Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › >> Q9300 Club <<
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

>> Q9300 Club << - Page 40

post #391 of 810
Update for a stable 3.0Ghz@1.168v.

Although I did see that CPU-Z is showing my RAM as DDR3 for some odd reason. Not sure why as I'm using DDR2-800, but I guess it doesn't matter much anyway.

Also, would anyone have any idea why cores 0 and 2 are almost always reading 5-7C higher than 1 and 3. Very odd although none are higher than 61C at full load.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300@3.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 VistionTek HD4870@810/1100 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 800@1025 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor, 640GB Caviar ASUS Windows Vista 32bit Acer 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ EliteXStream 800W Antec Twelve Hundred Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300@3.2Ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 VistionTek HD4870@810/1100 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 800@1025 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor, 640GB Caviar ASUS Windows Vista 32bit Acer 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ EliteXStream 800W Antec Twelve Hundred Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #392 of 810
Quote:
Also, would anyone have any idea why cores 0 and 2 are almost always reading 5-7C higher than 1 and 3.
I think it has something to do with the sensors not designed to measure idle or low temps and only calibrated for higher temps to gauge shutdown or something. My 1 and 3 are 5-7 higher too even after lapping but once the temp gets to 64C and up all four are within 2C of each other.
45nm Quad
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300 3.3 (Lapped) DFI LP DK X38-T2R 2 Visiontek 3870s 2x2GB GSkill ddr2 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250gb WD & 640gb WD Arch x86_64, Windows 7 Dell 3007WFP-HC Corsair 750 
Case
Some Cardboard boxes 
  hide details  
Reply
45nm Quad
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300 3.3 (Lapped) DFI LP DK X38-T2R 2 Visiontek 3870s 2x2GB GSkill ddr2 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250gb WD & 640gb WD Arch x86_64, Windows 7 Dell 3007WFP-HC Corsair 750 
Case
Some Cardboard boxes 
  hide details  
Reply
post #393 of 810
well i've spent time researching... getting the right setup. and heres my results ... SO FAR... water cooling is coming in 3 days.





i am on a aftermarket copper butterfly heatsink and fan.


I have two ATi HD 4870 vid cards.

heres my 3dmark 06 results, over 20k+
http://service.futuremark.com/home.a...&resultType=14



I am still going higher on air here and going to try to score higher on 3d mark and push this cpu to the limit on air, going for 3.7 now in the next 20 minutes. Im at 40c right now. on load 44c.


i bought a E8500 (so im going to take this Q9300 setup as far as i can, then put in my new E8500 and push it to the max and compare results.) i can keep you guys update with my progress if you want.
My Poooter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4.3 GHz x48 ASUS RAMPAGE Crossfire 2x HD 4870 4GB 1066 
Hard DriveOSPower
76GB Raptor 10k Windows Vista x64 Ultimate 1000W Ultra X3 
  hide details  
Reply
My Poooter
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4.3 GHz x48 ASUS RAMPAGE Crossfire 2x HD 4870 4GB 1066 
Hard DriveOSPower
76GB Raptor 10k Windows Vista x64 Ultimate 1000W Ultra X3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #394 of 810
Wow very nice OC you have there. I am running at 3.0Ghz right now and I am on stock cooling. I am waiting for my HSF backplate to get here. I accidently left it on my MB when I traded it so I am waiting for the mail man like everyday lol. My Vcore is a mere 1.25 but I could go lower possibly I never actually tried anything less. My VID is 1.225 but. I imagine that it could take less. Temps reach a maximum of 66C on this intel HSF that came with my E6600 lol.
BloodRed i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Foxconn Bloodrage ATI HD5870 6GB OCZ i7 Certified 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TBx2 Lite-on 20x DVD burner Windows 7 Ult x64 Samsung 2494HM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Zalman 850w ZM850-HP CM Stacker 830 G500 Razor XactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
BloodRed i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Foxconn Bloodrage ATI HD5870 6GB OCZ i7 Certified 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TBx2 Lite-on 20x DVD burner Windows 7 Ult x64 Samsung 2494HM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Zalman 850w ZM850-HP CM Stacker 830 G500 Razor XactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #395 of 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrahc View Post
well i've spent time researching... getting the right setup. and heres my results ... SO FAR... water cooling is coming in 3 days.





i am on a aftermarket copper butterfly heatsink and fan.


I have two ATi HD 4870 vid cards.

heres my 3dmark 06 results, over 20k+
http://service.futuremark.com/home.a...&resultType=14



I am still going higher on air here and going to try to score higher on 3d mark and push this cpu to the limit on air, going for 3.7 now in the next 20 minutes. Im at 40c right now. on load 44c.


i bought a E8500 (so im going to take this Q9300 setup as far as i can, then put in my new E8500 and push it to the max and compare results.) i can keep you guys update with my progress if you want.
hi

care to share your bios setting as i have the same setup with you however i have alot unstable like hanging problems. currently i on the stock setup with water cool system.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6Ghz 1.35v Asus STRIKER II FORMULA Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 4x2GB Corsair Dominator SDRAM PC2-6 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
westen digital Raptor SATA 10K 150GB Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Hewlett Packard HP w1907 - 19 inches SilverStone 850W PS Modular ST85ZF 
Case
Cooler Master Stacker 830SE 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6Ghz 1.35v Asus STRIKER II FORMULA Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 4x2GB Corsair Dominator SDRAM PC2-6 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
westen digital Raptor SATA 10K 150GB Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6001 Hewlett Packard HP w1907 - 19 inches SilverStone 850W PS Modular ST85ZF 
Case
Cooler Master Stacker 830SE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #396 of 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitzamen View Post
I have the same VID as you and mine is capable of 3.2ghz at 1.314v showing at idle (1.26 load). When you set in bios what do you see in windows?
Edit: Also check your memory timings and settings. Several straps on my board do not work with my memory b/c it tries to run it much faster then needed.

Hmm, last night it was a couple of degrees cooler in my room and it was stable at 1.286vcore in bios, showing as 1.216 under load in cpu-z occasionally rising to 1.232.

Memory is running at rated speed, 4,4,4,15@800MHz vdimm set at +0.3 in bios showing as 2.13 in hwmonitor.

I think now though I'm not going to push for faster speeds because my temps are high. I've got a coolermaster sphere hsf, which looks good but has crap reviews. Load temps are 69,67,67,67 in realtemp.
Leviathan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300@3GHz Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L XFX 8800GS XXX Alpha Dog 2*2gb OCZ reaper 800mhz 4,4,4,15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
1x seagate 320gb, 1x maxtor 320gb, 1x maxtor 300gb LG sata dvd-rw Ubuntu x64 + Vista x64 Hiper Type-M 580w 
Case
Coolermaster Elite 330 black w/window 
  hide details  
Reply
Leviathan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9300@3GHz Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L XFX 8800GS XXX Alpha Dog 2*2gb OCZ reaper 800mhz 4,4,4,15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
1x seagate 320gb, 1x maxtor 320gb, 1x maxtor 300gb LG sata dvd-rw Ubuntu x64 + Vista x64 Hiper Type-M 580w 
Case
Coolermaster Elite 330 black w/window 
  hide details  
Reply
post #397 of 810
I'm having issues with my Q9300 and hoped some of your enlightened overclockers could help me out. I was originally overclocking to 3.0Ghz at 1.275V and my CPU was too hot to continue at 2m56s (68/64/56/56), so I decided to run a baseline at stock before continuing, and got almost identical results around the same time mark, although it ran stable.

This morning I decided to re-seat the heatsink (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro) using Antec Formula 5, which is essentially the same as AS5, and I followed the directions very very carefully. Before re-seating, idle temps were 56/53/44/44, and after they were 56/54/44/44, so only slightly hotter, but OCCT shut down at the 1m8s mark, just 8 secs into the actual test, because the CPU was too hot with Core0 at 70C. Granted, it hasn't had time to set yet.

What really worries me is I'm constantly getting a 12-13C difference between cores, which I can't imagine is normal. Furthermore, I would have though temperatures on a 45nm chip would be considerably less than that. Is it possible that the chip is bad? What do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks a lot in advance! -Chad
post #398 of 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by okamico View Post
I'm having issues with my Q9300 and hoped some of your enlightened overclockers could help me out. I was originally overclocking to 3.0Ghz at 1.275V and my CPU was too hot to continue at 2m56s (68/64/56/56), so I decided to run a baseline at stock before continuing, and got almost identical results around the same time mark, although it ran stable.

This morning I decided to re-seat the heatsink (Arctic Freezer 7 Pro) using Antec Formula 5, which is essentially the same as AS5, and I followed the directions very very carefully. Before re-seating, idle temps were 56/53/44/44, and after they were 56/54/44/44, so only slightly hotter, but OCCT shut down at the 1m8s mark, just 8 secs into the actual test, because the CPU was too hot with Core0 at 70C. Granted, it hasn't had time to set yet.

What really worries me is I'm constantly getting a 12-13C difference between cores, which I can't imagine is normal. Furthermore, I would have though temperatures on a 45nm chip would be considerably less than that. Is it possible that the chip is bad? What do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks a lot in advance! -Chad
You may have a faulty chip. I did a little googling about the sensors when I got my chip and found that quite a few people had faulty sensors that showed either no movement or way too much movement. Are you using RealTEmp? If you test the sensors and get a lot of movement you may want to RMA the chip. I had to reseat my Zalman 9700 twice and try a few different thermal pastes until I decided that idle temps meant nothing to me and am only worried about temps under load and distance to TJ max. Good luck and cheers.
Tallboy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel q9300 evga 780i geforce 9600 gt crucial ballistix pc2-6400 1gbx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd raptor 36 gig lg super multi Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit viewsonic 20inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
microsoft ergonomic Corsair 620w modular Antec P-182 logitech g5 
Mouse Pad
steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Tallboy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel q9300 evga 780i geforce 9600 gt crucial ballistix pc2-6400 1gbx4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd raptor 36 gig lg super multi Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit viewsonic 20inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
microsoft ergonomic Corsair 620w modular Antec P-182 logitech g5 
Mouse Pad
steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #399 of 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfourbits View Post
You may have a faulty chip. I did a little googling about the sensors when I got my chip and found that quite a few people had faulty sensors that showed either no movement or way too much movement. Are you using RealTEmp? If you test the sensors and get a lot of movement you may want to RMA the chip. I had to reseat my Zalman 9700 twice and try a few different thermal pastes until I decided that idle temps meant nothing to me and am only worried about temps under load and distance to TJ max. Good luck and cheers.
Thanks for your input. I actually called up Intel and they said the only temperature that mattered was what the BIOS showed as the overall temperature and that from what I told him, there is nothing wrong. My reply was, "so if my computer goes under load, becomes unstable and crashes because the CPU is too hot, then nothing's wrong?" He agreed to replace it, which I'm going to do if I can't find any satisfactory results after a few more tests. I really just want to be 100% sure there's something wrong with the chip before bothering with an RMA...
post #400 of 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by okamico View Post
Thanks for your input. I actually called up Intel and they said the only temperature that mattered was what the BIOS showed as the overall temperature and that from what I told him, there is nothing wrong. My reply was, "so if my computer goes under load, becomes unstable and crashes because the CPU is too hot, then nothing's wrong?" He agreed to replace it, which I'm going to do if I can't find any satisfactory results after a few more tests. I really just want to be 100% sure there's something wrong with the chip before bothering with an RMA...
Hey guys, I just wanted to post a follow up on my progress.

I reseated my H/S, using a thin, even glaze over the entire chip rather than the AS5 recommended line across the chip, and that actually reduced the temperature very slightly, but it was able to complete a stable 1 hr OCCT run.

After a little research, I became a little less concerned with the differences in core temperatures, figuring the sensors may not be very accurate. Evidently Intel sensors are not accurate at idle, but I they don't necessarily equalize much under heavy load either. I also learned that OCCT *thinks* the TJ Max temp is 105 rather than 95, so a few people recommended changing the "max cpu temperature" to 80 rather than the default 70 to compensate for this discrepancy. So I did that and decided to experiment a little.

I ended up overclocking up to 400 FSB (3.0GHz) with 1.275 CPU Voltage and 1.96 RAM Voltage set in BIOS. Well, it didn't like that, so I researched a little more and finally disabled "Spread Spectrum". Now it actually ran stable for the full 1 hour auto test in OCCT with the hottest core not quite hitting 71C (distance to TJ Max would then be just under 34C). There was, however, a 10C difference between some cores under heavy load, and slightly more under light load.

I might play a little more and see what I come up with. If anyone sees anything bad with the above, please stop me.
Edited by okamico - 8/1/08 at 5:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › >> Q9300 Club <<