Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anand]AMD Fighting 2 Cores with 3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Anand]AMD Fighting 2 Cores with 3? - Page 3

post #21 of 35
I'm sticking to Athlonx2 for a while to come if they can't do better then this, or even their last generation.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
I think you should rethink your positions here. IBM has been slowly becoming less and less of a hardware company, and more and more a partner/R&D company. They're also not going to sell operating systems any time soon to consumers. AMD and Intel chips are 64bit capable, so, by your logic, we should already have seen the 64bit revolution. In fact, I'm running 64bit Vista, and 64bit ubuntu. How could IBM "force" 64bit OS's into the mainstream? AMD's architecture is fine, it just wasn't designed to be a huge jump from k8. Sure it does outperform K8 sometimes more than 30% per core, but it is an increase. The issue is the manufacturing of the chip, which is very complex...so, IBM's manufacturing expertise is exactly what they need.
In reality though, the only reason why AMD looks bad at this point is because they're behind Intel as far as the release of Phenom vs release of the Core2. People tend to forget that the Core2's have been consistently upgraded. The FSB was increased (if i'm using the term right, I'm not that much of a computer guy), they were shrunk from 65nm to 45nm which allowed to become overclocking monsters and the high-K process was introduced.

I mean, if we had a core2 that was from the original release and compared it to a phenom now, would there really be much difference?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
In reality though, the only reason why AMD looks bad at this point is because they're behind Intel as far as the release of Phenom vs release of the Core2. People tend to forget that the Core2's have been consistently upgraded. The FSB was increased (if i'm using the term right, I'm not that much of a computer guy), they were shrunk from 65nm to 45nm which allowed to become overclocking monsters and the high-K process was introduced.

I mean, if we had a core2 that was from the original release and compared it to a phenom now, would there really be much difference?
well last time i checked, with technology the whole point is to have better stuff out faster and earlier. So it's not intel's fault that AMD can't keep up. Intel was doing the smart thing and trying everything they could(putting two dies on one chip) and it worked out for them AMD decided that only true quads are the way to go. But being so "true" has screwed them over in terms of sales and development.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 Intel DP45SG Visiontek HD 4870 2x2GB DDR3 1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320 Western Digital + 1TB Black Caviar WD Samsung Sata vista ultimate x64/Windows 7 Ultimate 64x Samsung T220 22 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dynex(Temp until G15) BFG 800 Watt Antec 900 Logitech G5 Gaming mouse 
Mouse Pad
Commando(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 35
I think that it's important to note how much freakin power the phenom consumes... it's like AMDs version of Intels Netburst architecture.
post #25 of 35
Once more we find ourselves in the midst of an overused analogy involving chickens and eggs!

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
well last time i checked, with technology the whole point is to have better stuff out faster and earlier. So it's not intel's fault that AMD can't keep up. Intel was doing the smart thing and trying everything they could(putting two dies on one chip) and it worked out for them AMD decided that only true quads are the way to go. But being so "true" has screwed them over in terms of sales and development.
Actually, anti-trust lawsuit considered, it is intel's fault AMD couldn't keep up.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
I think that it's important to note how much freakin power the phenom consumes... it's like AMDs version of Intels Netburst architecture.
when you consider the fact that it is 65nm instead of intel's 45nm and that it is 4 cores, it is not that bad for power consumption. Although it is higher than Intel's current chips.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 35
AMD/ATI are going down the drain. THE CPU's are ok, but the graphics cards have more issues and driver issues then the full Los Angeles Times issue since 1989 ...

Their a joke trying to make the consumer happy. Whats this 3800 X2 Stuff, a board trying to compete. nVidia and Intel will always be first to bring new techie without any problems,

ATI/AMD is second place. Plus they joined together soo they can build mobo and integraed video card and stuff all in one bang. Computers that are for peep that go to Costco or Frys or wherever to buy their PC. ,,,, Just the fact this concentration on a one bang solution is making them fall off on the concentration that should be applied towards top notch peep like the gurus here. Right now its not.. They keep coming out with chipsets and supposed fast integrated graphics, while they release half azzed cards. Remember the 2900XT flop !!!! lololol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO @ 3760 Mhz@1.504v 0.0 vdrop ASUS P5K @ 1880 Mhz FSB @1.7v Pencil Voltmod 470x8 EVGA 8800 GT SC @740/1850/1085 Mhz@1.1v G.SKILL PC8000 8GB 2GBx4@ 940 Mhz@2.10v@5-5-4-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Tt iCage SATA WDC 320GB & 120GB Barracuda 80GB Memorex External DVD RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM 7600 24" Sony FW900@ 2304x1440@80hz/23"Dell W2300 HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula with Battle Light Tt ToughPower Modularized Cable Managment@700w Black Full Tt Big WaterSE Tt P500 Pump & TMG2 Rad Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Razer 3M Precise Mousing Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 GO @ 3760 Mhz@1.504v 0.0 vdrop ASUS P5K @ 1880 Mhz FSB @1.7v Pencil Voltmod 470x8 EVGA 8800 GT SC @740/1850/1085 Mhz@1.1v G.SKILL PC8000 8GB 2GBx4@ 940 Mhz@2.10v@5-5-4-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Tt iCage SATA WDC 320GB & 120GB Barracuda 80GB Memorex External DVD RAM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM 7600 24" Sony FW900@ 2304x1440@80hz/23"Dell W2300 HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula with Battle Light Tt ToughPower Modularized Cable Managment@700w Black Full Tt Big WaterSE Tt P500 Pump & TMG2 Rad Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Razer 3M Precise Mousing Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
AMD/ATI are going down the drain. THE CPU's are ok, but the graphics cards have more issues and driver issues then the full Los Angeles Times issue since 1989 ...

Their a joke trying to make the consumer happy. Whats this 3800 X2 Stuff, a board trying to compete. nVidia and Intel will always be first to bring new techie without any problems,

ATI/AMD is second place. Plus they joined together soo they can build mobo and integraed video card and stuff all in one bang. Computers that are for peep that go to Costco or Frys or wherever to buy their PC. ,,,, Just the fact this concentration on a one bang solution is making them fall off on the concentration that should be applied towards top notch peep like the gurus here. Right now its not.. They keep coming out with chipsets and supposed fast integrated graphics, while they release half azzed cards. Remember the 2900XT flop !!!! lololol
Why are people in this site so allergic to making money? There just aren't enough enthusiasts to keep a company like AMD afloat if they make chips with enthusiasts in mind. They have no choice but to cater to pre-built customers. Deal with it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 35
Anyone else see how the duals were OC'ed and the tri-core was left at stock? (i think.)

EDIT: nvm, im just being special today...
Project 2K
(15 items)
 
Callisto
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570K P8Z77-V PRO MSI R7970 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
840 PRO 128 GBytes LG Blu-Ray Combo Custom WC loop Win7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 21.5" LED CM Storm Trigger 650 Watt SeaSonic  Fractal R4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G700 Rosewill pad Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 9600 GT 4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB Seagate, 1TB WD Lite-ON Win 7 19" viewsonic HDTV 1080i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 650W Crosair Antec 1200 Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Belkin 
  hide details  
Reply
Project 2K
(15 items)
 
Callisto
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 3570K P8Z77-V PRO MSI R7970 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
840 PRO 128 GBytes LG Blu-Ray Combo Custom WC loop Win7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 21.5" LED CM Storm Trigger 650 Watt SeaSonic  Fractal R4 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G700 Rosewill pad Z623 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 9600 GT 4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB Seagate, 1TB WD Lite-ON Win 7 19" viewsonic HDTV 1080i 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 650W Crosair Antec 1200 Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
Belkin 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Anand]AMD Fighting 2 Cores with 3?