Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed - Page 8

post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Biggest problem of our generation, old people in the patent office who don't know how to decide on technology patents
Yes, video game copyright legislation is the biggest problem of our generation. Not terrorism, not healthcare, not the environment, but the ever-looming destruction that will rain down from the sky when we can't figure out how to update intellectual property laws.



Get some perspective people!
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
Callisto
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K 4.7ghz @ 1.37v MSI P67A-GD65 EVGA GTX 680 Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel SSD 40GB; Seagate Cavier Green 1TB Scientific Linux 6.3/Windoze7 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Corsair TX850 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 83
All I would like to add is that it is silly to think that, just because nothing tangible is taken, that it isn't theft. You can justify it all you want. You can claim that it doesn't truely effect anyone or anything. You can claim that they would never have gotten your money in the first place. You can say they are money grubbing companies that deserve it. You can claim that it is an artform. (one of my favorites so far) It is still stealing and it is still wrong. I agree that it will never go away. As long as there is a market, there will be a black market. If you choose to pirate, then good for you. It is your right as a human being to make that choice, but please be honest with yourself and admit that it is stealing and therefore it is wrong.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 83
Most people pirate the game or software due to inadequate demos. Most games nowadays lack a demo.

In the overused car example, if i want to buy a car i can take it for a test drive. I can go and see it, expirience the car etc.

In today's software market such facilities are not there. Why? 90% of the games out there are crap in actuallity and so the developers try to trick people into buying their game just by saucie screenshots and fake descriptions.

If pirating a game is unethical and illegal so is scamming someone into buying a product

P.S Blizzards sue has nothing to do with this though. Its just showing how greedy they are, trying to make money out of nothing. As was posted on the article they could have just sued for breach of contract which is what they are actually trying to say. However since they would make far much lesser money out such a lawsuit they went for the more rewarding but stupid approach.
Main
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
Main
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post
People's rights come way before corporate rights. Anti-piracy extremists typically only defend the latter, with total disregard to the former (individual rights).
That's why they're extremists. Anti-piracy sentiments cover BOTH corporate and individual rights, because piracy hurts both. Corporations aren't hurt as badly by piracy than smaller businesses and inventors. Believe me, I mistrust corporations as much as the next guy, but I'm more worried about piracy and it's impacts on smaller companies that can't compensate from losses like large corporations can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrnyGoat View Post
Why yes, you are changing my views. In favor of piracy. Perhaps if you legalists weren't so hostile and outright ignorant at times, I would probably find myself in agreement with you guys.
So you decide to change your views in favor of piracy because you don't like the people associated with anti-piracy views? Doesn't change the fact that it's still illegal (for a reason, though you probably doubt that).
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Bubbles
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600@ 3.6GHz 1.37v DFI LP LT P35 eVGA 8800GTS 512mb 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
MAXTOR 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Philips DVD+-RW XP Pro w/ SP3 24" Samsung 2493HM + 21.6" Samsung 216BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC P&C Silencer 610w Rocketfish Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
So you decide to change your views in favor of piracy because you don't like the people associated with anti-piracy views? Doesn't change the fact that it's still illegal (for a reason, though you probably doubt that).
It may be illegal, but some some stuff is much more illegal. For example, the MPAA paying a hacker to steal personal information from people involved with Torrentspy. Not only is it unethical, but outright illegal because it was done without a warrant.

I am simply siding with the lesser of the two evils.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 E2140 @2.67GHz Abit IP35 Pro Radeon X1900XT 512MB 2x1GB GSkill HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x500GB Samsung HD501LJ + 2x80GB (1.16TB total) 2 X NEC ND-3550A Windows XP Home 24" Acer LCD (AL2324W) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Executive PC P&C Silencer 610W AeroCool AeroEngine II w/ 2x140mm intake fans Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
Generic foam rubber pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 83
I don't see how three guys are "blowing the whole thing out of proportion". We are definately in the minority here. I mean, it's obvious we are retarded, jingoist, brainwashed, corporate whores. God, we are so stupid to think that anyone who downloads a game would EVER buy it if it weren't freely available to them. No one is being harmed, the 1 and 0's are free, the companies that make the games are wiping their asses with money, and it's totally ethical.

I think you're right. We should ALL just dl our games from now on, save on gas that way. No point in paying for it, it's free for the taking. Hell, taking it is an artform, or at least the same as making it yourself.

I concede. Well played, sirs. If you can't beat 'em join 'em. **** this, I'm off to get a copy of Call of Duty 4. Thanks for the link.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekigahara View Post
If you choose to not pay that cost and download a pirated version, you are "taking" the energy, resources, and ideas used by the creators. By your logic, pirating doesn't leave anyone at a loss, which is obviously untrue, since you've robbed the creators of their time, their ability, and their creativity.
I understand your point, but I disagree. When you pirate a game, the developer is no worse off than if you simply didn't buy the game. This is a fact and there are no grounds on which to argue that. Therefore, piracy is not the same as "stealing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBzErO-Eagle View Post
You are stealing product of that company. You must realize that many people feed and clothe their families from the revenue generated by the sale of these products. By taking and not paying for these games, you are making those people work for nothing.

Pirating is a very unethical action.
Your emotional appeal is invalid in this case. The coders, developers, and everyone else who did the real work to make the game have already been paid for their time. Assuming you pirated the game instead of buying it (which many pirates would not have done anyways), the only people that lose out are the rich corporate executives and investor firms. And at that level, their loss is about as important as drop of water in the ocean. No one should feel bad about pirating from wealthy companies such as the subject company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
If I were to take your freedoms, would that be ok? I mean, they aren't tangible things, you'd never miss them.

Think before you speak.
Reading comprehension is your friend.
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 83
Well, you're quite the winner yourself.

Don't bother to critique my comments in a logical manner or state your case with calm, cold, indelible logic in a man-to-man manner. Just get in there, make some guerilla-style snappy comeback and get out as quick as possible. Instant victory! I know when I'm outmatched and concede to your obvious brilliance.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Well, you're quite the winner yourself.

Don't bother to critique my comments in a logical manner or state your case with calm, cold, indelible logic in a man-to-man manner. Just get in there, make some guerilla-style snappy comeback and get out as quick as possible. Instant victory! I know when I'm outmatched and concede to your obvious brilliance.
You ended your first response with an insult, and you expect me to attempt to maintain a reasonable conversation with you? You obviously misunderstood my original post or didn't bother to read it. I don't have time to argue with people like you: I'm done.
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 83
You weren't making the case that since the object of theft is non-tangible = no harm; no foul? If that wasn't your stance than, yes, I stand corrected.

Probably poor analogy on my part, but I was fishing around for something else intangible that the loss of would obviously be "bad".

Sorry about the ad hominem.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Toms Hardware]Blizzard wants Copyright Laws Changed