Hmmmm where do I put my temperature probes???
Well i know that many people these days have some sort of hardware temp monitoring like a fan controller and many of these controllers come provided with temp probes...Take the '' Cooler master aerogate 2'' for instance, now this product comes with 4 temp probes and i can already hear you asking '' well where the heck do i put them''. Well the four places that i personally reccomend that you install a probe on would be.....
1. CPU ( The part of the computer that can be the hottest..always good to monitor ).
2. Harddrive(s) ( Its always good to monitor these too make sure they arn't getting too hot and being stressed).
3. Chipset ( Same as the cpu really..it wont get as hot as a cpu but always good to monitor).
4. Now the forth one is up two you totally...i have my fourth one monitoring my psu for instance.
Well now i will tell you where the best place is to install these four probes, on your various bits of hardware.
1. Well there are two places where you can install a temp probe for the CPU, the first would be to place a temp probe between your heatsink and your cpu...DO NOT USE TAPE OR GLUE TO STICK TEMP PROBE,ALSO PLACING TEMP PROBE UNDER HEATSINK MAY AFFECT THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY!!! and this is because the thermal paste and the weight of you heatsink will hold it into place between your heatsink and cpu.The other place in which you can put a probe to monitor a CPU would be on the side of your heatsink (unfortunately this wont give you the most accurate temp readings) To do this i would use some duck tape or other strong tape to stick the probe onto a solid part on the heatsink. There is also another way in which you can install a temp probe for the CPU for even more accurate readings and that would be to Placing the Temperature probe on the underside of CPU would give more accurate readings. If the wire (Temp probe) fits between the pins on the bottom of the CPU (Underside). (TAKE CARE WHEN DOING THIS METHOD AS IT COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO CPU DURING INSTALLATION E.G BENT PINS!!!)
2. Now to apply a temp probe to monitor a harddrive is nice and easy, all you have to do is locate the top of your hardrive and fix a temp probe in the centre using some trusty duck tape.Now the reason i suggest the top and in the centre is because in the centre on alot of harddrives is where the motor is and is of course is going to be one of the hottest places. (PLEASE DO NOT AFFIX A TEMP PROBE ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR HDD BECAUSE OF SENSITIVE ELECTRICAL PARTS)
3.Now the third place to place a temp probe would be on the chipset.Once again there are two ways in which you could do this.The first would be to locate your chipset and remove the heatsink covering it and place a temp probe in between the heatsink and chipset then when you clamp down heatsink it will pin the temp probe in between the heatsink and chipset...(ONCE AGAIN PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE IN THIS INSTANCE AS DUCK TAPE WILL ACT AS A BLANKET OF HEAT) . The second place you could affix a temp prob on the chipset would be to tape the probe straight onto the heatsink. ( THIS MAY AFFECT THE ACCURACY OF TEMP READINGS)
4.Well like i said the fourth probe is totally up to you, some places i would reccomend though would be on the side of your psu...or better would be to place a temp probe on the top of you case to measure ambient case temps and the top is best because heat rises so this would then give you a good all around reading of your ambient case temps.
Well i hope this helps all you folks wondering where you should place your trusty temp probes. If you have any questions then please dont hesitate to PM me.......HAVE FUN
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK THE FOLLOWING FOR THERE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS: