Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Custom PC] Creative backtracks over Daniel_K’s modded drivers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Custom PC] Creative backtracks over Daniel_K’s modded drivers - Page 6

post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Simple: he was accepting donations as a sneaky way to make a profit. Imagine what would have happened to him if he had said "If you want the driver, you have to give me money." So, he clearly decided that "accepting donations" was a great way to stay undetected.

Morally? This was wrong. He should have told everyone that he refuses to accept any money. That would have been highly commendable, and everyone knows it, but are too proud to admit it!
Donations are donations. It's America - everyone has a right to make a donation to whoever / whatever the hell they want. If someone is dumb enough to give him money because he "schemed them into it" (which I find extremely unlikely), it doesn't make this wrong legally nor morally. It just states the easily manipulated person is a [insert your degrading expletive here].

You are basing your accusations off of absolutely nothing. You are assuming he "plotted this scheme" to by-pass the law in order to gain a profit. You're also assuming that everyone else thinks like you - which is not true. Why would I be too proud to admit that accepting no donations would be highly commendable? Sure it would be, but if the schmuck can't afford another sound card to create more drivers, that ends the "profit" for the entire community. I don't know this guy, nor do I even care about him or his future. I just saw your posts and felt I had to express how ludicrous and oddly emotional your arguments are.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaarBear View Post
Donations are donations. It's America - everyone has a right to make a donation to whoever / whatever the hell they want. If someone is dumb enough to give him money because he "schemed them into it" (which I find extremely unlikely), it doesn't make this wrong legally nor morally. It just states the easily manipulated person is a [insert your degrading expletive here].

You are basing your accusations off of absolutely nothing. You are assuming he "plotted this scheme" to by-pass the law in order to gain a profit. You're also assuming that everyone else thinks like you - which is not true. Why would I be too proud to admit that accepting no donations would be highly commendable? Sure it would be, but if the schmuck can't afford another sound card to create more drivers, that ends the "profit" for the entire community. I don't know this guy, nor do I even care about him or his future. I just saw your posts and felt I had to express how ludicrous and oddly emotional your arguments are.
Oh yeah, everyone should opt that attitude, care for no one, that's why there's OCN and people helping each others. Because as far as I know, you don't know anyone of us here. And no one said that he plotted anything, the fact is that he made money out of what he was doing and that's what people are judging, $150 or $15 000 is the same in the eyes of Creative, why?
-They lose reputation and money because Daniel_K proved that he could do a better job than Creative itself
-They lose credibility because Daniel_K somehow unlocked some features that Creative claimed to be only compatible with their expensive cards

That's my 2cents and I'm not trying to flame you or start a flame war, it's just that I agree on one point you made, some people care way too much for people they don't know, but I just don't agree with not caring for anyone that you don't know. Even if you don't care about someone's future, it's not something that you say especially in a community where people help each other.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6850K 4.3GHz (100x43) 1.355v Evga X99 Classified BIOS 2.03 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti G.SKILL 4x4GB 3200MHz 16-16-16-36 1T 1.35v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SM961 1TB NVMe + 1TB Samsung 840 Evo External Asus drive 2x MCP655 in independent loops Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K Logitech G19 Evga 1200 P2 Enthoo Pro M 
MouseAudio
Logitech G900 Asus Essence XT II PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6850K 4.3GHz (100x43) 1.355v Evga X99 Classified BIOS 2.03 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti G.SKILL 4x4GB 3200MHz 16-16-16-36 1T 1.35v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SM961 1TB NVMe + 1TB Samsung 840 Evo External Asus drive 2x MCP655 in independent loops Windows 7 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K Logitech G19 Evga 1200 P2 Enthoo Pro M 
MouseAudio
Logitech G900 Asus Essence XT II PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 69
Why is everyone arguing about the fact that he's accepting donations? That's not the real reason that Creative spoke up; he was reverse engineering their software people. You can't just take a company's software, change it up (possibly releasing copyrighted decoding, etc. without licenses from Dolby), then distribute it without getting some sort of warning from the people that created the original code.
It would be different if he coded some Linux drivers from his own source code, or made his very own Windows drivers from his own source code......but he didn't.
I'm sorry, but this is just a fact. I think Creative is shady for deactivating DTS for the Audigy in Vista and the other things they crippled, but the bottom line is that Daniel_K could have possibly been taken to court......
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
That still doesn't change the fact that he was accepting donations for the drivers. Sigh. All I can say is that they are showing a serious weakness with this recent decision. But I suppose they made sure that Daniel_K doesn't get any money for his drivers (and of course, neither does Creative). I mean, they probably made this decision because they have made sure that he won't get any money for the drivers. Hmm, I'm being redundant now. Is there a CRC in the house?
The fact is they recognized a mistake. Daniel_K had to profit somehow for the creation for compatibility for those products and drivers. At least Creative is saving face from the hole they dug themselves into by retracting their widely uncouth behavior. We had to fight and give him a voice. Apparently they listened. Kudos to everyone that put in their two cents worth; even the spammers and arrgh-tards that kept blamming OCN (what? me? complain about it? never!) did their part.

With this current event, it's a good thing, even though Creative lost their way along the way. Now, it's time for them to work it out for Vista so we don't get gipped and forgotten in the name of progress. If X-Fi^2 comes out and there's no good driver support from Creative, I think I just may hold them legally liable for the fundamental lack of compatibility, as well as a bait and switch tactic by saying it would work for Vista, but never fully realized the full potential, especially for the high end series cards with optical and digital output.
The Outrider
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X P6T6 WS REVOLUTION Radeon HD 7970 G. Skill 24GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black 1TB SSD BluRay Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 24" ASUS HDMI Corsair 1200w Gold Cooler Master CSX Green Dragon XXLE (6 of 300 -... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Tron Razer Goliathus Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD Logitech Z-5450 
AudioOther
4.1 Trash Set tuned crispy Blackmagic Intensity Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Outrider
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 Extreme 990X P6T6 WS REVOLUTION Radeon HD 7970 G. Skill 24GB Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black 1TB SSD BluRay Burner Corsair H100 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 24" ASUS HDMI Corsair 1200w Gold Cooler Master CSX Green Dragon XXLE (6 of 300 -... 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Tron Razer Goliathus Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD Logitech Z-5450 
AudioOther
4.1 Trash Set tuned crispy Blackmagic Intensity Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Why is everyone arguing about the fact that he's accepting donations? That's not the real reason that Creative spoke up; he was reverse engineering their software people. You can't just take a company's software, change it up (possibly releasing copyrighted decoding, etc. without licenses from Dolby), then distribute it without getting some sort of warning from the people that created the original code.
It would be different if he coded some Linux drivers from his own source code, or made his very own Windows drivers from his own source code......but he didn't.
I'm sorry, but this is just a fact. I think Creative is shady for deactivating DTS for the Audigy in Vista and the other things they crippled, but the bottom line is that Daniel_K could have possibly been taken to court......
But... status quo of drivers is that developers turn a blind eye. (Go look at video card, TV tuners, WiFi cards, NICs, ect). Creative only moved against Daniel_K because he was unlocking features that they didn't want working... so they could sell more product.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
Oh yeah, everyone should opt that attitude, care for no one, that's why there's OCN and people helping each others. Because as far as I know, you don't know anyone of us here. And no one said that he plotted anything, the fact is that he made money out of what he was doing and that's what people are judging, $150 or $15 000 is the same in the eyes of Creative, why?
-They lose reputation and money because Daniel_K proved that he could do a better job than Creative itself
-They lose credibility because Daniel_K somehow unlocked some features that Creative claimed to be only compatible with their expensive cards

That's my 2cents and I'm not trying to flame you or start a flame war, it's just that I agree on one point you made, some people care way too much for people they don't know, but I just don't agree with not caring for anyone that you don't know. Even if you don't care about someone's future, it's not something that you say especially in a community where people help each other.
Mm, you're assuming because I don't care about one stranger that I don't care about all strangers? Where do ya'll come up with these conclusions? I don't want to start a flame war either, so I'm not. But I just wanted to clarify that point and that I never wish negative things upon anyone, even my enemies. Perhaps it would have been better worded as, "I am apathetic and unattached towards Daniel_K".

And I love the OCN community.
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Why is everyone arguing about the fact that he's accepting donations? That's not the real reason that Creative spoke up; he was reverse engineering their software people. You can't just take a company's software, change it up (possibly releasing copyrighted decoding, etc. without licenses from Dolby), then distribute it without getting some sort of warning from the people that created the original code.
It would be different if he coded some Linux drivers from his own source code, or made his very own Windows drivers from his own source code......but he didn't.
I'm sorry, but this is just a fact. I think Creative is shady for deactivating DTS for the Audigy in Vista and the other things they crippled, but the bottom line is that Daniel_K could have possibly been taken to court......
I think the argument about donations arose because some people have taken the legal stand point, and others the moral one. As for me, I think that perhaps accepting donations was a little naive but I hardly think the man is a criminal who's sneakily trying to con us out of our money at Creative's expense.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6300 Gigabyte GA 965P DS3 HIS X1900XT IceQ3 512MB 2GB Geil value PC5300 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD CE 250GB Win XP Home SP2/Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Dell 2007WFP 20.1" Dell 
PowerCaseMouse
450W X-Power Antec SLK3000B Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6300 Gigabyte GA 965P DS3 HIS X1900XT IceQ3 512MB 2GB Geil value PC5300 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD CE 250GB Win XP Home SP2/Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Dell 2007WFP 20.1" Dell 
PowerCaseMouse
450W X-Power Antec SLK3000B Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 69
If all this trouble came from Daniel_K asking for donations why didn't he do the smart thing and ask Creative for the cards? Chances are with the work he has done they would have given them to him.
DLDS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD x3 720BE ASUS M4A79 Deluxe HIS 5870 2x2 G Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
160 gig wd Vista Ult 64 Hannspree 22" ws GE 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650TX Xclio A380 logitech mx 310 
  hide details  
Reply
DLDS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD x3 720BE ASUS M4A79 Deluxe HIS 5870 2x2 G Geil Black Dragon 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
160 gig wd Vista Ult 64 Hannspree 22" ws GE 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 650TX Xclio A380 logitech mx 310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
Deserved it? What? He was in the wrong. There are no two ways about it. I'd think much higher of Daniel_K if he had said "Do not offer me money for these drivers."

But no. He had to be ignorant and accept donations.

All he deserves is the pleasure of helping other people. Money is worthless compared to that and you all know it.
Oh, go away. This is like the Rockbox developers getting a free Sansa E250 to develop software for it.

Seriously, he didn't make money off it. And as much as he liked helping other people, it seems like he didn't want to spend money on this.

If you have such high standards, why don't YOU spend a few hundred bucks on sound cards JUST to mod drivers for people you don't even know?

He wasn't in the wrong for accepting donations. Donations were, like was said before, to help him fund buying sound cards (so that he can test the drivers).

Quote:
All he deserves is the pleasure of helping other people. Money is worthless compared to that and you all know it.
This part really annoyed me. Yeah, everybody say that, but you KNOW that in real life, this just doesn't work.

Just like charity organizations accept donations, so does Daniel_K. People can't **** money.

In a perfect world, this would have been true.



Oh, and either most people who read Creative's original message were stupid, or they purposefully ignored the part that talked about Daniel_K enabling features that were disabled for lower end sound cards, like Dolby Digital decoding.

*That* is why they asked him to take it down, and that's also why they allowed him to continue offering the drivers for download, except the ones that do things like this.
Akiyama Mio
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 @ stock, 0.98v Asus P5N-E SLI Gainward GTX 460 1GB @ 800/1600/1900 2x2GB Kingston @ 800MHz 5-5-5-15 2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB, 320GB SATA/3, 16MB Cache, Seagate 1TB LG GSA-H62N 18x SATA Ubuntu 9.10 x86 & Win7 x86 Asus VW222U 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech Classic Corsair 650HX NZXT Apollo Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Akiyama Mio
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6420 @ stock, 0.98v Asus P5N-E SLI Gainward GTX 460 1GB @ 800/1600/1900 2x2GB Kingston @ 800MHz 5-5-5-15 2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 250GB, 320GB SATA/3, 16MB Cache, Seagate 1TB LG GSA-H62N 18x SATA Ubuntu 9.10 x86 & Win7 x86 Asus VW222U 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logitech Classic Corsair 650HX NZXT Apollo Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 69
stop acting all high and mighty with the donation bs....if you were in his shoes you would have taken them too
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz Asus Maximus Formula Evga 8800 GTS (G92) 512MB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC2 8500) DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Samsung SH-S203N Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Samsung 216BW 21.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620HX Cooler Master Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
X Trac Ripper Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz Asus Maximus Formula Evga 8800 GTS (G92) 512MB G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC2 8500) DDR2 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Samsung SH-S203N Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Samsung 216BW 21.6" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair 620HX Cooler Master Stacker 832 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
X Trac Ripper Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Custom PC] Creative backtracks over Daniel_K’s modded drivers