Overclock.net banner

what linux to use for game servers

993 views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Pooping^fish 
#1 ·
i was wondering what linux to use to host my own game servers.

#3 ·
Slackware

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by killin View Post
ill be hosting COD4, TS,CSS and others to come
Since those games don't natively run in Linux, wouldn't it be better to run them in windows?

#8 ·
if you need any help running a css server on ubuntu let me know i made a huge faq on it.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Since those games don't natively run in Linux, wouldn't it be better to run them in windows?
They don't have to run natively. It's a server. Most CSS servers are run on Linux boxes.

Fedora works well from what I've heard.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chozart
View Post

On topic please (which is NOT Vista). This is a game server.

I'm confused...was this posted in the wrong section or something? I see no mention of anything off topic.

(Ah, maybe he deleted the post)

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG O View Post
They don't have to run natively. It's a server. Most CSS servers are run on Linux boxes.

Fedora works well from what I've heard.
How does that work? Do they run the servers in wine?

How is wine more reliable/overall "better" than running natively in windows?

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by killin
View Post

are there server files on Cod4 for windows?

Yes.

1. Start CoD4 normally.
2. Click host a server.
3. Select Dedicated.
4. Click start.
5. You'll see a console start up in a window. That is your CoD4 dedicated server.
6. Type

set rcon_password "password goes here"

(With quotes) into the console and push enter. (After changing the "password goes here" part.)

7. Find an easy to use Rcon such as RconMax (MW). Find it by searching for it on Google.
8. Connect to the CoD4 server (Doesn't matter if it is used on the local computer or not.)
9. The rest should be very easy.

I should know. I'm hosting one on this computer right now.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner
View Post

How does that work? Do they run the servers in wine?

How is wine more reliable/overall "better" than running natively in windows?

I'm not sure as to the details, but wine is not used.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Halflif...(CounterStrike)

Guide for doing it on Gentoo. I'm not an expert on it, I just know most are run on Linux boxes.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG O
View Post

I'm not sure as to the details, but wine is not used.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Halflif...(CounterStrike)

Guide for doing it on Gentoo. I'm not an expert on it, I just know most are run on Linux boxes.

That page says, "This thread is a candidate for deletion" and no other information.

I know that most servers are run on Linux, but I'm curious as to why, since the programs are windows-native.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by killin
View Post

ok well i know how to build a css server. but i currently have issue building a TF2 server and. also what ports will i need to open for COD4. also quick question which is a good router to allow more port forwards. because im running out of space >_<

29960 is the only port needed I believe. Though I do see some with 28930, so you might want to free that one up. Just in case.

Also, if you're hosting a server, and multiple servers at that, it would be best to have it wired directly to the internet. In other words: Wall -> Modem -> Server, would be best.

#20 ·
Quote:

View Post

That page says, "This thread is a candidate for deletion" and no other information.

I know that most servers are run on Linux, but I'm curious as to why, since the programs are windows-native.

A server isn't running the data, just hosting it basically.

Slackware is a very stable OS. I do know that Gentoo seems to be a popular choice though for game servers, but IMO its a pain to configure.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo
View Post

A server isn't running the data, just hosting it basically.

I know that, but the program for running the server is for windows, right? How can running it in Linux (through whatever means) increase reliability or whatever makes it better?

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
I think the actual server software is Linux native (you don't have to run the actual game... just the server)

Here is a link on how to set up the BF2 server:
http://www.serverwiki.org/index.php/...x_Server_Setup
i would love to do a ranked server but i have to go threw Ea for that and i dont want to

#24 ·
There is no better linux than the other. Its just which one you are more comfortable with. Alot of people like ubuntu these days. If thats what you like, then use it.

If u are a gentoo or a suse then use those. None give better performance than the other.

And for those that dont know, linux servers require less ram than a windows server does.

So if it is a small server, then linux is the way to go, but if its a large server, it really doesnt make a diff.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by danewfie
View Post

None give better performance than the other.

That's a bit untrue... Depending on what the company/community pre-loads on their distro, one can yield better performance over another.

#26 ·
Quote:

View Post

That's a bit untrue... Depending on what the company/community pre-loads on their distro, one can yield better performance over another.

But you can decide which components to install and not install of that 'pre loaded' distro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.