Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] (video) Kids who don't play games are at risk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Kotaku] (video) Kids who don't play games are at risk - Page 4

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Society advances, get used to it.
So how come in 1950 (when kids couldn't play computer based video games) were there less violent incidents involving teenagers/young adults?

If you've ADVANCED to being LESS able to control yourself then I salute you. It must have taken a lot of effort to devolve into a kid who's entire ability to lead a normal life without violence hinges on their ability to play violent video games.

Kudos to you my friend, you've really schooled us all.

See this is my point entirely, this KID thinks society has advanced into a retarded form ***?

He doesn't try to change the frustration causing elements in his life.....he simply plays games to neutralise the pent up anger he has as a result of having to endure these situations. This, ofcourse will continue for the duration of his entire life. When he hits 40yrs old.......50yrs old it will still be the same. Whenever he gets angry or frustrated he'll just pick up his controller or mouse/kb combo and release all that anger in a mature, grown up and sensible manner And on no occasion will anyone have to worry that the video games simply don't DO IT for him anymore. The fact that all he needs do is play a video game and everyone else in his state can sleep easy since they know the video game ALWAYS SATISFIES his appetite for relieving his own violent frustrations.

Bollox, that's just dumb.

Lets get back to the point at hand.

If YOU get angry or frustrated at certain things in life there is such a thing as self control. If you can't control yourself without a video game to enable you to play out fantasies of extracting revenge on bullies or vent anger againts worldly situations....then you my friend have serious mental problems.
The key to being an adult is knowing how to DISPERSE anger and frustration and work towards a more piecefull life.

Resigning yourself to the fact that "I'm gonna get angry when I get bullied, so NEED to vent frustration" is simply a retarded cowardly stance and leaves you no-more mature than the virtual characters you use ingame to perform your actions.
MOFO Q6600
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3600MHz 18/7 ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP 8800GT 2GB A-DATA DDR2-1100 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB SATAII 16MB CACHE LG 20x MULTI BURNER VISTA ULTIMATE | XPpro SP3 22" WIDESCREEN TFT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SOFT-TOUCH 600w OCZ CUSTOM BUILT A4-TECH X7 LAZER 2500DPi 
Mouse Pad
GLASS TRACER 
  hide details  
Reply
MOFO Q6600
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3600MHz 18/7 ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP 8800GT 2GB A-DATA DDR2-1100 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB SATAII 16MB CACHE LG 20x MULTI BURNER VISTA ULTIMATE | XPpro SP3 22" WIDESCREEN TFT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SOFT-TOUCH 600w OCZ CUSTOM BUILT A4-TECH X7 LAZER 2500DPi 
Mouse Pad
GLASS TRACER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 47
You are being a moron and blew the argument completely out of proportion.
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
Why were you such an angry kid? Couldn't you just use your intelligence and think, "Hold on, being a trouble-maker or fighting all the time is wrong....I should really try to calm down and stop it?"

You couldn't think that by yourself no? You needed video games to teach you that yeah? Or hold on.....are you saying it's because you PLAY the video games now that you don't get into fights all the time? In which case if you ever stop playing them......then you're gonna start tickin' like a time-bomb?

I get the feeling you're saying you are involved in fights all the time, and now the only thing stopping THAT behaviour from continuing is the fact that you're able to play video games.

Either way, it's the comments of an ignorant, immature child who has little or no grasp of social order.

It really makes me laugh to see such naive comments.

I don't need video games to vent anger in my life......I tend to steer towards minimising ANGER and FRUSTRATION in my life....I find it works better.
Imagine I NEEDED to play video games to vent violent frustration out and then I stopped and decided I needed to knock the ***** out of every video game playing child I come across? I have a feeling you'd be one of the first to label me a nutter with psychological problems. Which would be correct.

What defense would I have with using the fact I couldn't partake in an artificially created past-time to vent my anger....so I simply had to vent it in a violent manner? I'd have NO DEFENCE since thats a retarded excuse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is bollox. Kids these days are treated like adults, when they shouldn't be.

I'd like to ask the question, "What is wrong with society these days that CHILDREN need to vent anger and frustration?"


"If they don't play violent games to vent their anger, then sports is a must.....and if they don't get to vent anger and frustration on those situations then it'll just build up until they do something violent!"

What on earth is going on here, why the hell do children have so much anger/frustration to release?

I'd like to see a complete ban on children playing ANY form of video game based entertainment. They need to be placed back in a time where they use they're own imagination and are given the chance to grow-up without the NEED for being a socially accepted video game blasting anger venting CHILD.

Perhaps then we'd see a world where children are children and adults are adults and the two groups don't get so confused.
The only one who appears angry is you....

But you do touch on issues that deserve to be highlighted. even so, that doesn't mean people will acknowledge them...let me explain;

The only reason why children are so angry and frustrated, (at least in britian) is the needless pressure school's put them under. and the neglect they recieve from thier alcoholic parents.

I did terrible in school, as i left high school at 13. because of my newfound freedom i spent my time acting a child than learning to behave like an adult. (and ironically, this approach is much more successful) as it gave me the time to learn more about myself and because of this ive got a broader sense of awareness and i'm much more capable of dealing problems on an emotional level. in my minds eye, thats what being an adult is all about

Cant say the same for the people in my year, who spent thier school life desensitizing themselves to these vital things. slowly developing problems over a long period and letting them manifest themselves into drug addiction and other bad behavior later in life. and thus the cycle continues onto thier children.

Britains education system is an epic failure.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
The only one who appears angry is you...

The only reason why children are so angry and frustrated, (at least in britian) is the needless pressure school's put them under. and the neglect they recieve from thier alcoholic parents.

I did terrible in school, as i left high school at 13. because of my newfound freedom i spent my time acting a child than learning to behave like an adult. it gave me the time to learn more about myself and because of this ive got a broader sense of awareness and i'm much more capable of dealing problems on an emotional level.

Cant say the same for the people in my year, who spent thier school life desensitizing themselves to these vital things. slowly developing problems over a long period and letting them manifest themselves into drug addiction and other bad behavior later in life. and thus the cycle continues onto thier children.

Britains education system is an epic failure.
I think overall us Britain people are overworked and underpaid. Its very stressful here.
post #35 of 47
Wow.

tl;dr
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 47
Wow, I like this thread so far. Usually with a videogame thread its about jack thompson and his stupidity, but now we are arguing(civilly) about how our views on it.
Phrack
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 2.4 ASUS x38 Maximus Extreme Gigabyte 8800 GT G.Skill 2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250GB SATA/4GB Flash Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Westinghouse 22" WS 5 MS Logitech G15 Rev2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR 620HX ANTEC 900 Logitech MX518 FABRIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Phrack
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 2.4 ASUS x38 Maximus Extreme Gigabyte 8800 GT G.Skill 2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250GB SATA/4GB Flash Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit Westinghouse 22" WS 5 MS Logitech G15 Rev2 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR 620HX ANTEC 900 Logitech MX518 FABRIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You are being a moron and blew the argument completely out of proportion.
So go exact some revenge in a video game, all is well
MOFO Q6600
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3600MHz 18/7 ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP 8800GT 2GB A-DATA DDR2-1100 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB SATAII 16MB CACHE LG 20x MULTI BURNER VISTA ULTIMATE | XPpro SP3 22" WIDESCREEN TFT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SOFT-TOUCH 600w OCZ CUSTOM BUILT A4-TECH X7 LAZER 2500DPi 
Mouse Pad
GLASS TRACER 
  hide details  
Reply
MOFO Q6600
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3600MHz 18/7 ASUS P5K-E/WiFi-AP 8800GT 2GB A-DATA DDR2-1100 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB SATAII 16MB CACHE LG 20x MULTI BURNER VISTA ULTIMATE | XPpro SP3 22" WIDESCREEN TFT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SOFT-TOUCH 600w OCZ CUSTOM BUILT A4-TECH X7 LAZER 2500DPi 
Mouse Pad
GLASS TRACER 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I knew it.

"Violent" Video games allow kids to get out all the aggression. And when they can't put there aggression into something, like sports, games or something else, it will just build up and lead to something violent happening.

That was a very interesting interview, glad there are people out there that actually do real research.
if it wasnt for violent video games, i would probably be in a mental institution. lifting weights helps as any physical activity is good for mental stress, but seeing body parts go flying is too. i think thats why we dont see as many f'd up serial killers any more, they dont really need to kill someone to get a relief just go to the video store.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
I think overall us Britain people are overworked and underpaid. Its very stressful here.
yeah its seems like there is a bigger gap there between the poor and wealthy, then again yall dont have a whole lot of room over there either.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
So how come in 1950 (when kids couldn't play computer based video games) were there less violent incidents involving teenagers/young adults?

If you've ADVANCED to being LESS able to control yourself then I salute you. It must have taken a lot of effort to devolve into a kid who's entire ability to lead a normal life without violence hinges on their ability to play violent video games.

Kudos to you my friend, you've really schooled us all.

See this is my point entirely, this KID thinks society has advanced into a retarded form ***?

He doesn't try to change the frustration causing elements in his life.....he simply plays games to neutralise the pent up anger he has as a result of having to endure these situations. This, ofcourse will continue for the duration of his entire life. When he hits 40yrs old.......50yrs old it will still be the same. Whenever he gets angry or frustrated he'll just pick up his controller or mouse/kb combo and release all that anger in a mature, grown up and sensible manner And on no occasion will anyone have to worry that the video games simply don't DO IT for him anymore. The fact that all he needs do is play a video game and everyone else in his state can sleep easy since they know the video game ALWAYS SATISFIES his appetite for relieving his own violent frustrations.

Bollox, that's just dumb.

Lets get back to the point at hand.

If YOU get angry or frustrated at certain things in life there is such a thing as self control. If you can't control yourself without a video game to enable you to play out fantasies of extracting revenge on bullies or vent anger againts worldly situations....then you my friend have serious mental problems.
The key to being an adult is knowing how to DISPERSE anger and frustration and work towards a more piecefull life.

Resigning yourself to the fact that "I'm gonna get angry when I get bullied, so NEED to vent frustration" is simply a retarded cowardly stance and leaves you no-more mature than the virtual characters you use ingame to perform your actions.
First of all, if you'd actually view the entire video it says the violence is LESS today than it was back then. Sure this is MORE violence, but thats because there are MORE people. The percentage of those involved in violence is much less, which is all that matters.

Second of all, you are on a Comp/Gaming forum and you are siding with the people that gamers hate the most. Not a very good thing to do if you plan on staying here. You wouldn't go into a PS3 forum and scream 360 rocks, now would you?

Third, You are the only one freaking out here. No one else.

It seems you are the only one on this thread that needs to grow up, not marin, not anyone else. Only you.

You say you minimize your anger and fustration. No matter how much you "minimize" them, you will always reach a peak and burst. Its people like you that have mid life crisis in their 40s because they never learned how to vent correctly in their younger years.

Maybe you are so angry because you don't actually play violent video games? It supports what they are trying to say, does it not?
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Kotaku] (video) Kids who don't play games are at risk