Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] NVIDIA GPU End of Life Rumors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[hardocp] NVIDIA GPU End of Life Rumors - Page 3

post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRaDoX View Post
lol but you don't know nvidia hates intel with passion.
i dont get what that has to do with anything just because they hate them doesnt mean they cant use their launches to their advantage
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k 5000mhz(so far) ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME msi 6970 and 2 6950's Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Force GT(os) M4 64gb(games) f3 1tb(other) Samsung Windows 7 64bit Samsung BX2450 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black widow XFX ProSeries 1050W PSU 80+Gold  Corsair 700D Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
nope! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman View Post
i dont get what that has to do with anything just because they hate them doesnt mean they cant use their launches to their advantage
what real reason would they have for launching together though man... think, a new CPU and GPU at the same time... the majority of people are on a budget and they are going to say to themselves "alright.... I have X dollars, should I get a nehalem or a GT200"... which is bad for both company's business, because half will buy the Nehalem and half will buy the GT200
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
Desert Fox
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD BE-2350@3150mhz 1.488v ASUS M2R32-MVP GeCube Radeon 3870 Dual Heatpipe cooler G.Skill 2gb @900mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Western Digital 250gb LG DVD-RAM drive Windows XP x64 SP2 ThermalTake 550watt 
Case
Antec P180b 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Basically they are releasing the same GPU under a new name for the 3rd time?

This is getting a bit ridiculous these chips should have just been Geforce 9 to begin with.
Yeah the naming department at Nvidia needs to finish up their rehab before they come back to work.

Now remember folks. The G80 was a SIGNIFICANT development project for Nvidia and that's why the jump from 7xxx to 88xx was insane at the time. Think about it, that year and a half old G80 will still give a DUAL GPU 3870x2 a decent run for it's money. Everyone says "boooo ATi!!!" for only being to beat it after all this time but does anyone look at if from the perspective that Nvidia just had a totally awesome GPU that was ahead of its time? So what...they developed the G80, then the G92, and now the Gxx. All are awesome cards for the money and the only people that I notice are complaining are the ones with a G80GTX or similar that want that all-powerful uber-card to launch.

Don't feel cheated! I remember a day and a time before the 7-8 jump where newer cards weren't leaps and bounds better than their predecessors.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Rommel View Post
what real reason would they have for launching together though man... think, a new CPU and GPU at the same time... the majority of people are on a budget and they are going to say to themselves "alright.... I have X dollars, should I get a nehalem or a GT200"... which is bad for both company's business, because half will buy the Nehalem and half will buy the GT200
There was a time when I thought $550 for a video card was clinically insane. I couldn't believe anyone would ever pay that much just for one component and then went on to buy two myself. Create the desire and envy and people might divert more money to the cause then they normally would
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
Yeah the naming department at Nvidia needs to finish up their rehab before they come back to work.

Now remember folks. The G80 was a SIGNIFICANT development project for Nvidia and that's why the jump from 7xxx to 88xx was insane at the time. Think about it, that year and a half old G80 will still give a DUAL GPU 3870x2 a decent run for it's money. Everyone says "boooo ATi!!!" for only being to beat it after all this time but does anyone look at if from the perspective that Nvidia just had a totally awesome GPU that was ahead of its time? So what...they developed the G80, then the G92, and now the Gxx. All are awesome cards for the money and the only people that I notice are complaining are the ones with a G80GTX or similar that want that all-powerful uber-card to launch.

Don't feel cheated! I remember a day and a time before the 7-8 jump where newer cards weren't leaps and bounds better than their predecessors.
Thats how things go, the consumer is a judgmental person who jumps to allot of conclusions.

Also, please don't double post.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 48
Quote:
The ever-popular GeForce 8800 GT will be renamed the 9800 GT and be given some of the additional, but not yet functional features of Hybrid SLI.
Can't believe nobody caught that. Thats nVidia in a nutshell this past year.

I'm seriously worried about nVidia now, they've done **** all this last year but coast on the success of the G80, while ATI has been working hard and innovating. If it wasn't for AMD dragging them down with them, ATI would probably be looking pretty successful.

Since G80 nVidia has:
-released a die shrink of G80
-renamed the die shrink instead of creating a new core for 9 series
-stuck two underclocked G92s in a lame hack to compete with ATI's creation

and by all accounts GT200 is going to be a monster, but most likely all they did was make it bigger, basically a 65nm die thats as big as the 90nm ones. Sure its going to be fast as hell, but we're probably looking at 600W+ for a single 9900GT, which will probably cost $350+, and GT200 will only apply to the enthusiast market, so the current 9400s and 9600s will still be G92.

If ATI continues its rolling success we may well see RV770 cards that are close, if not better than the GT200 while consuming way less power and costing a couple hundred less. And the new architecture will mean that the lower brackets will also outperform nVidia's offerings.

I think the end of life of the 9800s might just spill over to nVidia in general...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670k ASUS Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB Kingston Hyper-X 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 OCZ Vertex 3 WD6401AALS WD5000AAKS 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Noctua NH-D14 elementary OS Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM LG W2442PA-BF 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX750W Corsair Graphite 600T Logitech G700 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 48
Well I just posted a source "stating" that new 9900 prolly will be the GT200 chip.
I don't think the die size will increase. Some sources has said it will be 65nm or they may try to make it an 45nm. Which this is all rumors for now. Nobody will know anything untill Nvidia itself post something or closer to supposely "release" date.
Project Essence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified HIS 5870/ 2nd HIS Ref. 5870 coming soon 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Black 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX1000 Silverstone FT02 Roccat Kone 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Essence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 EVGA X58 Classified HIS 5870/ 2nd HIS Ref. 5870 coming soon 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Black 1TB Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX1000 Silverstone FT02 Roccat Kone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post
The 9800GX2 was initially thought as a GIMMICK as you say. But results are showing this not to be the case and many ppl including myself are astonished by how this card performs. The 9 series SLI scaling is great....

The 7950GX2 was a gimmick because what it offered to the consumer was Quad SLI at a time when neither DirectX9 or XP can use more than 3GPU's. It was released far too soon.

Everyone is wanting faster and faster cards. But to what end? There is no denying this, only one game on the market requires stupidly powerful GPU's. The rest of the titles out now and in the forseable future will not require more than an 8800GTX.
hmmm...Are you like part of the royal family? Are you selling drugs on the street or what ? Or are you just incredibly rich. Show a Picture or it doesn't exist
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
Can't believe nobody caught that. Thats nVidia in a nutshell this past year.

I'm seriously worried about nVidia now, they've done **** all this last year but coast on the success of the G80, while ATI has been working hard and innovating. If it wasn't for AMD dragging them down with them, ATI would probably be looking pretty successful.

Since G80 nVidia has:
-released a die shrink of G80
-renamed the die shrink instead of creating a new core for 9 series
-stuck two underclocked G92s in a lame hack to compete with ATI's creation

and by all accounts GT200 is going to be a monster, but most likely all they did was make it bigger, basically a 65nm die thats as big as the 90nm ones. Sure its going to be fast as hell, but we're probably looking at 600W+ for a single 9900GT, which will probably cost $350+, and GT200 will only apply to the enthusiast market, so the current 9400s and 9600s will still be G92.

If ATI continues its rolling success we may well see RV770 cards that are close, if not better than the GT200 while consuming way less power and costing a couple hundred less. And the new architecture will mean that the lower brackets will also outperform nVidia's offerings.

I think the end of life of the 9800s might just spill over to nVidia in general...
I caught it, and was actually going to say something, but you've basically said everything I would have.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakar View Post
hmmm...Are you like part of the royal family? Are you selling drugs on the street or what ? Or are you just incredibly rich. Show a Picture or it doesn't exist
He lives in London. Its another world.

Not a particularly good world either
Jaguar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6850 - 3.6Ghz Gigabyte P45-UD3R 8800GT 512MB OC 4GB OCZ Platinum 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD AAKS 640GB + 500GB Storage Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Professional x64 22" Viewsonic VX2255 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Antec EarthWatts 500W Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Logitech Optical Cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
Jaguar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6850 - 3.6Ghz Gigabyte P45-UD3R 8800GT 512MB OC 4GB OCZ Platinum 6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD AAKS 640GB + 500GB Storage Pioneer DVD-RW SATA Windows 7 Professional x64 22" Viewsonic VX2255 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Antec EarthWatts 500W Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Logitech Optical Cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [hardocp] NVIDIA GPU End of Life Rumors