Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › So I am thinking of Going Surround Sound
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So I am thinking of Going Surround Sound - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ok, remember this sound card is going to be used in Linux, so the drivers might not be the same.

No bed post, but I like the ceiling idea.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethredic View Post
Ok, remember this sound card is going to be used in Linux, so the drivers might not be the same.

No bed post, but I like the ceiling idea.
Both the Chainteck AV-710 and the b-Enspirer work under various extents with linux.

Keep in mind that you'll want the rear speakers to be about equidistant away from you, and the speakers have to be aimed at you.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 


I will just set them up like this. The 2 rear speakers will be mounted on the ceiling.

I can't find the sound cards you are recommending from Canadian shops, but how does this one look?
EDIT: According to some reviews, it is detected by alsa out of the box, so that is a bonus.

Ok, for speakers, here are my thoughts so far.
Z-5500- Great reviews, great sound, maybe better sound than I need, or will notice. Has a great dock station or controller with an aux input. EXPENSIVE!!!
Z-5300e- Good reviews, good sound, maybe I will notice the difference between these and the Z-5500s, maybe not. They will be noticeably better than my 2.1 speakers now. Docking station doesn't look as nice, and doesn't have an aux input. Reasonable price.
X-540- Same as above, but better price, but worse sound.

Aux input is sorta important cause I like to play my music via my iPod, cause I tend to switch operating systems a couple times per day, and I don't have my music library in Windows. Also, I do play WC3 in windows, and I like to listen to my own music while I play. This way I can just keep the music going.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethredic View Post


I will just set them up like this. The 2 rear speakers will be mounted on the ceiling.

I can't find the sound cards you are recommending from Canadian shops, but how does this one look?
EDIT: According to some reviews, it is detected by alsa out of the box, so that is a bonus.

Ok, for speakers, here are my thoughts so far.
Z-5500- Great reviews, great sound, maybe better sound than I need, or will notice. Has a great dock station or controller with an aux input. EXPENSIVE!!!
Z-5300e- Good reviews, good sound, maybe I will notice the difference between these and the Z-5500s, maybe not. They will be noticeably better than my 2.1 speakers now. Docking station doesn't look as nice, and doesn't have an aux input. Reasonable price.
X-540- Same as above, but better price, but worse sound.

Aux input is sorta important cause I like to play my music via my iPod, cause I tend to switch operating systems a couple times per day, and I don't have my music library in Windows. Also, I do play WC3 in windows, and I like to listen to my own music while I play. This way I can just keep the music going.
I tried looking for some more info on the Montego, but I was only able to find that it is based on an older C-Media chipset, and there was nothing on DAC and OPAMP.

I did find this though. It is in Canada.

The Z-5500 definitely wins in every department compared to the other 2. You could connect your iPod to the other 2 by plugging the iPod straight into the front speaker jack of the speakers, but that will require you to unplug the front speakers from your PC evertime.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the link. I will see how much the Z-5500's are going for on e-bay. Maybe I can get lucky and snag one.
post #16 of 17
Is it possible for you to use some ceiling mounts for the rear speakers? If you don't want some thing permanet you can also use some heavy duty double sided foam tape to attach them. I use some 3m branded stuff and my rear speakers have been hanging there for about 6 months. As long as you don't have huge humidity changes the tape should stay for a long time.
ChemX1200
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 @ 3.6Ghz DFI UT X48 T2R VisionTek HD4870 OCZ Titanium DDR800 (2x 2Gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x WD RE3 500Gb RAID0 On Areca1210 1x Pioneer BD-RW 1x Asus DVD-RW Lightscribe Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Dell 24" G2410 LED LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Customizer 104 Corsair 850W Mod. Cables Antec 1200 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
ChemX1200
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 @ 3.6Ghz DFI UT X48 T2R VisionTek HD4870 OCZ Titanium DDR800 (2x 2Gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x WD RE3 500Gb RAID0 On Areca1210 1x Pioneer BD-RW 1x Asus DVD-RW Lightscribe Windows 7 Ultimate X64 Dell 24" G2410 LED LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Customizer 104 Corsair 850W Mod. Cables Antec 1200 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethredic View Post
Thanks for the link. I will see how much the Z-5500's are going for on e-bay. Maybe I can get lucky and snag one.
Shipping sucks on speakers. You'll probably save some money waiting for them to go on sale at your local future shop (AKA best buy).
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › So I am thinking of Going Surround Sound