Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Video Games - General › Have Game Quality Control standards fallen?. Have your say.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have Game Quality Control standards fallen?. Have your say.

Poll Results: Do you think Quality Control is getting neglected ?

 
  • 81% (22)
    Yes
  • 3% (1)
    No
  • 14% (4)
    Maybe
27 Total Votes  
post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hello people of OCN.

I just wanted your thoughts on this matter.

Now we all love it when we are getting excited and reading previews of the next best games to hit our consoles or Pc's. The day the game in question is released, you rush down to your nearest games shop to purchase it and quickly get home to start taking in that gaming goodness......but wait, what is this!. You have played the game for 10 minuits and the game has already crashed? Surely not.

Well unfortunately that seems to be a growing trend IMO.

Now I have TWO main examples that you have all heard off.

1. Crysis..Very buggy on release and poorly coded
2. GTA IV overloaded console cache causing crashes.

Now I am not picking on these two games in particular as there are MANY games out there that suffer from the above or different symptoms. I only mention the above as for me they are the most memorable.

Now to get to the point ( At last ). I think that Quality control is getting forgotten or at very best is falling below a certain standard.

For instance. GTA IV Cache overloading issues SHOULD have been diagnosed VERY easily if the game was tested properly prior to shipping. If they did test the game which I am sure they did, then they sure as hell did not do it for long enough.

As for Crysis....well there were so many issues with it you could have cried.

My point is I think that QC ( Quality Control ) is not being taken seriously enough and developers are WAY to interested in shooting it out to the shops rather than making sure that the end user experience is 100% satisfying. Sure you cannot pick up every bug in QC....but you would think there is a standard, right?

What are your thoughts ? Remember to vote.
post #2 of 19
I don't think that the issue is that they're not taking quality control seriously enough. The problem is that with games like Crysis and GTA that are very open/ graphically advanced, its takes a long time to make the game. Then, taking into account money and how long they have to get the game out, the developers are simply forced to rush games out before they're really done.

Personally, I think that the developers would keep the game in development until it was done properly if they didn't have the time or money restraints. Especially at big companies like EA, I think the higher ups are pushing for more releases without considering the costs on quality.

On the other hand, you could argue that the end result is a combination of what the company is trying to do with the game. Take Crysis: They wanted an amazingly beautiful game - that's it. And so, the story was too short and kinda poor, and they didn't fix the coding because the game already looked good. Now, take Starcraft 2: they went into development saying, "we need to do this properly, and live up to the standards of the original Starcraft. Also, the game does not need to be as graphically advanced as Crysis.

You can see that Crysis could be released without actually making it a good game, and still meet the initial development goals. Whereas with Starcraft 2, they have taken a very long time, which was required by their development goals.

In the end, it boils down to whether the company is out to make money or whether the company is out to make a good game. My personal opinion is that, in general, companies make video games to make loads of money, and very few actually care about the quality of the released product as long as it doesn't hurt their profits too much. (This is easily solved by over-hyping the game pre-release).
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
I don't think that the issue is that they're not taking quality control seriously enough. The problem is that with games like Crysis and GTA that are very open/ graphically advanced, its takes a long time to make the game. Then, taking into account money and how long they have to get the game out, the developers are simply forced to rush games out before they're really done.

Personally, I think that the developers would keep the game in development until it was done properly if they didn't have the time or money restraints. Especially at big companies like EA, I think the higher ups are pushing for more releases without considering the costs on quality.

On the other hand, you could argue that the end result is a combination of what the company is trying to do with the game. Take Crysis: They wanted an amazingly beautiful game - that's it. And so, the story was too short and kinda poor, and they didn't fix the coding because the game already looked good. Now, take Starcraft 2: they went into development saying, "we need to do this properly, and live up to the standards of the original Starcraft. Also, the game does not need to be as graphically advanced as Crysis.

You can see that Crysis could be released without actually making it a good game, and still meet the initial development goals. Whereas with Starcraft 2, they have taken a very long time, which was required by their development goals.

In the end, it boils down to whether the company is out to make money or whether the company is out to make a good game.
Some very good points there.

Quote:
In the end, it boils down to whether the company is out to make money or whether the company is out to make a good game.
Aint that the truth...I wish it was not all about money as that is what is killing our games IMO.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Aint that the truth...I wish it was not all about money as that is what is killing our games IMO.
That's why we need little groups to keep stepping forward and releasing good games. They're the ones who really care about the quality of their products.
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Helmet
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.4ghz, 1.39v DFI LP UT P35-T2R XFX 6970 4gb G.Skill PC8000, 2gb G.Skill PC8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, WD Black 1tb, Samsung F1 1tb Windows 7 x64 Samsung 206bw Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X650 Antec P182 Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 19
I blame EA.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpwnerofn00bs View Post
That's why we need little groups to keep stepping forward and releasing good games. They're the ones who really care about the quality of their products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
I blame EA.
Lol as I read tehpwners post I thought EA also. EA are fairly bad when it comes to QC. Rockstar IMO are fairly good, its just a pitty GTA IV slipped through a little bit.
post #7 of 19
Game quality has been steadily declining since the end of SNES
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
In Progress...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz DFI DK P35-T2RS Dark PowerColor 6870 OCZ Reaper 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Too Many Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 2333SW Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad Antec 900 Razer Death Adder Razer Goliathus Control Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Now now, just because a companies slogan is "Hey it compiles! Lets ship it!" does not mean.. ok, yes it does mean that they are pretty bad.

GTA 4, Crysis, a few others are just ... sad.

While we are talking about that, what about optimizations, are those dead too?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yeah optimizations are pretty bad aswel sometimes.

Thus why I love Valve !
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
Yeah optimizations are pretty bad aswel sometimes.

Thus why I love Valve !
Half life 2 on a TI4200 any one? Almost maxed out on a 7600GT is great.

Heck, COD 4 was pretty good too, playable at 800x600 with a Mobility 9700.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Video Games - General › Have Game Quality Control standards fallen?. Have your say.