Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GT Akimbo or 8800GTS (g92)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8800GT Akimbo or 8800GTS (g92) - Page 3

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
I and alot of others will argue that, DuckieHo fo sure.....
About which point would you care to argue?

The second point might be worthy of debate, since I did not really state what I meant as clearly as I should of because I was worried about sounding too rude overall. What I should've said was that actually the resolution has almost nothing to do with how the extra shaders on the GTS affect performance, but what game you are playing does.

As for the first point, you can go ahead and argue all you want.

In fact, try me
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
About which point would you care to argue?

The second point might be worthy of debate, since I did not really state what I meant as clearly as I should of because I was worried about sounding too rude overall. What I should've said was that actually the resolution has almost nothing to do with how the extra shaders on the GTS affect performance, but what game you are playing does.

As for the first point, you can go ahead and argue all you want.

In fact, try me
This speaks my case in point.........beats the 1gb model in about 95% of the tests.
http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/30/r...need%EF%BC%9F/

And this proves the 112sp vs. 128sp theory to hell....
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/12...512/index.html

I am done wasting my breath.....
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 38
Allow me to point out that, over dozens of benches/settings, at the MOST, a 512MB 8800GT was 1.88% faster than a 1GB 8800GT. In the vast majority of cases where the 8800GT 512MB was the leader, the difference between the two was <1%.

This is a level of difference which can EASILY be explained by looser memory timings. I doubt, however, that it can be easily explained by talking about a 256bit memory bus vs. 1GB of vram. But by all means, if you can do so, I'd love to hear it.

I would point out that over this same extensive set of benches, at the MOST, the 1GB 8800GT was 388% FASTER than the 512MB 8800GT.

DAMN that 256-bit memory bus!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
This speaks my case in point.........beats the 1gb model in about 95% of the tests.
http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/30/r...need%EF%BC%9F/

And this proves the 112sp vs. 128sp theory to hell....
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/12...512/index.html

I am done wasting my breath.....
Yeah, what you are doing is EXACTLY wasting your breath, because not only have you not even stated WHAT you are arguing, but you've not explained HOW the benches you've linked to prove your argument (whatever that argument may happen to be).

In fact, your first link (one which I've personally linked to at least 4 different times on this board in the past while having similar arguments) actually suggests EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Furthermore, 95% is not even close to accurate in terms of how often the 512 beats the 1GB on those benches. It's actually closer to 65% in reality. ANd again, in the VAST majority of cases, the perf diff is <1% in favor of the 512MB card.

I'd love to hear you explain how this result is explained by the 256bit memory bus, in some kind of an intelligent manner.

Lastly, I notice that you fail to mention that at the bottom of the final result chart, you can see that, on average, the 1GB card is 10% faster over the course of the tests.

As far as the second of your bench results goes, I looked through the first few pages, and I'm just not seeing HOW these results contradict what I'm saying about the stream processor counts. Explain your argument, and we'll take it from there.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Allow me to point out that, over dozens of benches/settings, at the MOST, a 512MB 8800GT was 1.88% faster than a 1GB 8800GT. In the vast majority of cases where the 8800GT 512MB was the leader, the difference between the two was <1%.

This is a level of difference which can EASILY be explained by looser memory timings. I doubt, however, that it can be easily explained by talking about a 256bit memory bus vs. 1GB of vram. But by all means, if you can do so, I'd love to hear it.

I would point out that over this same extensive set of benches, at the MOST, the 1GB 8800GT was 388% FASTER than the 512MB 8800GT.

DAMN that 256-bit memory bus!
388%??? Wow....I would like to know where you pulled that number....Whatever this has gone extremely off topic. OUT
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 38
$10 more, get the GTS.
NEMESIS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 L628F 2.4-@3.6GHZ ASUS P5N-E 650i SLi XFX 512MB G92 8800GTS XXX 820/2020/2240 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667@970 CAS4 2T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320Gb ST3320620AS Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 22" LG W2252TQ 2ms 10000:1 1680x1050 + 19" Hyundai Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700w CM Stacker 832 Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
NEMESIS
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 L628F 2.4-@3.6GHZ ASUS P5N-E 650i SLi XFX 512MB G92 8800GTS XXX 820/2020/2240 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667@970 CAS4 2T 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
320Gb ST3320620AS Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 22" LG W2252TQ 2ms 10000:1 1680x1050 + 19" Hyundai Saitek Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700w CM Stacker 832 Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 38
Why, I 'pulled out' that crazy number right from the frigging LINK YOU POSTED.

http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/30/r...d%ef%bc%9f/16/

Go to the very bottom, read it and ... well, don't weep. It's not that big a deal that you failed to even read your OWN supposed proof before you presented it.

And by all means, do run away from this argument. It seems you may be in over your head, given that you still haven't even attempted to state your point, let alone prove it
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Why, I 'pulled out' that crazy number right from the frigging LINK YOU POSTED.

http://en.expreview.com/2007/12/30/r...d%ef%bc%9f/16/

Go to the very bottom, read it and ... well, don't weep. It's not that big a deal that you failed to even read your OWN supposed proof before you presented it.

And by all means, do run away from this argument. It seems you may be in over your head, given that you still haven't even attempted to state your point, let alone prove it
Apparently you can not read......355.81%....not 388%. And that is one 1 benchmark only. Oh and I proved my point just fine, you just can't understand it.
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 7 1700
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 FE Geil 16GB RGB DDR43000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVME SSD Xigmatek Scylla 240 AIO Win10 Pro X64 Qnix QX2710LED @ 110hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Masterset MS121  EVGA G2 850 w/EVGA Black Cableset Lian Li Test Bench Cooler Master Masterset MS121  
Audio
Sanyo Soundbar FWSB405F 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 38
alright alright everyone calm down......GTS gets my vote
Shhhh
(12 items)
 
HTPC/Steambox
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k @ 4.7 MSI Krait Gaming 3x MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 500 Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Dell S2716DGR 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-660XP Fractal R5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 Asus Gene V  MSI Gaming X RX 480 2x8 GB DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
3x4 TB HGST Samsung 840 Pro 256 Sony XBR65X900E SeaSonic X650 
CaseAudio
Fractal R5 Denon AVR-1713, Infinity P363, PC351, P163BK, E... 
  hide details  
Reply
Shhhh
(12 items)
 
HTPC/Steambox
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k @ 4.7 MSI Krait Gaming 3x MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 2x8 GB DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo 500 Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 Dell S2716DGR 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-660XP Fractal R5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k @ 4.5 Asus Gene V  MSI Gaming X RX 480 2x8 GB DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorPower
3x4 TB HGST Samsung 840 Pro 256 Sony XBR65X900E SeaSonic X650 
CaseAudio
Fractal R5 Denon AVR-1713, Infinity P363, PC351, P163BK, E... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Apparently you can not read......355.81%....not 388%. And that is one 1 benchmark only. Oh and I proved my point just fine, you just can't understand it.
U got me, I apologize. Fact is, I've looked at that article so many times that I didn't even look at it this time, and I forgot exactly what the difference was. So yeah, it's 355.81%, not 388%. My bad.

And yeah, it's pretty difficult to understand someone's point when they won't even f***ing SAY what it IS.

I don't blame you for not doing do so, though.

I doubt you even know what it is ...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 8800GT Akimbo or 8800GTS (g92)