Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › Is itpossible to share files/folders/printers between a PC & MAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is itpossible to share files/folders/printers between a PC & MAC?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Is it possible to share files/folders/printers between a PC & MAC? I keep getting a "Windows cannot access" error..
post #2 of 9
It is, but it's a PAIN in the ass. Although I don't know how, I'm just giving a heads up.
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
It depends. Mac uses its own file system, so you can't make them communicate very easily. to share a printer I have mine plugged in through the router so all the computers can access it. I know you can share some files, but i have no idea how to do it.
Red Venom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6700 @ 3.5ghz MSI p6n Platinum EVGA 8800 gts 320mb @ 620/920 4gb (4x1) ballistix tracers @ 945mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
400gb wd, 250gb seagate, 640gb wd black samaung dvd writer Vista Ultimate 32bit (64 bit en route) 22" samsung syncmaster 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek eclipse red edition Corsair tx750 Coolermaster 690 logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Venom
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e6700 @ 3.5ghz MSI p6n Platinum EVGA 8800 gts 320mb @ 620/920 4gb (4x1) ballistix tracers @ 945mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
400gb wd, 250gb seagate, 640gb wd black samaung dvd writer Vista Ultimate 32bit (64 bit en route) 22" samsung syncmaster 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek eclipse red edition Corsair tx750 Coolermaster 690 logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
My school server works perfectly between macs and PCs, for printing and file sharing, so I know that it can be done somehow. I bet it isn't that complicated, although I don't know the answer myself.
X99 Glory Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5930K @ 4.4GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme MSI Lightning 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2407WFP Rev. A02 Ducky Legend Black w/ White Backlit Vortex Caps EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Primo White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Func. Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Glory Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5930K @ 4.4GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme MSI Lightning 290X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2407WFP Rev. A02 Ducky Legend Black w/ White Backlit Vortex Caps EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Primo White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Func. Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
dang, i guess im going to have to purchase an airport express
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade007 View Post
dang, i guess im going to have to purchase an airport express
No! You don't need to do this! Although I think Airport is a great product, you don't need one to share.

Ok, I'm going to go through a couple of scenarios. I'm going to assume you're using XP simply because vista is harder to get working with OS X and I couldn't do it lol

1. Sharing files:

A. Enable file/folder sharing on both computers

B1. If using Leopard, go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall and enable manual setting of blocking/allowing applications.

B2. If using Tiger... You need to disable "Stealth Mode" in the Firewall. (this makes it easier, although you can get by without it by following another process; ask me if you want to take the other route.)

C1. Now you should be able to see your windows computer on the sidebar of a Finder window in Leopard and in Network in Tiger.

C2. If not... Then you can go to Finder (click on your desktop or something), go to Go on the Menu (top) Bar, go to "Connect to Server," and type:

smb://192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the windows computer's IP local IP address. If you do this, you should get a prompt asking you which of your PC's specified shared folders you want to access.

Sharing Printers: I'm going to assume you've set allow/block to Manual in Leopard and Disable Stealth in Tiger (the easy route).

Leopard: You should be able to go to System Preferences > Print & Fax > +. And then there should be a browser whereupon you can browse the windows computer in "windows computers" or something of the sort. You should then be able to navigate from there; it's very easy. Hopefully you have the required drivers already installed; mine were. Oh, and once you get this working, open up the Print Queue for that printer, right-click its icon, and choose "Auto close." This will close the icon after a print has been finished. I don't know why this isn't selected by default...

Tiger: Should be just about the same process as Leopard

Sharing Printers the harder way: This assumes you have "Only allow essential programs" selected on the Firewall in Leopard and "Enable Stealth Mode" in Tiger.

Leopard: open up a browser and type 127.0.0.1:631. This opens CUPS, the Common UNIX Printing System, your printer manager. Now go to Administration and Add Printer. Select the names you would like to see when you look at the printer under a menu or something. This name is for you. Go to next, then choose the device "Windows Printer via SAMBA." Click next, and in the field on the following page, you should enter exactly as follows (minus the brackets []):

smb://[windows workgroup name]/[windows computer's name]/[printer's name as can be seen in Control Panel]

Short, easier-to-see version: smb://[workgroup]/[computer]/[printer]

Next, choose the maker of your printer, and then on the next page the model of the printer. Hopefully yours is detected by default. If not, hopefully you can get the PPD files off the printer's disk! After you hit next on this last step, you'll be prompted for a username and password. I can't remember which is which, but you are to enter either your short name or full name and then password. So if your name was John Smith, and your Home folder is called john, it would be one of the following:

User Name: John Smith
Password: *****

or

User Name: john
Password: *****

For Tiger, it is one of those two, and for Leopard is the other. I can't remember which is which, but I just know that they're different. There's no harm in entering the wrong one; simply enter the correct one next time.

Tiger: So for Tiger, the process for "hard mode" is the exact same as for Leopard, except the username is the "other" compared to what it would have been for Leopard.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
No! You don't need to do this! Although I think Airport is a great product, you don't need one to share.

Ok, I'm going to go through a couple of scenarios. I'm going to assume you're using XP simply because vista is harder to get working with OS X and I couldn't do it lol

1. Sharing files:

A. Enable file/folder sharing on both computers

B1. If using Leopard, go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall and enable manual setting of blocking/allowing applications.

B2. If using Tiger... You need to disable "Stealth Mode" in the Firewall. (this makes it easier, although you can get by without it by following another process; ask me if you want to take the other route.)

C1. Now you should be able to see your windows computer on the sidebar of a Finder window in Leopard and in Network in Tiger.

C2. If not... Then you can go to Finder (click on your desktop or something), go to Go on the Menu (top) Bar, go to "Connect to Server," and type:

smb://192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the windows computer's IP local IP address. If you do this, you should get a prompt asking you which of your PC's specified shared folders you want to access.

Sharing Printers: I'm going to assume you've set allow/block to Manual in Leopard and Disable Stealth in Tiger (the easy route).

Leopard: You should be able to go to System Preferences > Print & Fax > +. And then there should be a browser whereupon you can browse the windows computer in "windows computers" or something of the sort. You should then be able to navigate from there; it's very easy. Hopefully you have the required drivers already installed; mine were. Oh, and once you get this working, open up the Print Queue for that printer, right-click its icon, and choose "Auto close." This will close the icon after a print has been finished. I don't know why this isn't selected by default...

Tiger: Should be just about the same process as Leopard

Sharing Printers the harder way: This assumes you have "Only allow essential programs" selected on the Firewall in Leopard and "Enable Stealth Mode" in Tiger.

Leopard: open up a browser and type 127.0.0.1:631. This opens CUPS, the Common UNIX Printing System, your printer manager. Now go to Administration and Add Printer. Select the names you would like to see when you look at the printer under a menu or something. This name is for you. Go to next, then choose the device "Windows Printer via SAMBA." Click next, and in the field on the following page, you should enter exactly as follows (minus the brackets []):

smb://[windows workgroup name]/[windows computer's name]/[printer's name as can be seen in Control Panel]

Short, easier-to-see version: smb://[workgroup]/[computer]/[printer]

Next, choose the maker of your printer, and then on the next page the model of the printer. Hopefully yours is detected by default. If not, hopefully you can get the PPD files off the printer's disk! After you hit next on this last step, you'll be prompted for a username and password. I can't remember which is which, but you are to enter either your short name or full name and then password. So if your name was John Smith, and your Home folder is called john, it would be one of the following:

User Name: John Smith
Password: *****

or

User Name: john
Password: *****

For Tiger, it is one of those two, and for Leopard is the other. I can't remember which is which, but I just know that they're different. There's no harm in entering the wrong one; simply enter the correct one next time.

Tiger: So for Tiger, the process for "hard mode" is the exact same as for Leopard, except the username is the "other" compared to what it would have been for Leopard.
my laptop will be running Vista and another PC is running XP, but i need the printer shared for my laptop as well, thanks though
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade007 View Post
my laptop will be running Vista and another PC is running XP, but i need the printer shared for my laptop as well, thanks though
Hmm... Well the above is assuming that the printer is connected to XP. vista does some whack thing where it doesn't allow you to share anything without entering user/pw, and it took me a while to figure out how to get that working (even between my dad's XP laptop and vista ). I don't think I ever got printing working between OSX and vista.
post #9 of 9
Don't ask me how, but I recall setting up an old PC as a router in Linux with multiple NICs where as you should be able to manage most any thing with it but I don't know jack yet about Linux.
Just food for thought.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › Is itpossible to share files/folders/printers between a PC & MAC?