Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading buddies machine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading buddies machine

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
So my bud has decided to upgrade his aging system and i decided to use the same proc i have. He currently has:

Intel 650 (3.4GHz Prescott)
Intel D915GAG Motherboard
4x 512MB Mushkin Cheap DDR3200
eVGA 7600GT
1x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD
1x 250GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD
1x 120GB WD HDD
Thermaltake 470W PSU

Budget is limited and i figure the GFX card is fine for now so im looking at just upgrading his CPU/MOBO/RAM. He has a microATX case and wants to stick with it (doesnt like the size of a ATX case).

What im currently thinking of upgrading to:

Same CPU as i just purchased.

Intel E8400 Wolfdale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

non-intel mobo:

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128085

Cheapy DDR800

Corsair XMS2 2GB (4x 512MB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145040

Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions that i should look at instead of upgrading to what i listed above.

Thanks
post #2 of 11
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale
Mobo: Foxconn G33M (same chipset, as reliable, 64.99 after MIR)
RAM: mushkin 2GB (better than 4x512MB)

Total: $262.97

Consider SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 512MB for later GFX card upgrade (as long as his PSU has 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector)

Total: $387.96 (after MIR $342)
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi44 View Post
So my bud has decided to upgrade his aging system and i decided to use the same proc i have. He currently has:

Intel 650 (3.4GHz Prescott)
Intel D915GAG Motherboard
4x 512MB Mushkin Cheap DDR3200
eVGA 7600GT
1x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD
1x 250GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD
1x 120GB WD HDD
Thermaltake 470W PSU

Budget is limited and i figure the GFX card is fine for now so im looking at just upgrading his CPU/MOBO/RAM. He has a microATX case and wants to stick with it (doesnt like the size of a ATX case).

What im currently thinking of upgrading to:

Same CPU as i just purchased.

Intel E8400 Wolfdale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

non-intel mobo:

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128085

Cheapy DDR800

Corsair XMS2 2GB (4x 512MB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145040

Just wondered if you guys had any suggestions that i should look at instead of upgrading to what i listed above.

Thanks

just get 2x1gb for the same price of 4x512mb's u can get the 2gb set for.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale
Mobo: Foxconn G33M (same chipset, as reliable, 64.99 after MIR)
RAM: mushkin 2GB (better than 4x512MB)

Total: $262.97

Consider SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 512MB for later GFX card upgrade (as long as his PSU has 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector)

Total: $387.96 (after MIR $342)

Reading reviews on the GFX card there seem to be heat problems. any other suggestions?
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi44 View Post
Reading reviews on the GFX card there seem to be heat problems. any other suggestions?
linky/proof plz?
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
linky/proof plz?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102715


there are several people saying the card is great but runs hot. He system is just air cooled without really good ventilation...
post #7 of 11
ya so set fan to 100% or get a dual slot version
Coeus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 940 Msi 970a-g46 2x xfx 7970 G Skill NQ PC1333 4x2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.9 160gb need Windows 10 64bit Sharp 32inch 
Power
Thermaltake 1350 
  hide details  
Reply
Coeus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 940 Msi 970a-g46 2x xfx 7970 G Skill NQ PC1333 4x2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.9 160gb need Windows 10 64bit Sharp 32inch 
Power
Thermaltake 1350 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi44 View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102715


there are several people saying the card is great but runs hot. He system is just air cooled without really good ventilation...
I don't rely on these newegg amature reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/4wjv6c

Quote:
The heatsink and fan setup on the Sapphire HD 3850 is designed as a single slot cooling solution, unlike some of the other ones on the market that take up two expansion slot brackets. The fan on this card was surprisingly quiet as I could not hear it over any of my other fans I had running in my case, which is unlike any other video card fan I have had in my system.
anyway, check these alternatives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103050

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130334
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
I don't rely on these newegg amature reviews.
lol i was scrolling down and already thinking of saying the same thing. QFT.

Only about 1-2% of reviews on newegg hold any real truth. A lot of people are dumb enough to do things like buying a 10/100 LAN card just because it costs $2 less than a gigabit card, and then they come back to complain about how its so slow they are never going to buy that brand again!
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
Only about 1-2% of reviews on newegg hold any real truth. A lot of people are dumb enough to do things like buying a 10/100 LAN card just because it costs $2 less than a gigabit card, and then they come back to complain about how its so slow they are never going to buy that brand again!
lol , or that guy who was ranting about corsair because their ddr2 stick couldn't fit in his old ddr1 mobo slot.
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Under-Utilized
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570K Z77-D3H XFX RX480 RS Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
HyperX 3K 120GB 3TB Storage Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
24" CFG70  SideWinder X6 550 Watt Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer eXactMat X Objective2 +ODAC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading buddies machine