Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] Torrentspy Dinged $111 Million in MPAA Lawsuit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Wired] Torrentspy Dinged $111 Million in MPAA Lawsuit - Page 6  

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
It's called accessory to a crime at the very least.

I don't know why you are all defending them! Even if it means bringing down sites that are 'legal' to prevent 'illegal' activity then so be it.

The simple fact is, that site caters to illegal activity 99% of the time. If they only allowed legal content, then we wouldn't have a problem would we?

And please don't say i'm wrong. Obviously ai am right because they just got fined $111m which clearly makes your point moot!
A corp[roate favoring legal system designed to keep rich people... rich through staunch defense of intelectual property at the expense of personal privacy rights agrees with you. Who cares?
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonX View Post
Which is exactly what a Torrent site is.

The server simply tells the peers to where to get the file from. It does not give it directly.
Accessory to a crime.They knew full well they were giving peers direct links to illegal content. That is accessory, Felony as well most probably because they were aware of it. I don't know the US laws very well though.

But it is still accessory regardless.
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
post #53 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Accessory to a crime
Providing information is NEVER accesory to a crime in thye strict legal sense.

The client is the accessory. The ISP is the accessory. Not the host.
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Oh, so a Google server hosted the file you downloaded, then, or acted as a medium through which you directly got the file? No? Didn't think so. But this isn't about things like search engines getting into trouble. This is about TorrentSpy. Trying to drag in other companies has absolutely no bearing on TorrentSpy's guilt.
It's called a comparison. In fact, I can access a wider variety on torrents through google than I can through torrentspy.

Torrents are not illegal in any way, shape, or form. Who hosts them is completely irrelevant.

Quote:
What's with the bad analogies? Bringing in other situations to try to draw a parallel is a desparate ploy to try to justify being a thief.
Pot, kettle, black. Your argument was just as ridiculous as my analogy.
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
No! If you can't grasp the difference between providing a medium to obtian files illegally and giving you information regarding such files then you have no business in this part of the discussion.
Actually, sir, you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a search engine/function. And those servers, in and of itself, do NOT host said files. All TorrentSpy, ISOHunt, TorrentPortal, TorrentReactor, and The Pirate Bay do is provide a search engine to scour the internet/tracker servers to FIND LINKS to said documentation.

That is EXACTLY what Yahoo, MSN, and GOOGLE do, FIND LINKS TO DOCUMENTS/FILES THAT ARE POSTED ON THE INTERNET.

So please, let the admins decide who does and doesn't belong in the discussion.
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Torrent spy does not host anything. Moot point.
And now the lack of reading comprehension to avoid points that prove them wrong begins so that they feel they are still justified in promoting thievery.

Seriously... All you pirates need to stop being cheap asses and either buy the product or don't use it. There really is nothing more that needs to be said about it! The lot of you come on each thread with the same piss poor arguments, and you only feel victorious when those of us who do the right thing in this instance get fed up with your ignorant attitudes and lack of moral and social responsibility. And you want to whine about bully issues? Well look it the frickin' mirror because you are causing the issues, you geniuses! And guess what? Your pirating is also an arrogant portrayal of superiority because your actions affect those of us who do do things the right way, forcing us to deal with the consequences: higher prices, more assinine DRM schemes, and lack-luster video game releases for the PC (ports don't count). So your actions are forcing me into things; forcing me to deal with consequences of actions with which I had nothing to do. Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like bullying to me! So not only are the lot of you morally-bankrupt pirates ignorant and arrogant, but you're also hypocrites! Suck on that one while you come up with your next horrible, baseless, ignorant, arrogant, and hypocritical argument.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #57 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Accessory to a crime.They knew full well they were giving peers direct links to illegal content. That is accessory, Felony as well most probably because they were aware of it. I don't know the US laws very well though.

But it is still accessory regardless.
With that argument, then Google, and Yahoo need to have the same fines because you can get the same information from them. It's only a link to a file that is hosted on a seperate domain/site/entity.

Searching is searching, it doesn't not consititute HOSTING!! Does that mean The Yellow Pages can be sued because I used that for SEARCHING for a gun shop to purchase my firearm that was used in a murder??
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
My System VII
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 555 BE Asus M4N72-E BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC 2 Gig Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Blue Caviar 320Gb SATA Lite-On DVD Writer (DVD/DL-DVD/CD Burner) Windows 7 Ultimate Acer 191W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
MS Natural Pro 4000 BFG 800 Watt Thermaltake Sunami Dream Microsoft Sidewinder 
  hide details  
post #58 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Actually, sir, you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a search engine/function. And those servers, in and of itself, do NOT host said files. All TorrentSpy, ISOHunt, TorrentPortal, TorrentReactor, and The Pirate Bay do is provide a search engine to scour the internet/tracker servers to FIND LINKS to said documentation.

That is EXACTLY what Yahoo, MSN, and GOOGLE do, FIND LINKS TO DOCUMENTS/FILES THAT ARE POSTED ON THE INTERNET.

So please, let the admins decide who does and doesn't belong in the discussion.
Weird........google keeps their servers in one location.......TPB and TorrentSpy both had to move their servers frequently. Now id that the actions of an innocent site? Didn't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
A corp[roate favoring legal system designed to keep rich people... rich through staunch defense of intelectual property at the expense of personal privacy rights agrees with you. Who cares?
Hey man, great come back Not!

Seriously, don't just post 'who cares'

I care for the reason above that Stargate presented to you! And you care because you are all annoyed it is shut down. So who cares? All of us! For different reason? Definitely, because i'm certainly not in the same boat as you!

EDIT: Stupid fire arms agument! Leave it out!

Fire Arms are legal unless miss used! illegal torrents are not legal in any way shape or form, as soon as you click download it is an offense! They are illegal straight off the bat! As soon as you buy a gun, it is not an offense until you miss use it!

Fire arms are no comparison to torrents!
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
Smallville
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3570k Asus Sabertooth Z77 Asus HD7950 DirectCU II Asus HD7950 DirectCU II 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 128GB Corsair Force Pro, 2 x 2TB HDD, 500GB Ext... LG Blu-Ray, DVD/CD RW drive Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Genuine 27" Crossover 27Q S-IPS 1440p Cyborg V7 Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom White Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Wireless Steelseries QcK Sennheiser eH250 
  hide details  
post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
And now the lack of reading comprehension to avoid points that prove them wrong begins so that they feel they are still justified in promoting thievery.
You seem to be the one lacking reading comprehension. How many times has it been said in this thread that torrentspy does not host any files, thus is not illegal. Saying it's illegal would be equivalent to throwing those gun shop owners in jail for providing a medium to rob and murder with.

Quote:
Seriously... All you pirates need to stop being cheap asses and either buy the product or don't use it. There really is nothing more that needs to be said about it! The lot of you come on each thread with the same piss poor arguments, and you only feel victorious when those of us who do the right thing in this instance get fed up with your ignorant attitudes and lack of moral and social responsibility. And you want to whine about bully issues? Well look it the frickin' mirror because you are causing the issues, you geniuses! And guess what? Your pirating is also an arrogant portrayal of superiority because your actions affect those of us who do do things the right way, forcing us to deal with the consequences: higher prices, more assinine DRM schemes, and lack-luster video game releases for the PC (ports don't count). So your actions are forcing me into things; forcing me to deal with consequences of actions with which I had nothing to do. Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like bullying to me! So not only are the lot of you morally-bankrupt pirates ignorant and arrogant, but you're also hypocrites! Suck on that one while you come up with your next horrible, baseless, ignorant, arrogant, and hypocritical argument.
Of course, it's all the pirates fault! I don't even download much, 1 or 2 albums a year at the most, and I still think you're an idiot.

Quote:
Weird........google keeps their servers in one location.......TPB and TorrentSpy both had to move their servers frequently. Now id that the actions of an innocent site? Didn't think so
Because they're small companies constantly being harassed by these hypocritical organizations and their army of lawyers. Combine that with our joke of a legal system, and that's all they can do.

Trust me, they'd be all over google if they were as small as most of the torrent sites.
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liability View Post
You seem to be the one lacking reading comprehension. How many times has it been said in this thread that torrentspy does not host any files, thus is not illegal. Saying it's illegal would be equivalent to throwing those gun shop owners in jail for providing a medium to rob and murder with.


Of course, it's all the pirates fault! I don't even download much, 1 or 2 albums a year at the most, and I still think you're an idiot.


Because they're small companies constantly being harassed by these hypocritical organizations and their army of lawyers. Combine that with our joke of a legal system, and that's all they can do.

Trust me, they'd be all over google if they were as small as most of the torrent sites.
Thank you for proving everything I said in that post is true in only one post. That takes skill.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Wired] Torrentspy Dinged $111 Million in MPAA Lawsuit