Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] Daniel_K got $146 in donations!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Wired] Daniel_K got $146 in donations!!! - Page 5

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPPeR_666 View Post
PS: I bet he's just trying to get a new rig to play Crysis or something. *****
With $146? You weren't required to donate any money to him downloading his modified drivers. He did it to help others out that also were looking for a solution to improve their experience on a product they were not satisfied with. The money he received was used to buy more of Creative's hardware so he could improve the drivers on those products as well. In essence, Creative's customers were indirectly paying money to Creative for better drivers, and Creative decided to "hate" on Daniel for indirectly receiving more money and you think that is immoral?

I am not going to bring up how Creative supposedly crippled their drivers so they wouldn't be in trouble for having monopoly and just go by the facts presented.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
@ ViPPeR_666: lazy morons don't mod drivers, fact.

and watch your language.
Someone who hasn't any plans on getting a better job w/e to pay out his stuff and insted of getting one is asking for donations, that's a lazy person.

I am watching my language. Btw, is he around?
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Oh get over yourself man, obviously it's not even close to the same.
I'm tired of people trying to compare small misdemeanors to felonious acts.

In the end, 1$ won't cripple anyone, while 1mil is obviously a **** ton of money.
It just takes common sense.
[offtopic] I love the expression **** ton; I need to work it into my lexicon better.

Many of you are arguing based on ideals of right and wrong, so to dumb it down in a way that everyone is familiar with, it was wrong for creative to damage their own drivers (dumb really), it was wrong for Daniel_K to request donations for altering the IP of Creative (illegal), it was not wrong for creative to ask Daniel to stop. That's the whole argument people; if you cannot accept it then you're wrong.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5645 Asus Rampage II Gene eVGA GTX460 SSC 3x4GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Crucial C300 64GB Seagate Momentus XT 750 Western Digital GP 2TB EARS Windows 7 Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE278Q DSI SMK-88 Seasonic X-660 Lian Li U6B 2011 SE 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 KAI.g3 HIEN - HARD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5645 Asus Rampage II Gene eVGA GTX460 SSC 3x4GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Crucial C300 64GB Seagate Momentus XT 750 Western Digital GP 2TB EARS Windows 7 Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE278Q DSI SMK-88 Seasonic X-660 Lian Li U6B 2011 SE 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 KAI.g3 HIEN - HARD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPPeR_666 View Post
Someone who hasn't any plans on getting a better job w/e to pay out his stuff and insted of getting one is asking for donations, that's a lazy person.

I am watching my language. Btw, is he around?
Why would he spend dozens of hours recoding drivers for less than $150. Let's just assume the minimum wage is about $2 an hour there. he would have to work 75 hours to make the same amount of money. I am sure programmers earn a little more than minimum wage and I am sure he spent more than 75 hours total doing research and actually recoding the drivers.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
Many of you are arguing based on ideals of right and wrong, so to dumb it down in a way that everyone is familiar with, it was wrong for creative to damage their own drivers (dumb really), it was wrong for Daniel_K to request donations for altering the IP of Creative (illegal), it was not wrong for creative to ask Daniel to stop. That's the whole argument people; if you cannot accept it then you're wrong.
Creative disabled the Vista's soundcard features on purpose as it was a business decision from their side. Daniel_K wasn't doing anything wrong, maybe not totally right though. If I were him, I'd create an anonymous ID and transfer my paypal account to switzerland
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 76
Could someone explain to me what exactly was so great about the drivers he released? I've searched, yet can not get a clearly definitive answer to this question, and usually only find responses which fall along the lines of: "I don't know what he did, but DOWN WITH THE MAN!"

Thx
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
Could someone explain to me what exactly was so great about the drivers he released? I've searched, yet can not get a clearly definitive answer to this question, and usually only find responses which fall along the lines of: "I don't know what he did, but DOWN WITH THE MAN!"

Thx
He enabled all Creative soundcard features under Vista which are already only available officially under XP.
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsbrian View Post
When I see such a purist views I just ignore them because it's so hypocritical.

Guess you drive the speedlimit everywhere you go ? Actually ever drove 25 MPH over the set speedlimit ? If you have then you've acutally broken about 3 laws and this man hasn't broken one.

Nothing but a closed perception.
That is not the point, just because someone rapes a child. Does that mean because i murdered someone and it isn't as bad of a crime that it should be ignored? Classifying crimes is one of todays many problems, people become ignorant when you classify crimes and think a lower end crime must be ok to do just because you don't get a serious sentence. Well it isn't. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
I actually stay within the speed limit, so sue me. The guy messed with proprietary IP and asked for money while doing it. It's Creative's call.




Don't apologize for what you believe. What else is there than to defend your ground?
Nice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisjr13 View Post
With $146? You weren't required to donate any money to him downloading his modified drivers. He did it to help others out that also were looking for a solution to improve their experience on a product they were not satisfied with. The money he received was used to buy more of Creative's hardware so he could improve the drivers on those products as well. In essence, Creative's customers were indirectly paying money to Creative for better drivers, and Creative decided to "hate" on Daniel for indirectly receiving more money and you think that is immoral?

I am not going to bring up how Creative supposedly crippled their drivers so they wouldn't be in trouble for having monopoly and just go by the facts presented.
Wow, so you are basically saying two negatives make a positive? Creative was bad, and Daniel did a bad thing. But it's ok because i get what i want.

No, why should it be treat like that? Daniel got what he deserved because he became too adventurous, he pushed the boundaries and got slapped back into a confined space. And rightly so.

Creative also did a bad deed, and they will also suffer for it because they have lost most of their hardcore client base. But just because they did a bad deed, doesn't mean his bad deed is 'ok'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
He enabled all Creative soundcard features under Vista which are already only available officially under XP.
Yup and didn't his alchemy drivers enable most X-Fi features on the lower end cards? I beleive this is what Creative didn't like.
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonindeBeatrice View Post
[offtopic] I love the expression **** ton; I need to work it into my lexicon better.

Many of you are arguing based on ideals of right and wrong, so to dumb it down in a way that everyone is familiar with, it was wrong for creative to damage their own drivers (dumb really), it was right for Daniel_K to request donations for altering the IP of Creative (illegal), it was wrong for creative to ask Daniel to stop. That's the whole argument people; if you cannot accept it then you're wrong.
Fixed for correctness.
The Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASRock Z170 Gaming K6+ ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix G.Skill Tridentz DDR4 3200MHZ 2x8GB 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Corsair GTX H110i Windows 10 Pro 64bit 28" Samsung 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB EVGA 1000W G2 Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k ASRock Z170 Gaming K6+ ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix G.Skill Tridentz DDR4 3200MHZ 2x8GB 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Corsair GTX H110i Windows 10 Pro 64bit 28" Samsung 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB EVGA 1000W G2 Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass edition G700s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
OMG he ripped off Creative so badly....Not.
I agree one of the employee's got a decrease in his pay and now cant feed his family because of that 146$.....NOT
His
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1600 Asus Strix B350-F MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC 2 x 8gb Gskill Ripjaw V 3200MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Samsung EVO 850 Windows 10  X-Star 27" 1440p @ 96hz Silverstone Strider 1000w  
Case
Corsair 270R 
  hide details  
Reply
His
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1600 Asus Strix B350-F MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC 2 x 8gb Gskill Ripjaw V 3200MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
1TB Samsung EVO 850 Windows 10  X-Star 27" 1440p @ 96hz Silverstone Strider 1000w  
Case
Corsair 270R 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] Daniel_K got $146 in donations!!!