Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [THG] Blu-Ray Prices Continue to Climb
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[THG] Blu-Ray Prices Continue to Climb - Page 9

post #81 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense since the whole point of this thread is that the prices are rising for whatever reason. Whether or not supply and demand is the culprit has no bearing on the fact that the prices are rising!
It is my belief that you are willing to narrowly believe this information because of a profound bias against blu-ray as evidenced by your initial post. In my region I have not witnessed an increase in cost of blu-ray players of the same model. I will however, indicate that if you were to average out cost of NEW models and existing models, that some of the newer models do have prices above those of pre-existing models. New features or just new dressing, I don't know. Given the result of blu-ray "winning" this war, it wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers were producing higher end devices since there is much lower risk to their success.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIJG View Post
It is my belief that you are willing to narrowly believe this information because of a profound bias against blu-ray as evidenced by your initial post. In my region I have not witnessed an increase in cost of blu-ray players of the same model. I will however, indicate that if you were to average out cost of NEW models and existing models, that some of the newer models do have prices above those of pre-existing models. New features or just new dressing, I don't know. Given the result of blu-ray "winning" this war, it wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers were producing higher end devices since there is much lower risk to their success.
Yeah, I disagree with you so you assume I am bias. Nice basis for an argument! And did you even read the article? They had data on each player separately. If you want to make generalized assumptions, then how about the fact that you are pulling things from your nether regions to try to discount this data, but failing miserably so you resort to claiming I am bias. You don't know whether or not I even own one format or the other, which consoles I own, or anything of the sort so your ability to make such judgements credibly is nil.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 125
I have provided information regarding inflationary pressure and exchange rate pricing pressure, both of which you dismissed as being...unrelated. Your (report's) correlation between the increasing price and the implication that the Blu-Ray Consortium are milking people is a false correlation since you and the report do not take into account any of the other prominent economic market indicators.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Just because a company has a well-known name does not mean it is a bigger company that can get better deals. And if companies like newegg, that are known for typically having cheap prices, have higher prices, don't you think that says that the prices are actually increasing.
Brand name is everything in business, companies want you to think of them when you need to buy something so they can stay in business. The more well known that company is, the larger they are, it goes hand in hand. That is how it works. If company A has a reputable name known for great customer service and low prices and company B is only known by a handfull of people, you can bet that company A is going to be larger than company B. As far as price comparison goes, if a larger company is charging more then a smaller company, then I would say the price of the product didn't go up, I would say that one company is charging more then the other to make more off the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Furthermore, you are stuck on the fixatinon of focusing on data outliers, which is obviously not an acceptable way of making a conclusion. The average cost is used because it encompasses everything, not just outliers.
The data I am using is pulled directly from the source of your "news" article and is completely valid. Furthermore, averages are like statistics, you can sway them which ever direction you like to depending on the information you use. The fact is there are smaller companies listed on pricegrabber.com selling the same exact product for less then some of the larger companies. Also, if you took Crutchfield out of the average, which everyone knows is a huge ripoff, then your "price averages" drastically come down since the highest cost in your average will fall.
post #85 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioniccrackmonk View Post
Brand name is everything in business, companies want you to think of them when you need to buy something so they can stay in business. The more well known that company is, the larger they are, it goes hand in hand. That is how it works. If company A has a reputable name known for great customer service and low prices and company B is only known by a handfull of people, you can bet that company A is going to be larger than company B. As far as price comparison goes, if a larger company is charging more then a smaller company, then I would say the price of the product didn't go up, I would say that one company is charging more then the other to make more off the customer.



The data I am using is pulled directly from the source of your "news" article and is completely valid. Furthermore, averages are like statistics, you can sway them which ever direction you like to depending on the information you use. The fact is there are smaller companies listed on pricegrabber.com selling the same exact product for less then some of the larger companies. Also, if you took Crutchfield out of the average, which everyone knows is a huge ripoff, then your "price averages" drastically come down since the highest cost in your average will fall.
Of course you can sway statistics - especially when you only consider the outliers that support your case rather than the average which is more indicative, as I have already explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIJG View Post
I have provided information regarding inflationary pressure and exchange rate pricing pressure, both of which you dismissed as being...unrelated. Your (report's) correlation between the increasing price and the implication that the Blu-Ray Consortium are milking people is a false correlation since you and the report do not take into account any of the other prominent economic market indicators.
Still having trouble reading, apparently? I didn't dismiss it as unrelated, I clearly showed that it wouldn't make a difference. If you want to live in the fantasy that inflation is the sole reason for the price increase then go ahead, but you are just nitpicking for something that has negligible effect on a difference as large as we are talking here.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioniccrackmonk View Post
Furthermore, averages are like statistics, you can sway them which ever direction you like to depending on the information you use.

I can easily agree with that one.

lets say bill gates walks in to a trashy poor mans bar.

which statistic is right? on average everyone in that bar is a millionare or on average everyone is broke.
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
I can easily agree with that one.

lets say bill gates walks in to a trashy poor mans bar.

which statistic is right? on average everyone in that bar is a millionare or on average everyone is broke.
That concept may apply, but you are talking about extremes dozens of orders of magnitude greater which is clearly not the case here.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
I can easily agree with that one.

lets say bill gates walks in to a trashy poor mans bar.

which statistic is right? on average everyone in that bar is a millionare or on average everyone is broke.
Depends on the quantity you measure. Average pay would indicate that everyone was a millionaire. What would be truly important hear would be weighted average.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7speed View Post
I can easily agree with that one.

lets say bill gates walks in to a trashy poor mans bar.

which statistic is right? on average everyone in that bar is a millionare or on average everyone is broke.
Well, if you take the wealth of everyone in the bar together and divide by the number of people there, everyone is a millionaire which isn't true. That is the case I am making to Stargate but even with all the other info presented, he still believes he is correct because the information he has is what he wants to be right, regardless of how skewed the data is.
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
*Whining*
Waa waa, blu-ray will cost me a few dollars more.

Welcome to Planet Earth. Nothing is fair.
Jaguar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6850 - 3.6Ghz Gigabyte P45-UD3R 8800GT 512MB OC 4GB OCZ Platinum 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD AAKS 640GB + 500GB Storage Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Professional x64 22" Viewsonic VX2255 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Antec EarthWatts 500W Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Logitech Optical Cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
Jaguar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6850 - 3.6Ghz Gigabyte P45-UD3R 8800GT 512MB OC 4GB OCZ Platinum 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD AAKS 640GB + 500GB Storage Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Professional x64 22" Viewsonic VX2255 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Antec EarthWatts 500W Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Logitech Optical Cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [THG] Blu-Ray Prices Continue to Climb