Overclock.net banner

Extremely Low Temps: X2 5000 BE

1K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  thlnk3r 
#1 ·
Hardware Monitor is giving me a reading of 4C min on my CPU core temp. Max of 11C @ idle. Thats just a few degrees above freezing. How is that possible on air cooling.

I have heard the Brisbane cores were known for false temp readings. Could that be the cause or is my cooling setup that good?

#3 ·
What are some other good programs?

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whe3ls View Post
use core temp and brisbane are known to have bad temp sensors
I'm getting the same results in Core Temp. Oh well. Its not a big deal. I'm sure the temps are still pretty low regardless. 4C just seemed rediculous.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitphire View Post
Hardware Monitor is giving me a reading of 4C min on my CPU core temp. Max of 11C @ idle. Thats just a few degrees above freezing. How is that possible on air cooling.

I have heard the Brisbane cores were known for false temp readings. Could that be the cause or is my cooling setup that good?
Spitphire, since the Brisbane core is known for these "unusual temperature" readings I doubt you'll ever find out the true core temp. If you had a infrared thermometer you could check the HSF temp but still that wouldn't be accurate. As long as you have a decent cooler and good case airflow then you should be fine. Don't forget the right amount of thermal compound makes a difference.

Good luck

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi
View Post

What are your ambient temperatures?

When it dropped to 4C, the temp in the room was about 65F.

#13 ·
Yeah those Brisbanes have faulty temp sensors 95% of the time.
But that doesn't mean its running hot.
My 90nm runs @ 30c idle 37c full load on stock cooler with AS5 and 1.35V

#14 ·
It is not a faulty temp sensor, but it is an incorrect temp reading.
Brisbanes got this rep when they first came out and the current BIOS did not know how to read the 65nm technology. BIOS updates took care of that.
Are you sure your MoBo supports that specific CPU?
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...t.php?S_ID=310 (I don't know the part # for the 5000+ BE)

Do you have the most current BIOS? What is the temp in BIOS?

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

It is not a faulty temp sensor, but it is an incorrect temp reading.
Brisbanes got this rep when they first came out and the current BIOS did not know how to read the 65nm technology. BIOS updates took care of that.
Are you sure your MoBo supports that specific CPU?
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/...t.php?S_ID=310 (I don't know the part # for the 5000+ BE)

Do you have the most current BIOS? What is the temp in BIOS?

Temp in the bios for cpu will be a motherboard mounted sensor on the socket.
The truth is that most brisbanes have faulty sensors

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127 View Post
Temp in the bios for cpu will be a motherboard mounted sensor on the socket.
The truth is that most brisbanes have faulty sensors
Not to be an ass, but you just contradicted yourself. If the temp sensor is in the Mobo, so how is it a faulty sensor with the Brisbane?
It is a BIOS issue.
I have installed 5 Brisbanes in 4 different brand boards (2 EPOX, 1 ECS, 1 MSI) and they all read correctly, the Epox and ECS both needed a BIOS update to do so though.
You must make sure your MoBo supports the Exact CPU your using, or you will get incorrect readings.
Also, from what I remember, the temp readings when the Brisbane first came out was reading High, not low.

#17 ·
If you lick the processor before you put it in, it drops your temps by at least 10 degrees c.

On a more serious note, bios tends to tell the lower of the two core temperatures. Checked with OCCT and that's what it does.

My CPU would idle at 17 degrees c with ambient of 70. With voltages up, i'm sitting at 28/30 idle celcius.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
Not to be an ass, but you just contradicted yourself. If the temp sensor is in the Mobo, so how is it a faulty sensor with the Brisbane?
It is a BIOS issue.
I have installed 5 Brisbanes in 4 different brand boards (2 EPOX, 1 ECS, 1 MSI) and they all read correctly, the Epox and ECS both needed a BIOS update to do so though.
You must make sure your MoBo supports the Exact CPU your using, or you will get incorrect readings.
Also, from what I remember, the temp readings when the Brisbane first came out was reading High, not low.
Agreed, the motherboard needs a BIOS update to get the proper temperature. If you drop the CPU into a newer mobo, you should the correct value.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Agreed, the motherboard needs a BIOS update to get the proper temperature. If you drop the CPU into a newer mobo, you should the correct value.

Duckie, that's interesting because almost ever post containing a Brisbane OC always has off temp readings during idle and load. Most of those individuals have brand new boards and are almost always running a newer BIOS version. So I'm a little perplexed if it's just a simple BIOS update to fix the temperature issues

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r
View Post

Duckie, that's interesting because almost ever post containing a Brisbane OC always has off temp readings during idle and load. Most of those individuals have brand new boards and are almost always running a newer BIOS version. So I'm a little perplexed if it's just a simple BIOS update to fix the temperature issues

I've seen a few times where a "new" CPU won't be detected properly on a motherboard. I have an Athlon on an ECS mobo and it reports 25C idle/load/always. It's a BIOS issue there.

We can assume AMD didn't decide to mess around with the sensor just for the Brisbane or any other core. We can also assume that AMD knows how to build a temp sensor by now. Being the case, it is most likely a motherboard issue over a CPU issue. While not ruling out the CPU, I say it tends to be more the motherboard for these temp reading issues.

#21 ·
my proc used to register reasonable temps until i pushed it too far one day (fooling around on suicide runs)

now i idle at 9-11C and load at 30C, lol

but i know it's in the low 50's during orthos from before my temp sensor broke

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

I've seen a few times where a "new" CPU won't be detected properly on a motherboard. I have an Athlon on an ECS mobo and it reports 25C idle/load/always. It's a BIOS issue there.

We can assume AMD didn't decide to mess around with the sensor just for the Brisbane or any other core. We can also assume that AMD knows how to build a temp sensor by now. Being the case, it is most likely a motherboard issue over a CPU issue. While not ruling out the CPU, I say it tends to be more the motherboard for these temp reading issues.

Duckie, interesting. I'll keep my eye out and suggest a BIOS update to resolve those issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.