Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Undecided about Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Undecided about Headphones - Page 5

post #41 of 83
I was just going to say that probably the best sub $200 headphones would be Senn HD595's. The HD50's are better, but they really need a good amp. 595's will sound good w/o an amp and great with an amp and even better with a nice recable.
580's will sound alrightish without an amp, good with a good amp, great with a great amp and fantastic with HD600 grills, a great amp and a recable. They'll scale better, but they'll cost you more...
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 83
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your suggestion soloz, but I think that it a little more than I am willing to spend...I'd like to stay around 100-150.
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 83
HD595's go for around $125 used in mint condition.
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Darkness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 Gigabye GA-EP45-UD3P EVGA GTX660 8GB G.Skill PK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 640GB & Samsung F1 750Gb LG BD & HD Windows 8 Pro x64 HP w2207 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
FILCO FKBN87M/NPEK Enermax Modu82+ 525w CM 690 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudio
Razor Destructor ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
HD595's go for around $125 used in mint condition.
You suggest I look around for Head-Fi for a pair? Do you think they are the better over the Ad700/Grado/DR150? Without an amp I will be ok?

EDIT: Some say the DR150 is on par/better than the HD595..still not sure.
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 83
Check out the Shure's and Etymotic ER-6i's
ASUS G50V
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 PM45 GeForce 9700M GT 512DDR3 4GB DDR2800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250GB 5200RPM BLURAY/SUPERMULTI WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 15.4" WSXGA+ 
PowerMouse
95W EXTERNAL LOGITECH G7 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G50V
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T9400 PM45 GeForce 9700M GT 512DDR3 4GB DDR2800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250GB 5200RPM BLURAY/SUPERMULTI WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 15.4" WSXGA+ 
PowerMouse
95W EXTERNAL LOGITECH G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 83
I agree with soloz, your best bet will probably be the hd595 for an unamped headphone. Currently I am using it's little brother the hd555, I got mines for around 70 and I have heard many good things about them especially in the professional gaming world. The AD700's are not bad, but I know that the hd555's have a wider soundstage and more people recommend them. I was actually in the same position as you last year, I was stuck between the SR-60 and the hd555's, ive never had a particular niche in audio and I listened to basically anything, I also game, mostly cs 1.6 and hearing footsteps can be very important. Once I heard the sr-60 was good for rock and had a small soundstage that totally turned me off. I felt the hd555's was the freedom I needed and now I only trust Sennheiser with all my audio. I think you should definitely get the hd555's they are audiophile headphones and they won't break your wallet, trust me you will like them.

HD555 for $75.00
Blackhole
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68 EVGA GTX 460 16GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Crucial M4 San Ace 120mm fans Windows 8 Pro Shimian QH270 Lite 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Otaku Tenkeyless Seasonic X760 Corsair Obsidian 550D Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelpad QCK Heavy Centrance DACmini 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackhole
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68 EVGA GTX 460 16GB Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Crucial M4 San Ace 120mm fans Windows 8 Pro Shimian QH270 Lite 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold Otaku Tenkeyless Seasonic X760 Corsair Obsidian 550D Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelpad QCK Heavy Centrance DACmini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3400 View Post
Check out the Shure's and Etymotic ER-6i's
IEMs lack soundstage, so he will have to get a pair of IEMs for music and a pair of headphones for gaming. NOT cost effective.

I've heard that Senns like the HD595 are more neutral, some even call them dull, but they are wonderful for classical. It really all depends on your preferences for sonic signatures. All three are great headphones
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackClocker View Post
I agree with soloz, your best bet will probably be the hd595 for an unamped headphone. Currently I am using it's little brother the hd555, I got mines for around 70 and I have heard many good things about them especially in the professional gaming world. The AD700's are not bad, but I know that the hd555's have a wider soundstage and more people recommend them. I was actually in the same position as you last year, I was stuck between the SR-60 and the hd555's, ive never had a particular niche in audio and I listened to basically anything, I also game, mostly cs 1.6 and hearing footsteps can be very important. Once I heard the sr-60 was good for rock and had a small soundstage that totally turned me off. I felt the hd555's was the freedom I needed and now I only trust Sennheiser with all my audio. I think you should definitely get the hd555's they are audiophile headphones and they won't break your wallet, trust me you will like them.

HD555 for $75.00
Thanks for your reply.

I have not heard the HD555s mentioned much in this thread yet (AD700 more). I think the AD700s are slightly better from what I have heard, still don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerc View Post
I've heard that Senns like the HD595 are more neutral, some even call them dull, but they are wonderful for classical. It really all depends on your preferences for sonic signatures. All three are great headphones
Currently, I have no preference for sound signatures because I've never listened to good headphones. I'm trying to get the best headphone for my money.
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H Sapphire 7950 Dual X G.SKILL 2400 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master Seidon 240M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
WASD Mechanical OCZ ZS 550W Fractal Arc Midi R2 Logitech G9x 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries 4HD Klispch Promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD650/Gamma2 DAC/Millet Minimax Amp 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate911 View Post
Currently, I have no preference for sound signatures because I've never listened to good headphones. I'm trying to get the best headphone for my money.
"Best" fairly subjective thing. Aside from aspects of a pair of headphones such as the build quality and sonic quality, the rest are really up to you to decide. Sonic signature is something to grow into. From what I've read, the DT770 is probably the "warmest", but also the quickest, of the three (DT770, HD595, AD700), with AD700 being the brighter of the bunch, and the HD595 being the most neutral. The soundstaging between them should be similar.If someone else can confirm or deny this, it would be great.

So I would say for your purpose, if you like bass, get the DT770. If you like tremble, get the Audio Technia. And if you prefer a more neutral sound, get the Senn. But at the price that Namrac is offering his AD700, that's kinda hard to beat.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerc View Post
"Best" fairly subjective thing. Aside from aspects of a pair of headphones such as the build quality and sonic quality, the rest are really up to you to decide. Sonic signature is something to grow into. From what I've read, the DT770 is probably the "warmest", but also the quickest, of the three (DT770, HD595, AD700), with AD700 being the brighter of the bunch, and the HD595 being the most neutral. The soundstaging between them should be similar.If someone else can confirm or deny this, it would be great.

So I would say for your purpose, if you like bass, get the DT770. If you like tremble, get the Audio Technia. And if you prefer a more neutral sound, get the Senn. But at the price that Namrac is offering his AD700, that's kinda hard to beat.
AD700's soundstage is noticeably bigger than the DT770's, and has slightly better imaging/placement. Haven't heard the HD595s much or for quite some time, but I remember the HD555's soundstage being quite impressive for the price. DT770's is more intimate and personal, makes you feel everything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Undecided about Headphones