Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › 120mm Scythe Slipstream pretty loud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

120mm Scythe Slipstream pretty loud

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So, I just bought a 120mm Scythe Slipstream 88CFM 33dBa open box fan from newegg. I just put it in, and I guess I was sort of disappointed. I've never bought any other fans, so I can't compare; maybe I expected too much. Anyways, I thought 33dBa would be pretty quiet, but this fan is REALLY noisy. From the comparison's I have heard (60dBa being normal conversation, 40dBa is like a stream), I would rate the fan's loudness at around 45dBa.

Also, I thought 88CFM was going to be a lot of air. I think i read somewhere that ~80CFM you should feel a strong force on your hand when in the airstream. Well... it doesn't feel very strong. In fact I feel no force on my hand at all. It's just a nice breeze.

Well the fan is rated for 0.41A, and I believe that the 3-pin mobo connectors only supply 0.35A. I'd like to turn the fanspeed down; I tried using SpeedFan but it tells me the RPM is 375000 and I have no idea how to turn down the fan speed.

Anyways, I'd really like to hear from people with experience with this fan, and with other fans too. Does it sound like the fan is not working properly (possibly because it is an open box item)? Or did I just expect too much out of the fan, and this is really what I get?

Thanks in advance for people's responses.

EDIT: I just read some review on newegg. Looks like a lot of other people thought it was a lot louder than they expected too. Ah well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Maybe I'll keep it in for now. I need to invest in a fan controller...
Monster.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 @ 3.0 GHz GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0) EVGA 8800GT OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
WD Caviar SE16 500GB Lite-On 20x DVD Burner Corsair TX650 Coolermaster Elite 330 
  hide details  
Reply
Monster.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 @ 3.0 GHz GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0) EVGA 8800GT OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
WD Caviar SE16 500GB Lite-On 20x DVD Burner Corsair TX650 Coolermaster Elite 330 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenovices View Post
So, I just bought a 120mm Scythe Slipstream 88CFM 33dBa open box fan from newegg. I just put it in, and I guess I was sort of disappointed. I've never bought any other fans, so I can't compare; maybe I expected too much. Anyways, I thought 33dBa would be pretty quiet, but this fan is REALLY noisy. From the comparison's I have heard (60dBa being normal conversation, 40dBa is like a stream), I would rate the fan's loudness at around 45dBa.

Also, I thought 88CFM was going to be a lot of air. I think i read somewhere that ~80CFM you should feel a strong force on your hand when in the airstream. Well... it doesn't feel very strong. In fact I feel no force on my hand at all. It's just a nice breeze.

Well the fan is rated for 0.41A, and I believe that the 3-pin mobo connectors only supply 0.35A. I'd like to turn the fanspeed down; I tried using SpeedFan but it tells me the RPM is 375000 and I have no idea how to turn down the fan speed.

Anyways, I'd really like to hear from people with experience with this fan, and with other fans too. Does it sound like the fan is not working properly (possibly because it is an open box item)? Or did I just expect too much out of the fan, and this is really what I get?

Thanks in advance for people's responses.

EDIT: I just read some review on newegg. Looks like a lot of other people thought it was a lot louder than they expected too. Ah well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Maybe I'll keep it in for now. I need to invest in a fan controller...
Here is your 1st problem....open box. You may have gotten a unit that is not 100%. The Slipstreams are about the best you can do nowadays between db vs rpm. If not, go for the S-Flex F or E but you will not find a quiet 120mm fan that pushes over 60cfm while being quiet (although what you think and what others think equates to silence will vary)...they will all be noticable to one extent or another.
PacMan4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6420 @ 3.0Ghz eVGA 680i LT eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb @648/1015 4GB OCZ Platinum 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
320 Western Digital DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW Windows Vista Home Premium 620W Corsair HX 
Case
CoolerMaster 730 
  hide details  
Reply
PacMan4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6420 @ 3.0Ghz eVGA 680i LT eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb @648/1015 4GB OCZ Platinum 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
320 Western Digital DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW Windows Vista Home Premium 620W Corsair HX 
Case
CoolerMaster 730 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
Agreed with above post, the s-flex sff21f is quite quiet for moving 63.7 cfm. I use these for all my case fans.
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 19
Those fans are kinda bad. In addition to being fairly loud, they've been known to leak lubricant
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 19
I just got some silverstone 120mm from newegg that came with an adjustable fan controller. They move a good amount of air at a reasonable volume. When you need the performance, you can turn them up.
Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999344
The Rhymnoceros
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.9 EVGA 750i FTW GeForce 9600GT SLI G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 BenQ DVD-RW Vista 64-bit HP w2207 22'' 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700W RAIDMAX Smilodon G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Rhymnoceros
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.9 EVGA 750i FTW GeForce 9600GT SLI G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 BenQ DVD-RW Vista 64-bit HP w2207 22'' 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700W RAIDMAX Smilodon G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 19
Mine isn't loud at all. But 33dba is pushing noticeable.... it's probably open box/damaged.....
quad core madness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Lapped Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600 G0 Stepping Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi ATi Sapphire HD 6950 2GB Unlocked 8GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR2-800 PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Solid 2 SSD Samsung SATA 18X DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 3007WFP-HC + 2x 2007FP in PLP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Blue, MX Red Corsair HX620 620W Lian Li V1000 Plus Black Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
XTrack Ripper XL Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
quad core madness
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Lapped Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600 G0 Stepping Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi ATi Sapphire HD 6950 2GB Unlocked 8GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR2-800 PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB OCZ Solid 2 SSD Samsung SATA 18X DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 3007WFP-HC + 2x 2007FP in PLP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Blue, MX Red Corsair HX620 620W Lian Li V1000 Plus Black Razer Mamba 2012 
Mouse PadAudio
XTrack Ripper XL Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Those fans are kinda bad. In addition to being fairly loud, they've been known to leak lubricant
What fans you refering to? The s-flex or the slipstreams?
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti View Post
What fans you refering to? The s-flex or the slipstreams?
Slipstreams.

s-flex don't look too impressive for the price though. $20 on the egg for 63.7 cfm / 28db. I've got a couple of ac ryans that push 77.7cfm at 29db.. And they cost $8 less, and light up Granted, they are sleeve fans, but still.
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liability View Post
Slipstreams.

s-flex don't look too impressive for the price though. $20 on the egg for 63.7 cfm / 28db. I've got a couple of ac ryans that push 77.7cfm at 29db.. And they cost $8 less, and light up
Well it pays to shop around, I got mine for $14 shipped, and who cares about lights? Edit: also a 150000 hr life span, these s-flex will last me many builds.
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
Craptop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 Q740 M Intel HM55 GT425M 6GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB BDROM/DVDRW 7 64bit LED Backlit 17inch 
Power
Baterry 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
well i got my fan for $8 shipped
Monster.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 @ 3.0 GHz GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0) EVGA 8800GT OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
WD Caviar SE16 500GB Lite-On 20x DVD Burner Corsair TX650 Coolermaster Elite 330 
  hide details  
Reply
Monster.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E2180 @ 3.0 GHz GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0) EVGA 8800GT OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOptical DrivePowerCase
WD Caviar SE16 500GB Lite-On 20x DVD Burner Corsair TX650 Coolermaster Elite 330 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › 120mm Scythe Slipstream pretty loud