Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed - Page 7

post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
O RLY? Take a look at stardock dude. Take a look at all of their games that dont have anti piracy measures. Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 and Sins of a Solar empire.

They have both done very well and Sins of a Solar empire one of the best selling pc games avalible right now.

If they can make games and plan them out without thinking about copy protection why cant everyone else? Because everyone else makes **** games and complain that there losing sales because of piracy when they dont sell well.

heres a link to Sins sales chart:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/304331

LOL mr big shot working for a developer.
It's even more interesting that 60% of the top 10 list is SIMS/world of warcraft titles.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtn400 View Post
I never said it did. I was just pointing something out.
One: You were arguing a point. By pointing out that someone else is wrong and then making your case, your support is implicit.

Two: You totally discounted the overhead it takes to make a game. Sure, the raw material (in your analogy, zeros and ones) is free, but that doesn't mean you don't need a building, PCs, workers, electricity, staffing, janitors, advertising agencies, lawyers, etc. Just because it's intangible doesn't mean it didn't cost anything to make.

again, I know I'm probably annoying the lot of you, but...well, there it is.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
O RLY? Take a look at stardock dude. Take a look at all of their games that dont have anti piracy measures. Galactic Civilizations 1 and 2 and Sins of a Solar empire.

They have both done very well and Sins of a Solar empire one of the best selling pc games avalible right now.

If they can make games and plan them out without thinking about copy protection why cant everyone else? Because everyone else makes **** games and complain that there losing sales because of piracy when they dont sell well.

heres a link to Sins sales chart:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/304331

LOL mr big shot working for a developer.
First, it would wise if you and other posters refrained from direct attacks... You guys need to remember that we are all part of the same forum here.

Second, theres a simple reason why that game hasn't been pirated much. Its not really well known, and people dont really know what its about. Piraters aren't going to go after games like that when they could be cracking big-name titles like CoD4 or Crysis.

Because everyone else makes **** games and complain that there losing sales because of piracy when they dont sell well.

Just wow. Thats a extremely bold and outlandish statement. Although pirating isn't the only reason why some games don't make as much money as expected, it is a very major issue. Companies take a direct hit in sales from pirated games, and thats something you cannot dispute...

http://www.mininova.org/search/call+of+duty+4/3
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G51-AX
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 2500K ASUS P67 PRO GTX560 GTX560 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
8GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Two 500GB Caviar Blacks Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair TX850 
Mouse
Logitech Mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 83
Wow! I cannot believe I took the time to read every single post. I feel dumber just from reading some of them.

As someone who pays for thier games, music, and everything else, I hate the whole protection crap because it makes the law-abiding gamers take extra steps and time in order to play what they purchased.

On the other hand, I see it as a neccessity. If as many as 30% of gamers pirate, and the protection can keep 30% of those from playing for free, then it's worth it. Sure the company wont make any money off them either way, but atleast I'll know that I didn't spend $50 while my neighbor gets to play for free. he either paid, or doesn't play.

With the whole Blizzard and Glider-type programs... Well I hate that botting programs are out there, but in all honesty it is the end user who is violating the ToS. Not the Bot- makers. However, it should be illegal to make a profit off of something that was created for the sole purpose of illegal use. There is no legal use for these Glider programs. Its not like a knife or gun that can be used for both legal and illegal means. This tool is used 100% of the time illegally, and if it isn't against copywrite laws for them to create and distribute them, Blizzard should be compensated as these programs directly cut into thier profits either through less time spent playing by the botters, or legitimate players quitting due to feeling cheated(although 99% don't even know they are effected).
In progress...
(14 items)
 
On the go
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 P5N32-E SLI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 448 4x2GB XMS2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Plus R2 150GB Raptor + 400GB Seagate Win 7 Pro x64 Dell ST2210 / Westinghouse 37w3 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750W Antec Nine Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G73Sw NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M  Elpida  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G. G. Elpida  750GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Super Multi DVD Asus 64-bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboard
17.3" 1920x1080 Illuminated 
  hide details  
Reply
In progress...
(14 items)
 
On the go
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 P5N32-E SLI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 448 4x2GB XMS2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex Plus R2 150GB Raptor + 400GB Seagate Win 7 Pro x64 Dell ST2210 / Westinghouse 37w3 
PowerCase
Corsair HX750W Antec Nine Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G73Sw NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M  Elpida  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
G. G. Elpida  750GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Super Multi DVD Asus 64-bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboard
17.3" 1920x1080 Illuminated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post
Did I say abolish copyright laws completely? No.

Do I have the right to do whatever I want with those 0's and 1's on my computer, for my own personal use? Yes.
If someone spent large amounts of money and hundreds of work hours to arrange those 1's and 0's on your computer into something you wanted/needed as a service, would you pay them? or just pull that defense and kick them out.

you can copy someone's thesis and call it your own,because it's just A's, B's C's....
but it's the order of them and the ideas that are contained within that would cause trouble.

(note:to the general person)

Put up your fake walls and justify piracy,

it's human nature to be greedy. people find a way to get a gain for free with no consequence so they take it. But it's not justifiable and i wish someone could develop something uncrackable (impossible) and integrate it into all software
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 4.1ghz HT on Gigabyte X58A-UD7 ASUS 6970 DCII (975/1498 1.2V) 4x4GB G.skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB + 2tb WD Passport Samsung 20x DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell u2711 G15 (v2) corsair AX850 Fractal R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G5 dota custom asus xonar essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 960 4.1ghz HT on Gigabyte X58A-UD7 ASUS 6970 DCII (975/1498 1.2V) 4x4GB G.skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 480GB + 2tb WD Passport Samsung 20x DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell u2711 G15 (v2) corsair AX850 Fractal R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
G5 dota custom asus xonar essence stx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
One: You were arguing a point. By pointing out that someone else is wrong and then making your case, your support is implicit.

Two: You totally discounted the overhead it takes to make a game. Sure, the raw material (in your analogy, zeros and ones) is free, but that doesn't mean you don't need a building, PCs, workers, electricity, staffing, janitors, advertising agencies, lawyers, etc. Just because it's intangible doesn't mean it didn't cost anything to make.

again, I know I'm probably annoying the lot of you, but...well, there it is.
I think it's pretty funny that someone else is trying to tell me what I think.

The only time I ever think piracy is ok is when...
  • You use it as a "demo"; You play part of the game, you like it, and you go buy it.
  • It is nearly impossible to buy the game (such as the original DOOM 1.9)
  • You have already bought the game and have lost the disk/CD key
Cataclysm
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.0 Sapphire 4850 4x 2GB DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD1600AAJS Random IDE Sony DVD Burner Tuniq Tower 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
6x 120mm Scythe SY1225SL12SH Fans Thermalright T-RAD2 2x 92mm Scythe DFS922512M-PWM Fans Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 19" @ 1400x900 Sceptre 19" @ 1280x1024 Cherry G81-7000LPAUS-2 (MY Switches) Corsair 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 900 Razer Diamondback 3G A black one with a cat in a hammock Asus Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
Cataclysm
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.0 Sapphire 4850 4x 2GB DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD1600AAJS Random IDE Sony DVD Burner Tuniq Tower 120 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
6x 120mm Scythe SY1225SL12SH Fans Thermalright T-RAD2 2x 92mm Scythe DFS922512M-PWM Fans Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer 19" @ 1400x900 Sceptre 19" @ 1280x1024 Cherry G81-7000LPAUS-2 (MY Switches) Corsair 650TX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 900 Razer Diamondback 3G A black one with a cat in a hammock Asus Xonar D1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
You are stealing product of that company. You must realize that many people feed and clothe their families from the revenue generated by the sale of these products. By taking and not paying for these games, you are making those people work for nothing.

Pirating is a very unethical action.
Unethical my ass. I can assure you everyone I know who pirates games either has already owned the game and is DLing a replacement for a broken disk or had no intention of buying the game to begin with. It's the same as going over to a friend's house to play one of his games. You play the game, but the $xx Billion a year publisher doesn't get your $50. How unethical

Plus any of these "pirates" also have a large library of legally purchased games as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
When over 30% of their sales are lost to piraters

If your too cold-hearted to realize that you are essentially taking money out of someone else's pocket by pirating a game then I have nothing more to say to you.
Where'd you get that number? Some random number off the top of your head. Fact is, there is no way to get even close to an accurate number of people who pirate games, and any numbers you see are likely to be grossly inflated.

Nothing more than corporate propaganda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
It is pretty amusing defending people's rights, innit?
People's rights come way before corporate rights. Anti-piracy extremists typically only defend the latter, with total disregard to the former (individual rights).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
Hell, if me "ranting" on an overclocking forum is enough to change the way one person views about piracy, then that's one more person doing what's right.
Why yes, you are changing my views. In favor of piracy. Perhaps if you legalists weren't so hostile and outright ignorant at times, I would probably find myself in agreement with you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
You are hurting PC gaming.
And yes, you have fallen victim to corporate propaganda. It's actually very helpful to research the tactics propagandists use and how to spot them. Piracy has been around as long as PC gaming has been. It's always been a modest nuisance to the industry, and never a serious threat. Piracy has grown, yes, but only because the gaming industry has grown exponentially in the past 20 years.

People are greedy, and want as much money as possible. So what they do is blow the issue of piracy way out of proportion. Eliminating piracy will increase profit, but not by any major amount. It's just a fruitless pursuit to make a little more money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
Because everyone else makes **** games and complain that there losing sales because of piracy when they dont sell well.
It's funny you say that. The two companies making the biggest complaint about losing sales to piracy right now are Epic and Crytek. Epic is complaining about GoW, even though most people that wanted to buy it had already bought it on the 360. Not to mention the horrid Windows Live multiplayer system. Crytek is complaining about Crysis, which doesn't even run on most PCs.

They complain about lost sales, but there are obvious reasons for them. Either they are using piracy as a scapegoat or they are just extremely shortsighted.
Quote:
Companies take a direct hit in sales from pirated games, and thats something you cannot dispute...

http://www.mininova.org/search/call+of+duty+4/3
Wow, a grand total of only 260 torrents. I guess it really is "indisputable" that piracy is driving these companies out of business
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post
If someone spent large amounts of money and hundreds of work hours to arrange those 1's and 0's on your computer into something you wanted/needed as a service, would you pay them? or just pull that defense and kick them out.

you can copy someone's thesis and call it your own,because it's just A's, B's C's....
but it's the order of them and the ideas that are contained within that would cause trouble.
Personal use means it only affects me. So I can damn well copy someone's thesis and call it my own, so long as it only affects me. I have every right to, and no one can stop me. Though to do so would be utterly pointless, other than for the ideological principle.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
Second, theres a simple reason why that game hasn't been pirated much. Its not really well known, and people dont really know what its about. Piraters aren't going to go after games like that when they could be cracking big-name titles like CoD4 or Crysis.
I didn't want to get into this but I found this quote funny. I don't understand how you think that the game is not really well known. The game is second in retail sales which doesn't include wallmart or digital downloads, which they say are where a majority of the sales are. This is without any sort of copyright. So yes, I would say a lot of people know about this game, considering it sold the most copies out of any computer game in February. And I don't see Crysis on that list.
Amanda
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k MSI P67 GD55 MSI Cyclone GeForce GTX 460 1GB G.Skill Sniper 1333 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 7200.11 500GB Windows 7 x64 Pro Samsung 22" T220 + 19'' 906BW OCZ ModXStream 500W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
Amanda
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k MSI P67 GD55 MSI Cyclone GeForce GTX 460 1GB G.Skill Sniper 1333 2x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 7200.11 500GB Windows 7 x64 Pro Samsung 22" T220 + 19'' 906BW OCZ ModXStream 500W 
Case
CM Storm Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 83
So I bought Universe at War and I didn't like it now what am I suppose to do with it? It just sit on my shelf, with three other PC game I payed 50-60 bucks for that I didn't like. I will stay away from the piracy subject as I have mix thoughts to say the least. But if I want to sell my used game then why can't I... I mean I did buy it, and assume full responsibility and ownership right. If I buy a car can I sell it later, what about my house. If I buy a manufacture home and decide that I don't want it in 5 years I sure hope that no one fines it wrong that I sell it.
BloodRed i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Foxconn Bloodrage ATI HD5870 6GB OCZ i7 Certified 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TBx2 Lite-on 20x DVD burner Windows 7 Ult x64 Samsung 2494HM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Zalman 850w ZM850-HP CM Stacker 830 G500 Razor XactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
BloodRed i7
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 930 Foxconn Bloodrage ATI HD5870 6GB OCZ i7 Certified 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TBx2 Lite-on 20x DVD burner Windows 7 Ult x64 Samsung 2494HM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Zalman 850w ZM850-HP CM Stacker 830 G500 Razor XactMat X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
Companies take a direct hit in sales from pirated games, and thats something you cannot dispute...
Actually, I'm not going to get into theis argument but I wanted to say that this can be arued with. It is not an indisputable fact, it's speculation.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k ASRock Z77 Extreme6 EVGA GTX 980ti Superclock 4x4GB Samsung 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD840 2xMaxtor 200gb RAID0 Customer water cooling with '77 Bonneville rad Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Korean 1440p Razor mechanical Corsair TH850W CM Stacker 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Lachesis generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed