the internals are painted green-purple shift chameleon paint, the external pieces were painted blue, but i changed my mind and ruined a crapload of paint . As of now, all of the external pieces have been successfully repainted. Yay!
Mask off the already painted pieces:
And go to town.
Sorry about so few pics of this step, the batteries on my camera died .
Ok, now that i have all the pieces painted, it's time for the reassembly!
Many many pieces to rivet:
It's got fangs!
I had to get a little crafty when i mounted the top fans. You see, I forgot to cut a channel in the wood where i could run the wires. The wood was of course glued down by then, so...
Just run the wires through one of the mount holes. Of course, there is the unfortunate side effect of only being able to mount 3 screws, but c'est la vie.
Front rad is mounted:
I just used tin tabs to retain the rad to the case's frame
A rough idea of what it's gonna look like:
Of course, i'm going to polish the fins a little more, but i just wanted to see how it could look.
Now for the transplant surgery:
Are going into this purty case (notice the picture reuse ):
All the organs are out of the old case:
Pulled of the stock NB and SB heatsinks. Apparently asus uses some kind of thermal glue to retain the heatsinks. I had to use a blowdrier to even get them to wiggle
The replacements: Arctic Silver Ceramique, some BGA ramsinks, and a swiftech MCW30
My custom retention mechanism for the SB heat sink:
There she is, ready to go into the armor:
And there she is, in the armor:
A little cable management later...
I've got all of the PCI-e connectors right at the front simply because i'm gonna be the first in line for a 4870x2, and i want to just be able to socket it . Still don't know about that mobo cable though .
And i just put it to bed for the night .
Edited by alexgheseger - 6/30/08 at 9:25pm