Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed - Page 3

post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evostance View Post
What this whole thing is about is that Blizzard want copyright laws changed so they can legal ban Glider on WoW. Blizzard say, you hold a license for the game not own it, therefore copying it in any shape or form is theoretically *illegal* and breaking their TnC's

Which would mean anyone who plays WoW is breaking the copyright law but more importantly to blizzard, there TnC's. Since glider does not actualy change what is on the disk or anything to do with WoW, blizzard cant make it illegal.

Blizzard want to change it somehow so they can make more money by making it illegal to glide. What they don't realise is that Glider has sold over 100,000 copies (dont forget the pirated ones/shared cd keys) all play £9 a month. Thats £900,000 a month from them botters, if they make glider illegal, pretty much all of them botter will stop playing. Thats almost £1,000,000 profit a month gone.
That's not a net profit of £1,000,000/mo, though.

Blizzard is mainly doing this to increase the time players spend playing the game by forcing them to grind out levels, money, and items instead of having a botting program do it for them more efficiently. Plus, Blizzard doesn't make any money on Glider or it's similar programs, so that's one source of profit involved with their game that they don't have control over. They make their money by having players spend more time doing tedious things (like grinding gold, levels, items, etc.), which makes them play longer and increases Blizzard's profit from monthly subscriptions.

What Blizzard is also trying to do is argue that anyone who plays their games is violating copyright laws, since they create a copy of the game in their RAM. The only way that Blizzard wouldn't sue you for copyright infringement was if you were using a legally bought piece of software which, in World of Warcraft's case, requires you to sign a EULA before you play. When you sign the EULA, that's basically Blizzard saying they won't come after you for copyright infringement since you purchased the game. I can understand the argument, but the argument itself is pretty unsteady.
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psik0.k1m View Post
LOL.. you are very wrong dude..

People crack games and pirate them just to do it.. to prove it can be done..

Please stop copy/pasting stuff from the wiki... it's kinda sad and monotonous.
That is undoubtedly idiotic. I could understand that if you are the person cracking the game just to be able to do it. I very much doubt that you have been the first to crack any game or software. Even so, that means the person(s) who crack games do it only to crack them and don't intend on distributing it through torrents or even playing said cracked game themselves.

Don't think that because you downloaded a torrent of a cracked piece of software you did it "to prove it can be done." You and countless others do it to avoid paying for the product.
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
That is undoubtedly idiotic. I could understand that if you are the person cracking the game just to be able to do it. I very much doubt that you have been the first to crack any game or software. Even so, that means the person(s) who crack games do it only to crack them and don't intend on distributing it through torrents or even playing said cracked game themselves.

Don't think that because you downloaded a torrent of a cracked piece of software you did it "to prove it can be done." You and countless others do it to avoid paying for the product.
Your making it out to be way more than it is man.

Me ? I download cracked games ? Proof please ? Please don't call me a pirate'd software user..

Believe me.. people do not play/download cracked games JUST to AVOID paying the price...

when i was growing up.. it was the cool thing to do... having cracked / pirated games were like having awesome rare baseball cards...

it's kind of an art form if you think about it outside the box... but then again... you and countless others just follow the mold and label people based on what you read on a forum or a news post....stop trying to be idealistic.
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
That's not a net profit of £1,000,000/mo, though.

Blizzard is mainly doing this to increase the time players spend playing the game by forcing them to grind out levels, money, and items instead of having a botting program do it for them more efficiently. Plus, Blizzard doesn't make any money on Glider or it's similar programs, so that's one source of profit involved with their game that they don't have control over. They make their money by having players spend more time doing tedious things (like grinding gold, levels, items, etc.), which makes them play longer and increases Blizzard's profit from monthly subscriptions.

What Blizzard is also trying to do is argue that anyone who plays their games is violating copyright laws, since they create a copy of the game in their RAM. The only way that Blizzard wouldn't sue you for copyright infringement was if you were using a legally bought piece of software which, in World of Warcraft's case, requires you to sign a EULA before you play. When you sign the EULA, that's basically Blizzard saying they won't come after you for copyright infringement since you purchased the game. I can understand the argument, but the argument itself is pretty unsteady.
If there was NO RISK in loosing my account if I used a bot, would I bot instead of playing until I got to 70? Hell yeh I would. I hate being a low level while all my friends are 70.

I hate levelling up while all my firends are 70. Its boring and it sucks balls. I hardly play WoW anymore but if I could bot then I would.

I still fail to see Blizzards logic here

I buy the game + expansions = £60
I bot = £9/mnth till whenever i please

or

I buy the game + expansions = £60
£9/mnth till i get fed up with levelling and dont play anymore
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4850HQ  Yes GT 750M 16GB Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
512GB SSD 1TB Buffalo Drivestation OSX Mavericks 15" 2880 x 1800 IPS 
MouseOther
Magic Mouse Mobee Magic Charger 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4850HQ  Yes GT 750M 16GB Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
512GB SSD 1TB Buffalo Drivestation OSX Mavericks 15" 2880 x 1800 IPS 
MouseOther
Magic Mouse Mobee Magic Charger 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyfaucet View Post
Another reason is that someone loses a car or a physical object when you steal them. When you pirate a game, you are not "taking" anything from anybody. They are no worse off than if you didn't take it. In that sense, they are not ethically equivalent.
You are stealing product of that company. You must realize that many people feed and clothe their families from the revenue generated by the sale of these products. By taking and not paying for these games, you are making those people work for nothing.

Pirating is a very unethical action.
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psik0.k1m View Post
Your making it out to be way more than it is man.

Me ? I download cracked games ? Proof please ? Please don't call me a pirate'd software user..

Believe me.. people do not play/download cracked games JUST to AVOID paying the price...

when i was growing up.. it was the cool thing to do... having cracked / pirated games were like having awesome rare baseball cards...

it's kind of an art form if you think about it outside the box... but then again... you and countless others just follow the mold and label people based on what you read on a forum or a news post....stop trying to be idealistic.
If you don't play/download cracked games, then good for you.

And what you don't seem to get is that there is a difference between someone who actually does the cracking of a game's code compared to someone who downloads a game that has already been cracked in order to play it. The people who USE a product that they have not paid for are using it for illegal purposes. It would be one thing if the crackers only crack games as a challenge and nothing more. However, most crackers then distribute them via downloads and pirated CDs so that others can use the software without needing to crack it.

Don't try to argue that using cracked software is an art form. Lawlessness != art. Just because it was the cool thing to do when you were a little kid doesn't mean it flies in the real world, either.
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
You are stealing product of that company. You must realize that many people feed and clothe their families from the revenue generated by the sale of these products. By taking and not paying for these games, you are making those people work for nothing.

Pirating is a very unethical action.
Lol.. that is totally speculation...

So your saying that workers at every video game dev that have had their pirated game have their children running around naked with no clothes... and no food becuase someone pirated a copy of cod4 ?

LOLOLOLOL
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 83
Do you not understand the simple fact that the workers of these game development companies depend on the sale of their products for their own livelihood? When over 30% of their sales are lost to piraters, the company either has to fire its workers due to lack of revenue, or decrease spending on the next game, so that they might be able to scratch out a profit.

If your too cold-hearted to realize that you are essentially taking money out of someone else's pocket by pirating a game then I have nothing more to say to you.
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by psik0.k1m View Post
Lol.. that is totally speculation...

So your saying that workers at every video game dev that have had their pirated game have their children running around naked with no clothes... and no food becuase someone pirated a copy of cod4 ?

LOLOLOLOL
That has to be the dumbest statement you've said yet. How do you think game developers earn a living? They make games. If piracy is reducing how many games are sold, then the game developer has lost however much piracy is taking from the sales of the game. It's no different than if any other manufacturer of a product had a portion of their product stolen. They lose money, plain and simple.
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
That has to be the dumbest statement you've said yet. How do you think game developers earn a living? They make games. If piracy is reducing how many games are sold, then the game developer has lost however much piracy is taking from the sales of the game. It's no different than if any other manufacturer of a product had a portion of their product stolen. They lose money, plain and simple.

I work for a dev dude.

Piracy is taking into consideration and planned out in the total cost / profit forecast for a title...

Any dev that does not do this is just asking to sink their boat.

Do you really think game devs put all their eggs in one basket and then just magically get pissed off when they find out that people are pirating their games ?

GET REAL DUDE .. and stop letting the crap flow out of your uninformed keyboard.
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My900
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz evga nForce 680i A1 LeadTek GTX 280 @ 705/1450/1200 4x1GB Super Tallent DDR2(800) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 250gbx2 LG 18X DVD-RW / 300GB WD VelociRaptor Vista x64 Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech ThermalTake Toughpower 650w Antec 900 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed