Overclock.net banner

750i vs 780i

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  rYaN1128 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Depends on what you are looking to do with the boards. I can only speak personally about the 750i. The 750i has had some initial issues, but subsequent Bios updates have all but eliminated these (outside of the XP SP3 issue). The 750i only has 4 SATA ports , so caution there if you have more then 4 devices. So far people are having good success with the Q6600's on the 750i, I have only tried OC my E8400, with very good success on factory air non the less (til my TRUE comes in). Anyway remember you can always use the Step Up program if you find yourself wanting more.

Nazzzcar

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldnapalm View Post
what exactly is a sata device other then the Hard Drive? is the cd burner and cd rom things sata? cuase if so then thats 3 things...?
Optical drives come in both SATA and IDE. Which one do you have?

The 750i also has only one Ethernet port with the 780i has two.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
If you wanna get technical about it the 780i does offer better performance, but its not worth spending the extra $50 on if you are on a budget.
could you be specific about what performance is better im under the same cercumstances as OP'er and would like to know exact performance difference.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfire99
View Post

could you be specific about what performance is better im under the same cercumstances as OP'er and would like to know exact performance difference.

there is non, actually from what iv seen lately the 750i ftw does a better job of ocing quads

#17 ·
750i for 3.0 ghz..

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildfire99 View Post
There are only two differences as far as performance. First is the number of PCIE lanes. The 750i only supports 1 x16, 1 x8, and 2 x1 simultaeous connctions. The 780i can handle 3 x16 + multiple others (total of 62 lanes) at once. This gives more performance for SLI, plus gives him the option of SLI + raid controller in the future. However, unless the OP is running an extremely high resolution, the performance difference isn't going to make or break his gameplay.

The second difference is the memory controller. The 780i can, on average, overclock memory to a higher stable bandwidth than the 750i. However, this difference will only come into play when reaching for the absolute highest speeds (1200MHz+), so unless the OP plans on buying some expensive DDR2 it won't matter. And if he wants to spend that kind of money on ram, he might as well just go for a 790i+DDR3.

Well I guess there is a third, which is that the dual gigabit cards on the 780i support load balancing which means that he can team them up for a 2Gb/s connection. But that is really useless in 99% of homes.

And the 780i will be able to OC a Q6700 to 3GHz, that is certain. The only catch is you might end up hitting an FSB hole on the way, which makes it more difficult. The solution is to run at an extra high FSB, past the hole, and just drop the multiplier to get the speed that is stable.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
There are only two differences as far as performance. First is the number of PCIE lanes. The 750i only supports 1 x16, 1 x8, and 2 x1 simultaeous connctions. The 780i can handle 3 x16 + multiple others (total of 62 lanes) at once. This gives more performance for SLI, plus gives him the option of SLI + raid controller in the future. However, unless the OP is running an extremely high resolution, the performance difference isn't going to make or break his gameplay.

The second difference is the memory controller. The 780i can, on average, overclock memory to a higher stable bandwidth than the 750i. However, this difference will only come into play when reaching for the absolute highest speeds (1200MHz+), so unless the OP plans on buying some expensive DDR2 it won't matter. And if he wants to spend that kind of money on ram, he might as well just go for a 790i+DDR3.

Well I guess there is a third, which is that the dual gigabit cards on the 780i support load balancing which means that he can team them up for a 2Gb/s connection. But that is really useless in 99% of homes.

And the 780i will be able to OC a Q6700 to 3GHz, that is certain. The only catch is you might end up hitting an FSB hole on the way, which makes it more difficult. The solution is to run at an extra high FSB, past the hole, and just drop the multiplier to get the speed that is stable.

You are wrong , get your facts strait, we are not discussing a regular 750i, we are discussing a evga 750 i FTW, which is totally different, its not a reference board, it has full 16 x 16 in sli with 2.0 support.You "might" have some ground to stand on about the memory controller but I'm running 1066 ram at 1100 and have had no issues, and i would bet that it would handle 1200 ddr2 just fine.\\

nope your wrong about the memoy to , i just checked corsair and the 750iftw supports TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF 1250mhz ddr2

#20 ·
they both have the same nb so same mem controller, it is possible the 80 gets the cream from the top bins and the 50 gets those that just pass but nonthe less they are the same. its the sb where the main differences are.

if 50 will fill your needs then the extra money spent on the 80 is just wasted in truth as you wont be using it.

i thought the 750 ftw was a ref design just with uprated caps, regs and cooling?

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by marsey99 View Post

i thought the 750 ftw was a ref design just with uprated caps, regs and cooling?
well it is , but from what i understand that is what makes it a non ref board

reference board = exactly the same= 800 mem support, pci-e 16x1 and 8x1

non reference "FTW"= solid caps, 1066+ mem support, 6 phase power, pci-e 16x16 in sli 2.0 support, and HD 7.1 audio

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus
View Post

You are wrong , get your facts strait, we are not discussing a regular 750i, we are discussing a evga 750 i FTW, which is totally different, its not a reference board, it has full 16 x 16 in sli with 2.0 support.You "might" have some ground to stand on about the memory controller but I'm running 1066 ram at 1100 and have had no issues, and i would bet that it would handle 1200 ddr2 just fine.

My bad about not paying attention to the FTW thing. I didn't realize that they had unlocked the nForce200 chip on any 750i motherboards. The southbridge is definitely still missing some PCIe lanes though, so at least I'm not ENTIRELY wrong

Besides, I WAS trying to argue that the 780i isn't worthit, so thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.