Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Need Suggestion on HD2900XT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Suggestion on HD2900XT

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
hi all, I need some suggestions on my HD2900XT cooling solutions.

first thing first I currently have it like this (inspired by a OCN member's mod but i don't remember member's name) ignore that other fan at the back of the case, it's gone now.





well, as u can see, there's very little room for the cooler side of the card, stupid m2a-mvp have that PCIE set at 16x the upper one is 8x sigh,

what would u suggest me to do to imporve the cooling a little better (without spending real money, something small, I have many spare 80mm fans)

EDIT : the pix magically gone,

Pic1
and

Pic2
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
Have you turned the fan speed on it up yet?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
@RMA @RMA EVGA 8800GT @700/1755/2040 2GB OCZ Plat.Rev2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Maxtor Diamondmax 200GB Vista XP Aspire 550W Thermaltake Shark 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
@RMA @RMA EVGA 8800GT @700/1755/2040 2GB OCZ Plat.Rev2 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Maxtor Diamondmax 200GB Vista XP Aspire 550W Thermaltake Shark 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntSheep View Post
Have you turned the fan speed on it up yet?
is that how ppl does it?
cause it's quiet loud
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Get a 80mm Slot fan and place it underneath the card to keep it cool, check my build log below for pics. My card Idles @ 48C via rivatuner.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post
Get a 80mm Slot fan and place it underneath the card to keep it cool, check my build log below for pics. My card Idles @ 48C via rivatuner.
actually i can't do that either
there's a PCI wireless network card right underneath the 2900XT(my only pci slot availiable)

EDIT : Sorry Guys I can't see the get the pix to work right, that Pic2 link works tho
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
What temps does your card actually hit?
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmightyone View Post
What temps does your card actually hit?
right forgot about that

core temp is usually idle at 63 - 65c
and ambient(or however u spell it) is around 50
ram temp is around 50 also

EDIT: I can't go and see it right now cause i'm at work right now
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
hi all, I need some suggestions on my HD2900XT cooling solutions.

first thing first I currently have it like this (inspired by a OCN member's mod but i don't remember member's name) ignore that other fan at the back of the case, it's gone now.





well, as u can see, there's very little room for the cooler side of the card, stupid m2a-mvp have that PCIE set at 16x the upper one is 8x sigh,

what would u suggest me to do to imporve the cooling a little better (without spending real money, something small, I have many spare 80mm fans)

EDIT : the pix magically gone,

Pic1
and

Pic2
You live in Canada? Do what I do..... open a window! (I live in Minnesota, neighbor).

Seriously though.....

Your links don't seem to be working.... but what I'd do (if there's room) is attach a fan in front of the HDD bays with twist/zip ties, blowing towards the rear. Then open/remove all the rear expansion slot covers. This will get air flowing through past the card. If you can, try even attaching a fan inside the 5.25" drive bays, slightly pointing down towards the card. If ties don't work you could always try some hot-glue. It usually isn't permanent. Hope that helps!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
You live in Canada? Do what I do..... open a window! (I live in Minnesota, neighbor).

Seriously though.....

Your links don't seem to be working.... but what I'd do (if there's room) is attach a fan in front of the HDD bays with twist/zip ties, blowing towards the rear. Then open/remove all the rear expansion slot covers. This will get air flowing through past the card. If you can, try even attaching a fan in the 5.25" drive bays, slightly pointing down towards the card. Hope that helps!
ur Open window trick works but i got cats and no window mesh lol, anyways,
that actually didn't workout for me, i can't find a fan like that easily that run on power core (all battery ones) and i used to have one 120mm fan at the bottom of the front panel and that gives no airflow to the back, not that fan is up to the 5.25 bay area, pix in the future, as it's part of my case mod,
click on pic2 it works
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ultimate
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 ASUS Radeon HD6850 DirectCU 4x4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSPower
1x 120GB Intel 320 Series SSD + 4x 1TB SATA Windows 8 Pro 64bit CM 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
ur Open window trick works but i got cats and no window mesh lol, anyways,
that actually didn't workout for me, i can't find a fan like that easily that run on power core (all battery ones) and i used to have one 120mm fan at the bottom of the front panel and that gives no airflow to the back, not that fan is up to the 5.25 bay area, pix in the future, as it's part of my case mod,
click on pic2 it works
Sorry, both links still don't work. Maybe if you get them up I might come up with few more ideas.

PS: Did you try setting a fan inside on the bottom of your case, blowing directly into the cards fan?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Need Suggestion on HD2900XT