Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › 2xFans for CoolerMaster Gemin II CPU Cooler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2xFans for CoolerMaster Gemin II CPU Cooler

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi, everybody!

in my setup
1. CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3,0GHz, 6Mb, 1333MHz Socket-775 OEM
2. MB ASUS STRIKER II Formula, Socket 775
3. 2xDIMM 2048Mb PC2-8500(1066Mhz) Geil EVO ONE (GE24GB1066C5DC)
5-5-5-15
4. 512Mb PCI-E GeForce 8800GTS DDR3, TV, 2xDVI, XFX
XXX(PV-T88G-YDD4), retail
5. 512Mb PCI-E GeForce 8800GTS DDR3, TV, 2xDVI, XFX
XXX(PV-T88G-YDD4), retail
6. Cooler Master CM 690 w/o PSU (RC-690-KKN1)
7. FSP Epsilon 700w / Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 750W

I wanna use Gemin II!

The Gemin II dont only cool the CPU, but many of the other motherboard components around the CPU, like the capacitor and RAM. It uses two 120mm fans (not included)

so I need fans.

Will be Noctua NF-S12 120mm fans good?
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Noctua_NFS-12/index.shtml


and help me pls with fan control in CM 690. which 120mm fans to setup?

Front :120 mm Blue LED fan x 1, 1200 rpm, 21 dBA,
Rear : 120 mm standard fan, 1200 rpm, 21 dBA,
Top : 120 or 140 mm fan x 2 (optional),
Bottom : 120 mm fan x 1 (optional),
Left: 120mm fan x 2 (one is optional)-up to 140mm fans


THX very much guys for your input and advices!
post #2 of 9
scythe ultra kaze 87cfm or scythe slip stream 110cfm
Coeus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 940 Msi 970a-g46 2x xfx 7970 G Skill NQ PC1333 4x2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.9 160gb need Windows 10 64bit Sharp 32inch 
Power
Thermaltake 1350 
  hide details  
Reply
Coeus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 940 Msi 970a-g46 2x xfx 7970 G Skill NQ PC1333 4x2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.9 160gb need Windows 10 64bit Sharp 32inch 
Power
Thermaltake 1350 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
The NF-S12 is hugely outclassed by its successor, the NF-P12. The S12 was quiet, but just didn't move enough air, especially through a heatsink to be competitive against other fans.

If the Gemini II can mount 38mm fans, I strongly recommend the Panaflo H1 fans. They offer exceptional cooling for their price, and they are very quiet when undervolted (minimal bearing and motor noise, the majority of their noise seems be generated by sheer airflow). If 25mm thick fans are your only option, the NF-P12 fans are good, but the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fans are better, and not significantly louder. The Slipstream 1900 is way too loud for how much noise it puts out, and does not get quiet until you go under 1000RPM. The Yate Loon D12-SH12 moves a respectable amount of air, but again is rather loud and doesn't even quiet down much undervolted as far as I can take it before it quits spinning. The Ultra Kaze fans are good (not too noisy), but given their extremely short lifespan I'd stick to the Panaflo H1. Another popular fan is the Silverstone FM121, but I have not used one myself, so I'll hold off judgment.

For the Cooler Master RC690, I'll give you the fan setup I'm using:

Front Intake: Scythe Slipstream 1900RPM
Rear Exhaust: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Top Exhaust x2: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (x2)
Bottom Intake: Yate Loon D12-SH12
Top side panel intake (CPU): Noctua NF-P12
Bottom side panel intake (GPU): Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000

I don't like the stock fans that came with the case. They're not horribly loud, but they move less air than a midget flapping his arms inside my case. It's a bit expensive if you get all high-quality fans though. I'd start off with an extra two or three fans initially. A good setup would be to use the stock Cooler Master fans without LEDs as top exhaust fans, keep the LED as your front intake, and run a high-quality fan in these places (and in this order: Rear Exhaust, upper side panel (CPU), bottom side panel/bottom intake (either/or gives approximately equal results).

I'll also let you know that I had problems on my side panel with high-performance fans. The S-Flex fans that were inaudible outside my case and on my CPU cooler developed a horribly loud noise once mounted on the side panels. I thought it might be a vibration issue so I got some rubber fan mounts, but those didn't help either. Turns out it was all air turbulence through the poorly designed hex mesh. I'd definitely recommend picking up a fan controller with this case. I'm using the Scythe Kaze Master, but given the number of fans I have, I can only afford to use it on the really noisy fans. I'll be picking up a second fan controller later, but if you want to just use a single fan controller, the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme looks to be an excellent choice, since it supports an ungodly amount of wattage per fan, making it an idea choice for running multiple fans off one knob.
The Replacement
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra  EVGA GTX 750 Ti Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Reactor 1TB LG Blu-Ray Burner Cryorig H7 Window 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420T Code 87 Clears Rosewill Photon 650 Fractal Design Core 3500W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Storm Xornet II Steelseries QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC-360 
  hide details  
Reply
The Replacement
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra  EVGA GTX 750 Ti Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Reactor 1TB LG Blu-Ray Burner Cryorig H7 Window 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420T Code 87 Clears Rosewill Photon 650 Fractal Design Core 3500W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Storm Xornet II Steelseries QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC-360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post
The NF-S12 is hugely outclassed by its successor, the NF-P12. The S12 was quiet, but just didn't move enough air, especially through a heatsink to be competitive against other fans.

If the Gemini II can mount 38mm fans, I strongly recommend the Panaflo H1 fans. They offer exceptional cooling for their price, and they are very quiet when undervolted (minimal bearing and motor noise, the majority of their noise seems be generated by sheer airflow). If 25mm thick fans are your only option, the NF-P12 fans are good, but the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fans are better, and not significantly louder. The Slipstream 1900 is way too loud for how much noise it puts out, and does not get quiet until you go under 1000RPM. The Yate Loon D12-SH12 moves a respectable amount of air, but again is rather loud and doesn't even quiet down much undervolted as far as I can take it before it quits spinning. The Ultra Kaze fans are good (not too noisy), but given their extremely short lifespan I'd stick to the Panaflo H1. Another popular fan is the Silverstone FM121, but I have not used one myself, so I'll hold off judgment.

For the Cooler Master RC690, I'll give you the fan setup I'm using:

Front Intake: Scythe Slipstream 1900RPM
Rear Exhaust: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Top Exhaust x2: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (x2)
Bottom Intake: Yate Loon D12-SH12
Top side panel intake (CPU): Noctua NF-P12
Bottom side panel intake (GPU): Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000

I don't like the stock fans that came with the case. They're not horribly loud, but they move less air than a midget flapping his arms inside my case. It's a bit expensive if you get all high-quality fans though. I'd start off with an extra two or three fans initially. A good setup would be to use the stock Cooler Master fans without LEDs as top exhaust fans, keep the LED as your front intake, and run a high-quality fan in these places (and in this order: Rear Exhaust, upper side panel (CPU), bottom side panel/bottom intake (either/or gives approximately equal results).

I'll also let you know that I had problems on my side panel with high-performance fans. The S-Flex fans that were inaudible outside my case and on my CPU cooler developed a horribly loud noise once mounted on the side panels. I thought it might be a vibration issue so I got some rubber fan mounts, but those didn't help either. Turns out it was all air turbulence through the poorly designed hex mesh. I'd definitely recommend picking up a fan controller with this case. I'm using the Scythe Kaze Master, but given the number of fans I have, I can only afford to use it on the really noisy fans. I'll be picking up a second fan controller later, but if you want to just use a single fan controller, the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme looks to be an excellent choice, since it supports an ungodly amount of wattage per fan, making it an idea choice for running multiple fans off one knob.
THX MATE!! 4 the GREATE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
I gathered some information about fans. check it out
_________________________________________RPMdBACFM
Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120mm DFS123812L-2000_____20003287DC12V120 x 120 x 38mm225g
Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120mm DFS123812H-3000_____300045133DC12V120 x 120 x 38mm225g
Scythe S-FLEX S-FDB 120mm SFF21G ____________19003575120 x 120 x 25mm
Scythe S-FLEX S-FDB 120mm SFF21F_____________16002863120 x 120 x 25mm
Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm SY1225SL12SH_______190037110120 x 120 x 25mm115g
Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm SY1225SL12H________16003388120 x 120 x 25mm115g
Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm___________________22004088120 x 120 x 25mm

why didnt u choose Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm Case Fan SY1225SL12SH
instead of Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120mm Case Fan DFS123812L-2000

110CFM vs 87CFM and 37dBA vs 32dBA, respectively?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMePls View Post
why didnt u choose Scythe SLIP STREAM 120mm Case Fan SY1225SL12SH
instead of Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120mm Case Fan DFS123812L-2000

110CFM vs 87CFM and 37dBA vs 32dBA, respectively?
Higher dBA means the fan is louder, not better. And 38mm fans have higher static pressure than 25mm ones at approximately the same RPM, and can move air much more efficiently through a heatsink/radiator.

I did pick up the 1900RPM Scythe Slipstream though. And it was underwhelming at best. It's way too loud for the amount of air it moves, and the amount of air it moves honestly isn't all that impressive, Scythe probably fudged the CFM on the Slipstreams a bit.
The Replacement
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra  EVGA GTX 750 Ti Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Reactor 1TB LG Blu-Ray Burner Cryorig H7 Window 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420T Code 87 Clears Rosewill Photon 650 Fractal Design Core 3500W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Storm Xornet II Steelseries QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC-360 
  hide details  
Reply
The Replacement
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core I5 6600K Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra  EVGA GTX 750 Ti Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Reactor 1TB LG Blu-Ray Burner Cryorig H7 Window 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420T Code 87 Clears Rosewill Photon 650 Fractal Design Core 3500W 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Storm Xornet II Steelseries QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Zx Sennheiser PC-360 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayvinAzn View Post
Higher dBA means the fan is louder, not better. And 38mm fans have higher static pressure than 25mm ones at approximately the same RPM, and can move air much more efficiently through a heatsink/radiator.

I did pick up the 1900RPM Scythe Slipstream though. And it was underwhelming at best. It's way too loud for the amount of air it moves, and the amount of air it moves honestly isn't all that impressive, Scythe probably fudged the CFM on the Slipstreams a bit.
thx for explanation!
I have never seen so much comprehensive survey of subject!

thx again!
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
I wanna input some useful information about Static Pressure and Air Flow

**************** = www overclock3d net

http://www.****************/reviews....e_120mm_fans/5

http://www.****************/reviews...._performance/3

Scythe ULTRA KAZE 120mm Case Fan DFS123812H-3000 = 2,0/3,0 mm H2O
Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm = 1,68/1,99 mm H2O


so I have decided to setup on Bottom side panel intake Scythe ULTRA KAZE DFS123812H-3000 and on GeminII Noctua NF-P12-1300

Thank All for the participation!!!!
post #9 of 9
personally i would not get the gemini ii. i had it for a year and i'm not very happy. it doesn't lower your mb components that much even at high fan rpm (2000+). in terms of fan speed, go for a fan that's around 1600 rpm. cools just as much as 2000 with only 0-1 degree diff.

btw i also have the same case
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Doh eVGA 759 Classy Gigabyte GTX 470 6 gb Mushkin Blackline 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80gb SSD, 2x640 Black, 2x1TB Green, 640 Green Samsung DVD-RW W7 64bit 1920x1200 Asus 25.5 incher 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 86ub + HHKbp2 Silverstone Zeus 850W Ravenfish Rayzor Naga | Sseries Xai 
Mouse Pad
Rayzor Sphex | PT Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › 2xFans for CoolerMaster Gemin II CPU Cooler