Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PsxE]Xbox 360 DVD Too Small, Fitting GTAIV a Problem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PsxE]Xbox 360 DVD Too Small, Fitting GTAIV a Problem - Page 7

post #61 of 74
Just be happy the game is arriving and enjoy, lol - common ground for 360 and PS3 for once! Non-the-Less, I'm sure this debate must have been had between CD vs. DVD, and look at where that led us, just wait and see, because we don't actually know!
Alienware M17x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-520 Alienware M17x 2 x 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 CrossfireX 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Crucial M4 SSD 256GB DVD+/-RW (Slot Load) Windows 8 64-bit 17.0" 1920x1200 (WUXGA) Dual CCFL/8ms 
KeyboardPowerCase
Alien FX Extended Life 9 Cell 80WHr/85WHr Lithium Ion Batte Alienware Space Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware M17x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-520 Alienware M17x 2 x 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 CrossfireX 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Crucial M4 SSD 256GB DVD+/-RW (Slot Load) Windows 8 64-bit 17.0" 1920x1200 (WUXGA) Dual CCFL/8ms 
KeyboardPowerCase
Alien FX Extended Life 9 Cell 80WHr/85WHr Lithium Ion Batte Alienware Space Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post


switch to PCs and you don't have that problem

and yes i am just a PC fanboy, lol...
GTAIV isn't coming out on the PC
Silence is Golden
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8600 (OC 4.0GHz) GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P Sapphire 4870 1GB 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor in RAID0, 2x Hitachi 2TB BenQ 1655, Plextor 760A & Premium, Samsung S202N Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Lian-Li PC-V2110 Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
Lycra Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
Silence is Golden
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8600 (OC 4.0GHz) GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P Sapphire 4870 1GB 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor in RAID0, 2x Hitachi 2TB BenQ 1655, Plextor 760A & Premium, Samsung S202N Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Lian-Li PC-V2110 Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
Lycra Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
That is grossly incorrect. The fact that each polygon face has to have information as to what texture is applied to it, the position of the texture, the scale of the texture, and any additional effects not programmed into the texture as a shader, in addition to its connectivity, means it isn't as simple as a set of vertices. The most efficient way to represent a mesh (without any duplication coding) is to have a master set of nodes, each with its own coordinate, and each polygon will then reference each node in order of connectivity so that the proper face direction can be drawn. It isn't as simple as you would like to believe. I could go into how I know this and even show you maps I've created or software I've written for my thesis that proves what I say is true, but somehow the other two geniuses will bend what is said to suit their own needs so it's not worth it.

Regardless of what you all say, if it could be fit onto a single DVD there is no reason not to do it, so they wouldn't be complaining about it. If you think it can be done, then show us all how or shut your cake holes. Simply saying it can be done when you clearly have little-to-no idea what you are talking about has no merit.


This is you. Nothing more than a pseudo-intellectual, filled with rage, thinking he is right and no one else is. Furthermore, you act like a complete ass in the process of trying to demonstrate your supposed "intellectual superiority" to others.

Grossly incorrect huh? Does your use of unnecessary adverbs make you feel tough? I happen to know for a fact, having worked with several game engines myself, that vertex data as well as texture position, orientation and scale take up far less space than the actual texture itself. It's all text - and text does not take up much space at all. The texture library is going to be by far the largest user of disk space, followed by audio, and then followed by textual information such as scripts, vertex data, and texture data.

I'm sorry, but you are "superfluously" incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruboy View Post
This is totally out of hand. I could quote a lot of people but I'm just going to ask two questions, mostly to edeekeos hrnygoat, and xdaseinx.

1) Do you literally believe that Mr. Houser wasn't telling the truth when he said straight-up in the interview that the size limitation of the DVD9 for the Xbox 360 version of GTA4 caused problems?
For one, he did not say how much of a problem it caused. It could have been a relatively minor issue. But the fact is that it is on a single disk now, and all it took was a little more work to get it on there. In no way does it necessitate Blu-Ray for this generation of consoles.
Quote:
2) Do you actually think that you have more knowledge and expertise than companies like Rockstar and Konami when it comes to writing a video game and fitting it onto the media that's available?
All knowledge is relative. I know a lot of these companies will often hire people straight out of high school, with no college education. Furthermore, it all depends on the quality of their education. They could have been taught to code without anything on optimizing for space, for example. You'd be surprised at how little some of these people actually know. Simply having a title doesn't mean anything in the real world.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 74
When you're streaming textures off a disc, they can't be as compressed because the CPU is already hard at work doing stuff. When you're on a PC, they can compress the textures to a much higher degree vs. consoles. If you look at an installed copy of Oblivion, it's like 6+ GB, and when you install the high-res mods and stuff, it approaches ten GB.

Bam, now you're over the size of a DVD9.
FX Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Sapphire R9 380 4GB 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 240GB SSD HGST 4TB Storage DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 AOC 27" 1080p Corsair CX750m Corsair 200R 
Audio
Asus Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
FX Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Sapphire R9 380 4GB 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 240GB SSD HGST 4TB Storage DVD-RW Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 AOC 27" 1080p Corsair CX750m Corsair 200R 
Audio
Asus Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekt View Post
When you're streaming textures off a disc, they can't be as compressed because the CPU is already hard at work doing stuff. When you're on a PC, they can compress the textures to a much higher degree vs. consoles. If you look at an installed copy of Oblivion, it's like 6+ GB, and when you install the high-res mods and stuff, it approaches ten GB.

Bam, now you're over the size of a DVD9.
What are you talking about? My install folder of Oblivion is only around 4.5GB.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post


This is you. Nothing more than a pseudo-intellectual, filled with rage, thinking he is right and no one else is. Furthermore, you act like a complete ass in the process of trying to demonstrate your supposed "intellectual superiority" to others.

Grossly incorrect huh? Does your use of unnecessary adverbs make you feel tough? I happen to know for a fact, having worked with several game engines myself, that vertex data as well as texture position, orientation and scale take up far less space than the actual texture itself. It's all text - and text does not take up much space at all. The texture library is going to be by far the largest user of disk space, followed by audio, and then followed by textual information such as scripts, vertex data, and texture data.

I'm sorry, but you are "superfluously" incorrect.
I figured it was a nicer way of putting that you were wrong, and it is by no means a big word. But I can see you have your head as far up your own rear as the others that you have to turn everything around to make an argument. I apologize for using words you had to look up! I'll try to dumb down any conversation for you in the future to help you out. Typical response, too, with your hypocritical attitude. I wasn't demonstrating any intellectual superiority - I played along with what eek said in one post so don't get too excited.

And even if I concede the issue regarding textures (which is based upon a misunderstanding anyway since I was referring to textures being able to be reused to create a different environment and not texture sizes themselves), you were still wrong in your blanket statement about what constitutes a mesh. And anyone who has done mapping and seen what changes the size of the file can have a justified point of view in this discussion.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
I figured it was a nicer way of putting that you were wrong, and it is by no means a big word. But I can see you have your head as far up your own rear as the others that you have to turn everything around to make an argument. I apologize for using words you had to look up! I'll try to dumb down any conversation for you in the future to help you out. Typical response, too, with your hypocritical attitude. I wasn't demonstrating any intellectual superiority - I played along with what eek said in one post so don't get too excited.

And even if I concede the issue regarding textures (which is based upon a misunderstanding anyway since I was referring to textures being able to be reused to create a different environment and not texture sizes themselves), you were still wrong in your blanket statement about what constitutes a mesh. And anyone who has done mapping and seen what changes the size of the file can have a justified point of view in this discussion.
I was going after you not just because of what you are saying to me, but the other members as well. If you can't argue in a polite manner with anyone, I certainly won't argue in a polite manner toward you. That being said, don't just blindly assume I haven't done any mapping. I've been mapping since I started with the HL1 engine 9 years ago - probably longer than you have. Your argument may hold some merit, however, in the fact that it all depends on the configuration of the map. If it is a large, complex map, using only a few textures, of course the associated mesh data will be larger. On the contrary, if you use a large number of different textures in that map, the texture size will quickly exceed the size of the mesh data.

One of the most important things in making and distributing a game map is ensuring that it is of a reasonable size. In doing so, I've found that reducing the size of the associated texture library is the most effective way to reduce the size of a map - that is considering that your map is using custom textures and not the game's default texture library, in which case the textures themselves would not add anything to the size of the map.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 74
Lmao
I gave rep to the wrong person, lol.
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaseinx View Post
Lmao
I gave rep to the wrong person, lol.
and i like midgets but you dont see me tellin any one. lol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
and i like midgets but you dont see me tellin any one. lol
LOL
umm why midgets? Umm nv, I don't wanna know
You just did btw
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Box 3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 920 4GHz 1.248 VCore Gig EX58-UD3R 5870 2x160GB Hitachi RAID 0, 500GB WD 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DRW-2014L1T Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SilverStone Zeus 850w Antec 902 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PsxE]Xbox 360 DVD Too Small, Fitting GTAIV a Problem