Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BBC] Relationships with robots??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[BBC] Relationships with robots?? - Page 5

post #41 of 65
Theroretically sex with non humanoid objects already occurs so I guess this is just adding a bit of realism to it. It will probably be sold as a toy however, I don't believe it is possible to have a relationship with something that cannot feel (inherantly an animalistic trait).
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
While I don't think marriage should be "required," I think people should at least be in an emotional relationship before they do it. People now think of sex as a recreational activity. I think the main reason that those whom you call the "prudes" have the whole "no sex before marriage" rule thing is because a real man would make a promise to a woman before taking her. If a man is just going to do it and leave her hanging if something happens, then he is no better than a dog. That's my understanding of the "prudes," anyway.
I agree. I just don't understand the importance of the institution of marriage. The only reason I can see the "need" for marriage and ceremony would be to share assets and allow for the civil union aspect. If two people love each other enough and want to spend the rest of their lives together, marriage doesn't "validate" their devotion any more to them.

Also, Jarhead's post = win.
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
I agree. I just don't understand the importance of the institution of marriage. The only reason I can see the "need" for marriage and ceremony would be to share assets and allow for the civil union aspect. If two people love each other enough and want to spend the rest of their lives together, marriage doesn't "validate" their devotion any more to them.

Also, Jarhead's post = win.
In most cases tradition trumps logic unless a sufficiently long transition state occurs in human society precipitated by a tradition changing revolution such as the agricultural or industrial revolutions or globalism.

Plus chicks like to dress up and have a diamond.
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
I just don't understand the importance of the institution of marriage.
I understand it, and I respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
If two people love each other enough and want to spend the rest of their lives together, marriage doesn't "validate" their devotion any more to them.
To you, maybe not, but to others, maybe so. Even if you don't believe what other people believe, I still find it important and honorable to be able to respect them. You might not believe in marriage while I do, but in the end, I think we can all agree that it is not a bad thing, right?
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
To you, maybe not, but to others, maybe so. Even if you don't believe what other people believe, I still find it important and honorable to be able to respect them. You might not believe in marriage while I do, but in the end, I think we can all agree that it is not a bad thing, right?
To be able to respect them yes. But when laws are made where a couple cannot enjoy a union without institutionalization, it becomes a stipulation to respect the tradition, not a choice. It is very easy to argue for the status quo merely because you can say "that's how it is". However, those against the legality of what a marriage should be suggest the logic behind marriage and what it really means.

The most emphatic case of this is the issue of homosexual marriages. Why should they be denied the benefits that are provided to others (a public good therefore non-excludable) just because their union doesn't fit into your definition of a union. Who makes these definitions? The state? If so, why weren't they made so they benefitted all/most of the population?
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
To be able to respect them yes. But when laws are made where a couple cannot enjoy a union without institutionalization, it becomes a stipulation to respect the tradition, not a choice. It is very easy to argue for the status quo merely because you can say "that's how it is". However, those against the legality of what a marriage should be suggest the logic behind marriage and what it really means.

The most emphatic case of this is the issue of homosexual marriages. Why should they be denied the benefits that are provided to others (a public good therefore non-excludable) just because their union doesn't fit into your definition of a union. Who makes these definitions? The state? If so, why weren't they made so they benefitted all/most of the population?
Question is, why must it be marriage? Why would it be beneficial to homosexuals to use Marriage? Nothing wrong with it, but if you are breaking the law of marriage to begin with, then why do it at all? I am not against homosexuality since my sister is a lesbian, but I do not condone to marriage because they are breaking one of the sacred acts of it.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055T @ Stock ATM ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Crossfire Mobo ASUS 6970 Direct Cu II 2x4GB Patriot Extreme 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
1xWD Black 1TB 1xWD Green 1TB Pioneer D-180 Windows 7 Pro Saitek cyborg .5 
PowerCaseMouse
Antect True Power New 650W Mod Zalman GS1000 HP Voodoo DNA Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X6 1055T @ Stock ATM ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Crossfire Mobo ASUS 6970 Direct Cu II 2x4GB Patriot Extreme 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
1xWD Black 1TB 1xWD Green 1TB Pioneer D-180 Windows 7 Pro Saitek cyborg .5 
PowerCaseMouse
Antect True Power New 650W Mod Zalman GS1000 HP Voodoo DNA Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
The most emphatic case of this is the issue of homosexual marriages. Why should they be denied the benefits that are provided to others (a public good therefore non-excludable) just because their union doesn't fit into your definition of a union. Who makes these definitions? The state? If so, why weren't they made so they benefitted all/most of the population?
I think it varies state-to-state, but here I think we have "civil unions." I could care less what people do at home or how they want to live. However, I think this whole thing is being pushed for political reasons, as an agenda, in order to undermine, to mock, to attack religion. So for my state, all they're doing is complaining about the name when they get exactly the same rights/benefits under "civil unions."

Uh, oh... Getting a bit too political. You can have the last word, if you like.

/thread

Good day,

The Hundred Gunner
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MidЯange View Post
Question is, why must it be marriage? Why would it be beneficial to homosexuals to use Marriage? Nothing wrong with it, but if you are breaking the law of marriage to begin with, then why do it at all? I am not against homosexuality since my sister is a lesbian, but I do not condone to marriage because they are breaking one of the sacred acts of it.

Marriage isn't a religious binding anymore....What is so sacred about marriage anymore ? It's not a ceremony of holiness, its a bondage of two people. Who are other to say that the homosexuals that want to be married aren't a example of a REAL marriage.

Fact is, people think because they are the same sex they believe that there is no way homosexuals can last forever, that is a opinion and most people try to carry it as a fact.

Divorce breaks one of the sacred acts of marriage, but yet it happens everyday and no one sheds a tear or has a political debate about it. The only true reason people don't accept gay marriage is because of GOD pointed and said "Bad"!
Calypso
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz Gigabyte EP45-UD3P XFX 9600 GT 6 Gigabytes Mixed Ballstix,Tracers 1:1 400MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Seagate 320, 1x 400 WD in Raid 0 Windows Vista Ultimate x86 ASUS MK241h 24" Microsoft Multimeda 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill 600W Xclio Windtunnel Microsoft Multimedia OSCS 
  hide details  
Reply
Calypso
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz Gigabyte EP45-UD3P XFX 9600 GT 6 Gigabytes Mixed Ballstix,Tracers 1:1 400MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Seagate 320, 1x 400 WD in Raid 0 Windows Vista Ultimate x86 ASUS MK241h 24" Microsoft Multimeda 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill 600W Xclio Windtunnel Microsoft Multimedia OSCS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
lolchobits.
also, win.
Classic.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
Oh lord.

Only the Japanese.
Hehe, it's actually a Canadian android. It's supposed to resemble a Japanese girl though since "her" name is Aiko and "she" speaks Japanese/English
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz --- Nvidia GeForce 9400M 2GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 120GB 5400RPM --- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard --- 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
--- --- --- --- 
Mouse Pad
--- 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz --- Nvidia GeForce 9400M 2GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 120GB 5400RPM --- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard --- 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
--- --- --- --- 
Mouse Pad
--- 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [BBC] Relationships with robots??