovery disk that nifty disk also has all of that adware/junk built in to it as well meaning that each time you reinstall you get all that crap you probably spent an hour getting rid of comes back.
Precisely. PC prices are subsidized by adware. That's a fact, and it would be absurd to ignore it. It's there to drive down the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post
The web cam and wireless N is a pretty weak argument IMO though... If you can find a wireless N hot spot or even a home with N that isn´t secured, you´d be the first I know of lol.
It doesn't matter. If you're not going to compare a PC that has comparable specs, then you can't say "A comparable PC is 3x cheaper than a Mac." Apples to apples, or else it's not credible. I guess lots of people are very willing to lie, to give the truth the cold shoulder, because they "hate" Apple so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post
It´s my understanding that software is becoming less of an issue on macs because of virtualization, is this correct?
I've found EVERYTHING I've needed for my Mac, with the exception of games. I have yet to pay a dime for any of the software on my computer (and yes, it is all legal). After using a Mac computer for 9 months now, I must say that all this "incompatibility" is very exaggerated.

And like you said, there is virtualization and wine. I have both, but I haven't needed to call upon either for anything essential (school work, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Santi View Post
Macs suck bawls anyway. There so expencive and with no games who would ever want to buy one.

Except for gay people, everyone who owns a mac are gays or people with no life. Windows is so much better.
Hello there, reverend jeremiah wright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1v View Post
Vista Home premium is almost the full version of Windows Vista. No need for "HOW DARE YOU". Are you getting offended from people who are pissing on your over priced product?
It's for effect, bro. I went to school and learned how to use language

But doesn't it strike you as absurd that people would compare the full version of OSX to the crippled versions of windows in order to give windows advantage? Why do we need to cut corners and give windows the advantage? Isn't it better already?

Home premium is "almost," lol. Come on, mang, we want a fair comparison, no? Home premium doesn't have remote desktop. Home premium doesn't have encryption and backup options. OSX has all of that. OSX is OSX ultimate, and the only windows version we're going to use to compare is ultimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1v View Post
As always Bluetooth is an option with every inspiron
Ok, so let's add it into the cost to get a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1v View Post
As always, its a reformat away to remove any crapware that comes with the Dell.
Is that so? Do you think dell is that stupid that they'll forget to include the adware on the recovery partition/disk?

And if you're talking about putting your own windows on, let's add that $190/400 for a clean OEM/retail install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1v View Post
I see that you fail at gathering basic information.
I see that you fail at understanding the scientific method. You can't even setup a control for your experiment.
post #219 of 246
Macs are an ok deal for the money compared to PCs (depending on the configuration) unless you want to spend less than $1200 (iMac) or $1100 (Macbook). Am I right?
Creeping Death
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 BE 3.7GHz Asus M3A78-T Visiontek HD4870 512MB 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD VelociRaptor 300GB Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2x Dell 2408WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave USB Antec Neopower 500W Modded Rocketfish Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
Creeping Death
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 BE 3.7GHz Asus M3A78-T Visiontek HD4870 512MB 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD VelociRaptor 300GB Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2x Dell 2408WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave USB Antec Neopower 500W Modded Rocketfish Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #220 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruboy View Post
Macs are an ok deal for the money compared to PCs (depending on the configuration) unless you want to spend less than $1200 (iMac) or $1100 (Macbook). Am I right?
I think that's fair to say. As Astroz put it, the problem is that they don't offer any lower-end products, so they don't have anything for people in the $400-$1000 market. That could be why people say they're "SO expensive."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] 40% of College Students Plan to Buy Macs, Survey Says