Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › SSC vs Non-SSC? (9800 gtx)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SSC vs Non-SSC? (9800 gtx) - Page 2

post #11 of 19
2x8800gts 512 would be nice but 2 dual slot coolers, imho, is too much. for sli i think single slot 8800GT's would be better, but then again ive never had SLI so i may be wrong.
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge i5 @ 3.8ghz Asrock Z77 Pro3 EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler G. Skill Sniper 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
90GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2TB HGST Deskstar 7K4000 Samsung 24x DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW Logitech K360 Antec True Power Trio 550W Antec 300 Illusion 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700 none 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge i5 @ 3.8ghz Asrock Z77 Pro3 EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler G. Skill Sniper 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
90GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD + 2TB HGST Deskstar 7K4000 Samsung 24x DVD RW Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW Logitech K360 Antec True Power Trio 550W Antec 300 Illusion 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700 none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
hey TehPLayerer,
I am going from 7600gs(that I had and replaced with a 9600gt, which i am giving to my wife to replacer her 7600gs) to a 9800gtx too, the main reason I am not going with the 8800gts is because I never had one and if they perform close to the same I am fine paying more for the simple fact, I am looking at it as a deposit on my GT200 or next gen coming in july. it will be easier to go ahead a pay the 600-699 for sli of 9800 then step up and pay the extra 100, 200 or what ever it would be to step up. I am timing it so that my step up 90days allows for a few weeks so that if they get pushed back a little then I am fine. So we are both trying to figure out which to get a ssc or non ssc.
Darkshadow74
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k 4.5ghz 1.246v Malay L311B203 GigaByte OC Force MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2400 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1t Barracuda and a 250g Samsung 840 SSD SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM Water Cooling Win7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor Razor Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Mountain Mods Ascension 
Mouse
WOW mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k 4.5ghz 1.246v Malay L311B203 GigaByte OC Force MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2400 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1t Barracuda and a 250g Samsung 840 SSD SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM Water Cooling Win7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor Razor Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Mountain Mods Ascension 
Mouse
WOW mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow74 View Post
hey TehPLayerer,
I am going from 7600gs(that I had and replaced with a 9600gt, which i am giving to my wife to replacer her 7600gs) to a 9800gtx too, the main reason I am not going with the 8800gts is because I never had one and if they perform close to the same I am fine paying more for the simple fact, I am looking at it as a deposit on my GT200 or next gen coming in july. it will be easier to go ahead a pay the 600-699 for sli of 9800 then step up and pay the extra 100, 200 or what ever it would be to step up. I am timing it so that my step up 90days allows for a few weeks so that if they get pushed back a little then I am fine. So we are both trying to figure out which to get a ssc or non ssc.
Darkshadow74
That is pretty much the exact situation I am in.
Only I am only getting one card in case I get screwed on the step up. (as a rumor of a july release most likely translates to a q4 release). And that way if I don't like the gt200s when they come out, I could just grab another gtx (or two).


Also: People have said that the ssc works better because it has a higher voltage, and not anything about there actually being better quality chips inside of it. If you get the ssc bios (like I have heard some people talk about), would it up the voltage to ssc levels?
Tenspeed
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 Evga 790i (p04) Evga 9800GTX (2x2)gb OCZ DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
(2) 10k 150GB WD Raptors Raid 0 and (1) 500 GB WD (2) Samsung XP 32/Vista 32 Samsung 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 Silverstone Olympia 1000W Lian Li v2110 Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
Tenspeed
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX9650 Evga 790i (p04) Evga 9800GTX (2x2)gb OCZ DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
(2) 10k 150GB WD Raptors Raid 0 and (1) 500 GB WD (2) Samsung XP 32/Vista 32 Samsung 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g15 Silverstone Olympia 1000W Lian Li v2110 Logitech g5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehPLayerer View Post
That is pretty much the exact situation I am in.
Only I am only getting one card in case I get screwed on the step up. (as a rumor of a july release most likely translates to a q4 release). And that way if I don't like the gt200s when they come out, I could just grab another gtx (or two).


Also: People have said that the ssc works better because it has a higher voltage, and not anything about there actually being better quality chips inside of it. If you get the ssc bios (like I have heard some people talk about), would it up the voltage to ssc levels?
Yup. Which is why I bought the vanillas. My card can handle the clocks, and it will definitely give me some more room to clock more once the SSC bios kicks in.

Look at it this way, do the work yourself, save some money. Let manufacturer do it, pay a bit more.
My system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.48v eVGA 680i SLI A1 voltmodded 2 x eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor, 500 Barracuda, 160GB Barracuda Lite-On DVD-RW dual boot XP32/Vista32 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
eMachines Generic Antec TruPower Trio 650W Antec 900 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.48v eVGA 680i SLI A1 voltmodded 2 x eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor, 500 Barracuda, 160GB Barracuda Lite-On DVD-RW dual boot XP32/Vista32 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
eMachines Generic Antec TruPower Trio 650W Antec 900 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
how hard is it to flash the bios on a vcard? and what would you need?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k 4.5ghz 1.246v Malay L311B203 GigaByte OC Force MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2400 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1t Barracuda and a 250g Samsung 840 SSD SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM Water Cooling Win7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor Razor Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Mountain Mods Ascension 
Mouse
WOW mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k 4.5ghz 1.246v Malay L311B203 GigaByte OC Force MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 2400 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1t Barracuda and a 250g Samsung 840 SSD SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM Water Cooling Win7 Home Premium 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 24" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor Razor Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w Mountain Mods Ascension 
Mouse
WOW mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/3202...sli-bench.html

His SSC's are doing a lot better than most vanillas I see around... Including mine.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow74 View Post
how hard is it to flash the bios on a vcard? and what would you need?
It's Pretty risky, but you would need a floppy drive, or a bootable cd/usb key and two programs: NiBiTor (nVidia Bios Editor) and the latest version of nvflash. In a nutshell, you'd create your bootable floppy/cd/usb, load nvflash on the bootable, copy your new bios onto the bootable, and use the nvflash commands to flash the bios.

People flash for a couple reasons:
1. To edit their bios to boot at higher clocks, so they don't have to rely on RivaTuner, to change fan speed, and change voltages (but there are people who say doing the 1.1v volt mod doesn't work).
2. To upgrade their bios to an SSC bios, or KO etc. These bios generally have looser timings for RAM, and higher voltages set to allow for higher clock speeds. Of course, your card must be capable of hitting SSC/KO/etc clocks before you flash.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I know about flashing the bios of your card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/3202...sli-bench.html

His SSC's are doing a lot better than most vanillas I see around... Including mine.
Exactly what are his clocks? I wasn't able to see them. Surely I'll be able to hit his clocks with an SSC bios
My system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.48v eVGA 680i SLI A1 voltmodded 2 x eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor, 500 Barracuda, 160GB Barracuda Lite-On DVD-RW dual boot XP32/Vista32 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
eMachines Generic Antec TruPower Trio 650W Antec 900 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.48v eVGA 680i SLI A1 voltmodded 2 x eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor, 500 Barracuda, 160GB Barracuda Lite-On DVD-RW dual boot XP32/Vista32 Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
eMachines Generic Antec TruPower Trio 650W Antec 900 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon3crush2 View Post
It's Pretty risky, but you would need a floppy drive, or a bootable cd/usb key and two programs: NiBiTor (nVidia Bios Editor) and the latest version of nvflash. In a nutshell, you'd create your bootable floppy/cd/usb, load nvflash on the bootable, copy your new bios onto the bootable, and use the nvflash commands to flash the bios.

People flash for a couple reasons:
1. To edit their bios to boot at higher clocks, so they don't have to rely on RivaTuner, to change fan speed, and change voltages (but there are people who say doing the 1.1v volt mod doesn't work).
2. To upgrade their bios to an SSC bios, or KO etc. These bios generally have looser timings for RAM, and higher voltages set to allow for higher clock speeds. Of course, your card must be capable of hitting SSC/KO/etc clocks before you flash.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I know about flashing the bios of your card.



Exactly what are his clocks? I wasn't able to see them. Surely I'll be able to hit his clocks with an SSC bios


Though I have passed all his clocks expect the shader.

The SM scores in my link below are actually higher though. He only got me on his single card run because of the Q6600.
post #19 of 19
Hey guys

New here, I have just finished building up my build,

Q6700 with Tuniq Tower T120
XFX 780i Sli
2x EVGA 9800GTX
2x2gb OCZ Reaper X HPC
Corsair CMPSU 750W
Segate 250Gb HDD 7200Rpm Sata 2,32mb Cache
Samsung 22" WSXGA 1680x1050 216BW
Thermaltake Soprano RS101

and i'm getting 2 evga 9800 gtx's hoping to step up when gt200 comes, I was also thinking to get the ssc editions, but I keep hearing abt the vanilla editions, what are these vanilla editions and from where can we get them from? I got mine from tiger direct and I'm sure these are just regular cards, though I got a sweet deal for 2 of them for $540, anyway some explaination abt these cards will surely help.

thx
Max'ed Out!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5Ghz 24/7 Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z 2x MSI TwinFrozr II 6950 4 x 2Gb Kingston 1600 C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 Raid 0 BD +/- RW Windows 7 HP x64 LG 26" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G18 Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800D SteelSeries Ikari Optical 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
Max'ed Out!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 5Ghz 24/7 Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z 2x MSI TwinFrozr II 6950 4 x 2Gb Kingston 1600 C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 Raid 0 BD +/- RW Windows 7 HP x64 LG 26" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G18 Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 800D SteelSeries Ikari Optical 
Mouse Pad
SteelSeries 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › SSC vs Non-SSC? (9800 gtx)