Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Creative]: Daniel_K's Good bye message
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Creative]: Daniel_K's Good bye message - Page 3

post #21 of 44
What company intentionally degrades the performance of the products? Seriously. The Creative driver purposely injected noise into the output of older cards.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesRule View Post
He didn't reverse engineer anything. All he did was apply a few patches to the driver so that it fooled it into thinking it was XP instead of Vista.
Taking apart the driver, repatching it, then redistributing it is reverse engineering it. If he didn't make the driver from scratch, he reverse engineered it.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Right, that was wrong. But an even bigger morality issue (possibly a legal one, too) is the fact that creative intentionally disabled features in order to get more sales by forcing people to purchase the new product.
That is seriously messed up.....it makes me glad that I bought my Auzentech instead of the X-Fi Elite.......however I guess it's still supporting Creative because they manufactured the APU.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
What company intentionally degrades the performance of the products? Seriously. The Creative driver purposely injected noise into the output of older cards.


Doesn't Intel and AMD do that with their CPU's? As in disabling cache or locking a lower multi or selling at a lower rated FSB? Isn't it the same with GFX cards too? Producing a superior product and intentionally crippling it to fit into a different market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Right, that was wrong. But an even bigger morality issue (possibly a legal one, too) is the fact that creative intentionally disabled features in order to get more sales by forcing people to purchase the new product.

Now, if they did that and sold/advertised the products as such, thats fine. it is in their right to sell them however they want. If they were indeed advertising them as being fully functional and then crippling them, thats fraud. I suppose it is all in how it was handled.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 44
I am proud of Daniel for acting wisely in this situation!
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Doesn't Intel and AMD do that with their CPU's? As in disabling cache or locking a lower multi or selling at a lower rated FSB? Isn't it the same with GFX cards too? Producing a superior product and intentionally crippling it to fit into a different market?
No, because they tell us the specs and sell the "crippled" ones at a lower price.

Say the "standard" for a chip is 3.0GHz @ 200FSB. There are 2.4 and 2.6 and 2.8 variants out there. Intel/AMD (whatever chip company) isn't advertising the chips as 3.0GHz chips. They clearly specify that these other models are going to be slower, and they are selling them at a lower price because of that.

Creative is saying, "look, look, we got these features! Come buy our card!" directly on the box. You pop in the card, download the driver, and lo and behold: the features are not there.

It's very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Now, if they did that and sold/advertised the products as such, thats fine. it is in their right to sell them however they want. If they were indeed advertising them as being fully functional and then crippling them, thats fraud. I suppose it is all in how it was handled.
They said it works with vista. Not only do the cards NOT work with vista - the cards were intentionally made to not work with vista.

This was no accident, make no mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 View Post
I am proud of Daniel for acting wisely in this situation!
lol you can see that all the straight letters were made from that E. The F wasn't cut off correctly at the bottom
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
lol you can see that all the straight letters were made from that E. The F wasn't cut off correctly at the bottom
Best I could do quickly in paint.
post #28 of 44
Actually he mentions the binaries. It seems he had to go back to source in order to get the deactivated features to work on these cards. The reason he is stopping from what I can gather is the fact that after helping the people that payed to get Creative to where they are now, that can no longer use the Creative cards in a new operating system that is becoming standard, they have given him a lot of heat and presumably possible legal action for altering the software code and distributing it without permission. Creative knowingly deactivated features that can apparently easily run in Vista in order to force the Xfi cards onto consumers that still have perfectly good cards.

By producing drivers that let these older cards work in Vista, Creative was 'loosing sales' because everyone who uses those drivers has no need to purchase and Xfi or better yet, Creatives main concern at the moment, Xfi 2.

Creative as a company 'fails' because they do not support their loyal customers who have a product that should work, if Creative would release the drivers for it.

In all fairness, as a corporation, can anyone blame Creative for trying to drive up sales? Many companies do things most would not agree with in order to turn a profit.

I will continue to use my Audigy in Windows XP for now. I got it for free so no reason to destroy a working product, but I for one will not purchase a Creative product but then again, I never have.
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
Hex
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 1100T ASUS M4A89TD GTX 470 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB + WD 1TB LG DVD RW Windows 7 Pro Viewsonic 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft X6 Cooler Master 750W Antec 300 CM Storm Sentinel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
No, because they tell us the specs and sell the "crippled" ones at a lower price.

Say the "standard" for a chip is 3.0GHz @ 200FSB. There are 2.4 and 2.6 and 2.8 variants out there. Intel/AMD (whatever chip company) isn't advertising the chips as 3.0GHz chips. They clearly specify that these other models are going to be slower, and they are selling them at a lower price because of that.

Creative is saying, "look, look, we got these features! Come buy our card!" directly on the box. You pop in the card, download the driver, and lo and behold: the features are not there.

It's very different.



They said it works with vista. Not only do the cards NOT work with vista - the cards were intentionally made to not work with vista.

This was no accident, make no mistake.



lol you can see that all the straight letters were made from that E. The F wasn't cut off correctly at the bottom


Well, that is the hook then. If they were doing that while still marketing them and advertising them as being ready for Vista, thats wrong. It is almost bad enough to justify a class action suit (even though they rarely benefit anyone besides lawyers and 1/2 the evidence has been destroyed in the name of forum lolz) If it was more of a mainstream product (as in a car or a cell phone etc.), they would be in much worse trouble than they are. they should be very happy nothing more than a bunch of POed enthusiasts discussing it.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Well, that is the hook then. If they were doing that while still marketing them and advertising them as being ready for Vista, thats wrong. It is almost bad enough to justify a class action suit (even though they rarely benefit anyone besides lawyers and 1/2 the evidence has been destroyed in the name of forum lolz) If it was more of a mainstream product (as in a car or a cell phone etc.), they would be in much worse trouble than they are. they should be very happy nothing more than a bunch of POed enthusiasts discussing it.
There are billions of archives of the forum.... lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Creative]: Daniel_K's Good bye message