Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › x48 and e8400 =)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

x48 and e8400 =) - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaseinx View Post
Try 1.55.
Are you really needing that nuch NB voltage? My P5E does 515 FSB with 1.43v to the NB.


I would recommend running an 8x multi to the CPU and bump your FSB to 450 and see if your system will run stable. That will tell you your motherboard chipset can handle 450 FSB, which if it can, would mean your CPU is maxed.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6850K ASUS X99-AII eVGA GTX 1060 32Gb Team Vulcan DDR4 3000 Cas 15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVME Crucial M500 Seagate HDD Samsung F3 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100i Windows 10 Pro 64 Samsung KU6300 40" Corsair K70 Vengeance 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic Gold 750W Phantek Enthoo Pro M Logitech G9X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttenimunn View Post
Maxed out what i can get @ 3,12Volts... (how long should i run Orthos???)
allsow tossed in a link to my ram, someone asked for it.
Change your memory ratio to 1:1. You'll most likely see more stability
People will say different things about how long to run stability tests. Some say 8 hours; some say 24hours. I would not do 8 hours or > unless you've reached a speed you plan on using 24/7. 1 hour runs are good for checking new settings after you've checked them with SuperPi.
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
Are you really needing that nuch NB voltage? My P5E does 515 FSB with 1.43v to the NB.


I would recommend running an 8x multi to the CPU and bump your FSB to 450 and see if your system will run stable. That will tell you your motherboard chipset can handle 450 FSB, which if it can, would mean your CPU is maxed.
That was an answer to a poster that has a P35. There was another person asking a question.
It's still alot for a P35, I'm trying to get him stable (overvolt).
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaseinx View Post
Change your memory ratio to 1:1. You'll most likely see more stability
People will say different things about how long to run stability tests. Some say 8 hours; some say 24hours. I would not do 8 hours or > unless you've reached a speed you plan on using 24/7. 1 hour runs are good for checking new settings after you've checked them with SuperPi.
So u think i should sett the ratio @ 1:1 and try again?
even if i would hit a higher cpu score i wil loose on my ram? (86Mhz)
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Asus Rampage Formula X48 XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB OCZ DDR2 2048MB Platinum XTC Dual Ch. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows XP, Ubuntu Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 931BF Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3200 BeQuiet E-5 650W 
Case
Cooler Master Mystique 632 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Asus Rampage Formula X48 XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB OCZ DDR2 2048MB Platinum XTC Dual Ch. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows XP, Ubuntu Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 931BF Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3200 BeQuiet E-5 650W 
Case
Cooler Master Mystique 632 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttenimunn View Post
So u think i should sett the ratio @ 1:1 and try again?
even if i would hit a higher cpu score i wil loose on my ram? (86Mhz)
When trying to get a system stable, you should try to do everything to get the chip stable. It's not a good idea to try and tune everything at once.
- Loosen your timings
- Run 1:1

Once you get the chip stable, then worry about the ram.

You'll most likely be able to achieve lower latencies at your current speed. Below 1200MHz (around abouts there) lower latency will give you better performance than higher speeds with looser latencies. If the ram doesn't take lower latencies eventually, the stability you get from running 1:1 is enough reason to do so IMO. I've run my ram at 1200MHz and it resulted in less performance than at ~900MHz with lower latency
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 28
It's not about leaving your ram 1:1, it's about targeting the area of failure. If you adjust everything all at once and you get an error, what have you learned? Nothing. Set the ram to 1:1, loosen the timings, then play with fsb/nb/cpu voltages/clocks. Once you find a stable setting that you are happy with, then go back and adjust your ram. Whenever you make an adjustment to anything, just make one adjustment and test, that way you can troubleshoot the problem more accurately.

P.S. With my chip, I can get a stable 4ghz o/c at around 1.32v, but I get 3.6ghz at 1.18, so I figure keeping my chip barely above the vid is more important for longevity than a 400mhz clock increase. To get more performance out of my system without pushing my chip, I did what someone said earlier and dropped my multi to 8x, bumped my fsb to 450, and my whole system runs a little bit quicker and I end up feeling more comfortable.

edit: dasein beat me to it. He's right too, I have wintec 1066 mem that will not run at a 4 cas latency, even at 1080mhz, I get about 9gb/s in benchmarking, lower than a lot of people running 1:1 at 4-4-4-12.
post #27 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
It's not about leaving your ram 1:1, it's about targeting the area of failure. If you adjust everything all at once and you get an error, what have you learned? Nothing. Set the ram to 1:1, loosen the timings, then play with fsb/nb/cpu voltages/clocks. Once you find a stable setting that you are happy with, then go back and adjust your ram. Whenever you make an adjustment to anything, just make one adjustment and test, that way you can troubleshoot the problem more accurately.

P.S. With my chip, I can get a stable 4ghz o/c at around 1.32v, but I get 3.6ghz at 1.18, so I figure keeping my chip barely above the vid is more important for longevity than a 400mhz clock increase. To get more performance out of my system without pushing my chip, I did what someone said earlier and dropped my multi to 8x, bumped my fsb to 450, and my whole system runs a little bit quicker and I end up feeling more comfortable.

edit: dasein beat me to it. He's right too, I have wintec 1066 mem that will not run at a 4 cas latency, even at 1080mhz, I get about 9gb/s in benchmarking, lower than a lot of people running 1:1 at 4-4-4-12.
Thanks for the info, i wil try to do more next weekend^^
For now i'll stick to stock speeds until i can realy test it.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Asus Rampage Formula X48 XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB OCZ DDR2 2048MB Platinum XTC Dual Ch. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows XP, Ubuntu Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 931BF Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3200 BeQuiet E-5 650W 
Case
Cooler Master Mystique 632 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Asus Rampage Formula X48 XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB OCZ DDR2 2048MB Platinum XTC Dual Ch. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows XP, Ubuntu Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 931BF Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3200 BeQuiet E-5 650W 
Case
Cooler Master Mystique 632 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon View Post
There is nothing wrong with hes/her scores. You just fail too see that he/she doesn't have identical system to yours.

You also need to understand that not all chips are the same. Not all of them will clock the same with same voltages.


Same goes to you. I think you are comparing to dual to quad.


I believe it was 1.45v max. recommended for this chip, but i would recommend you to keep it under 1.4v.
While he may not have a system similar to the one listed below, he DOES have a system that is VERY similar to my old setup. E8400, Asus Maximus/Rampage Formula and decent RAM. The difference is that he's running a 8800GTS and I was running a 8800GT. In theory his 3DMark06 scores should have been similar if not better than my old scores, certainly not 2500-3000 points less. That was my point.

As far as all chips not being the same, I agree. Some batches are better than others, however utilizing OC results from others with the same model chip may help to guide him in the right direction, especially if he's using too much VCORE.
PLEX Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 940 @ 4.4 GHz ASUS Rampage II Extreme (2) Visiontek HD5870 1GB 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4 - 5TB Seagate USB3 External LiteOn 16x DL DVDRW Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit Samsung 26" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w Coolermaster Centurion 5 Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
PLEX Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 940 @ 4.4 GHz ASUS Rampage II Extreme (2) Visiontek HD5870 1GB 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
4 - 5TB Seagate USB3 External LiteOn 16x DL DVDRW Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit Samsung 26" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w Coolermaster Centurion 5 Razer Copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › x48 and e8400 =)