New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Windows? - Page 7

post #61 of 94
Well I dual boot Fedora and Windows though find myself using windows. I do a lot of benchmarking and since I can't benchmark very well in linux I find myself using windows. It's a pain to reboot just for some applications...
post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Just a personal thing, I guess. I don't care much for how Ubuntu wants me to do everything with wizards, and especially how bloated the kernel is. I despise manual compiles (I used Gentoo for a year or so ) so I respect the less-bloated Debian kernels. Saves me some work getting things optimized. Probably the biggest thing is that I like uniformity, and though my sig rig would handle any of the *buntu's no problem I also use a older (P4 1.8ghz, 256mb ram, etc) laptop that would require a bit more work to get 7.10 or 8.04 up and running. I can use all the same disks with Debian, as they are all of the "minimal install" variety.

I probably sound like a ranting, Ubuntu hating idiot. But if I do, oh well. It's not intended.
It's good to hear an actual, no-BS reason. I think most Linux elitists dislike Ubuntu because it's not "hard enough". Me personally, I like easy. I don't much like spending two weeks getting my OS the way I want it. If I can get a computer from empty hard drive to a usable state in 30 minutes, I'm happy. Windows comes close, but Ubuntu has never failed me in this regard. A new major release every six months certainly sweetens the deal, too.
HP Pavilion dm1z
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Fusion E-350 Radeon HD 6310M 8GB Corsair DDR3 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 11.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
HP Pavilion dm1z
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Fusion E-350 Radeon HD 6310M 8GB Corsair DDR3 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 11.6" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 94
its the most supported.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6320 @ 3.15 p965-ds3 buncha fans 8800 gt 512 MSI copper pipes 2G 
OSMonitorPower
xp crt 19" corsair 550w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by korosu View Post
While I completely agree with your belief of "Why nonconform for the sake of being a nonconformist?", but at the same time, I disagree with your belief that any given flavor of Linux is a "less functional" OS. In many ways, Linux is more functional, though Windows does have a far broader application base. In my case, I can either run Windows 98 well, Windows 2000 kinda well, or Windows XP poorly. However, Xubuntu is far more functional and stable of an OS, and scales well enough to perform a variety of tasks on nearly any PC. Since the release of Ubuntu, hardware support has gotten much better, though video drivers still suffer in comparison to their Windows counterparts.
My apologies. I digress. For MY needs it is less functional (eg. word processing, gaming, listening to music, watching movies etc). I'm a pretty average computer user and I guess that is the audience that Windows appeals to. I'm sure there are specialized uses that Linux would be excellent for, I just don't have those uses.
post #65 of 94
Windows Vista. I have Windows XP on my backup rig (which was built as a gaming rig in '03). A large reason why I use Windows is because of Direct X. It plays the majority of computer games out there. Also, because I like the Windows interface (and I'm accustomed to it). I really enjoy Vista's interface. It is also compatible with MS Office software, which I use for school. Windows seems to work very well for me, so I'm happy in that regard.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 94
Probably because of best software compatibility.
My Savings:
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4700 @ 3.35GHz Stock vcore Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Asus EN8600GTS Silent 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB WD Cavier SE LG DVD-RAM Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit 19" AOC 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Black.. Microsoft Laser 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
My Savings:
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E4700 @ 3.35GHz Stock vcore Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Asus EN8600GTS Silent 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB WD Cavier SE LG DVD-RAM Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit 19" AOC 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Black.. Microsoft Laser 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by korosu View Post
I don't want to be "that guy", but why Debian rather than Ubuntu? I'm just curious.
Faster, more stable (least in my experience), less bloat.

But I still like Ubuntu.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
My apologies. I digress. For MY needs it is less functional (eg. word processing, gaming, listening to music, watching movies etc). I'm a pretty average computer user and I guess that is the audience that Windows appeals to. I'm sure there are specialized uses that Linux would be excellent for, I just don't have those uses.
Openoffice
WINE/PlayonLinux, native games
Amarok
VLC

Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
Damit
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 965 Black MSI 790FX-GD70 Asus ATI 5850 4x2 GBs RipJaw DDR3 1066 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
RAID 0 500 GB WD Black Lite-On Blue Ray, Samsung DVD Arch Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 25.5" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
PS2 by Compaq 750 Watt COOLER MASTER Elite RC-332-KKN1-GP Death Adder 
Mouse Pad
Custom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofGrunts View Post
Openoffice
WINE/PlayonLinux, native games
Amarok
VLC

Quite right... Besides the specific exception of games, Linux owns all of that stuff for $0.

I recommend getting XP home or vista basic for "gaming only," and Linux for everything else
post #70 of 94
1) Drivers for more modern hardware can be a problem.
2) From time to time I like to play games.
3) Application/developer support for software like Adobe CS3 for professional/personal use, music making software, coding, and software support for things like portable media players.
4) A branch from the last reason, but more support for things I can just walk in the store and buy and not even think about if it is supported or not.

Convince all the above is easily attained without a lot of frustrations then I will seriously consider moving over to the Penguin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems