Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3d]Dual vs Quad Scaling in Games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Guru3d]Dual vs Quad Scaling in Games - Page 8

post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
In any case, you cannot generalize the eye as seeing any number of frames per sec as different parts of the eye "refresh" at different frequencies.

For example, look at a CRT screen directly, and then look at something else so that the CRT is at the side of your view.

Looking directly, you won't see the flicker or only see a little bit. Looking at it from the side, you'll clearly see the screen flickering.

This is because the eye has a higher concentration of rods in the sides. Rods are the parts that see motion.
The center has less rods and more of the thing-I-can't-remember that sees color.


Are you thinking of cones?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I stopped reading the review when they said <30FPS = Very Limited Gameplay.



Wrong on so many levels.. even 15FPS is playable.
are you kidding me? lol 15FPS is a waste of time, you cant fully enjoy at all at 30FPS, hence, very limited. for me at least. i need like a stable 40 - 50 frames to experience the game.
The Octagon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz w/1.29v eVGA x58 SLI 2x eVGA GTX260's SLI 3x2GB G-Skill @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2 x Western Digital 300GB - RAID 0 Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Samsung SyncMaster T220 22"/HP 19" LCD Corsair HX1000 
Case
Cooler Master Stacker 830 
  hide details  
Reply
The Octagon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz w/1.29v eVGA x58 SLI 2x eVGA GTX260's SLI 3x2GB G-Skill @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2 x Western Digital 300GB - RAID 0 Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Samsung SyncMaster T220 22"/HP 19" LCD Corsair HX1000 
Case
Cooler Master Stacker 830 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Incorrect. Google "how much fps can the eye see?" or "can the eye only see 24 fps?" or something like that.

Also, you use the NTSC/ATSC's 29.97 fps as a basis for your argument. How would you explain PAL's 25 fps, then?

In any case, you cannot generalize the eye as seeing any number of frames per sec as different parts of the eye "refresh" at different frequencies.

For example, look at a CRT screen directly, and then look at something else so that the CRT is at the side of your view.

Looking directly, you won't see the flicker or only see a little bit. Looking at it from the side, you'll clearly see the screen flickering.

This is because the eye has a higher concentration of rods in the sides. Rods are the parts that see motion.
The center has less rods and more of the thing-I-can't-remember that sees color.


Because of this, some animals can see more "fps" than we can.
For example, you could be sitting on an airplane and see at a hawk flying below.
While you may see a blur, another hawk sitting on the plane's wing (hypothetically) could see the other hawk clearly.


Video appears fluid because of motion blur. Games don't have motion blur, and those that do (like Crysis) can stutter or drop to low FPS *while* simulating the motion blur, so it doesn't actually solve anything.

You would need a decently high FPS for motion blur to appear real. Otherwise, you'll just be irritated at not being able to see anything.

I can easily agree with your refresh rate arguement. on a crt screen at anything below around 70-75hz bothers me even head on when I look at it at an angle it is even worse.
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 80
It should be noted that the value of 29.97 frames is an AVERAGE. There will be people who can detect higher FPS levels naturally, through better eyesight.

Also, as we all know, humans get better at things with experience; someone who spends a great deal of time playing PC games will tend to be able to detect higher frame rates than someone who does not.

Combine above-average eyesight and a lot of time staring at a monitor, and this number for detectable frame rate can increase quite a bit.
post #75 of 80
Wow, they missed the greatest CPU killing game out there; Supreme Commander.

Here is my test.

I run Ortho's on all cores, and can play COD4 just fine, no discernable difference.

I try running Supreme Commander with BOINC (F@H sort of program, stress's 10% less than Ortho's does) and my frame rate drops for something like 30 FPS, down to probably 10 - 15.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D T7100 1.8 ghz (undervolted) ummm... Dell Intel X3100 2 x 1gb 667mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Fujitsu 7200 RPM 120gb CD-RW/DVD dual boot Vista business 1440x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionh View Post
It should be noted that the value of 29.97 frames is an AVERAGE. There will be people who can detect higher FPS levels naturally, through better eyesight.

Also, as we all know, humans get better at things with experience; someone who spends a great deal of time playing PC games will tend to be able to detect higher frame rates than someone who does not.

Combine above-average eyesight and a lot of time staring at a monitor, and this number for detectable frame rate can increase quite a bit.
29.97 is not the average. that is what is used with NTSC programming.

all that number comes from is what tv's run at here in the states. doesn't mean that is all we can see.

if you understand a little of how TV's and eyes work you would know that the only reason tv's look so smooth at that frame rate is all due to them having motion blur.
that blur around the edges make it to where the mind will see it as solid motion.

without that motion blur and instead having hard images you don't see fluid motion. instead you see the lag there and notice that each frame has issues.

so your info there is quite wrong there and based only upon what speed broadcast are not in truth of what the eyes are capable of seeing.
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
compy jr
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
xeon 3350 at 3.6ghz Asus P5k-dlx HIS 7970 @ 1150/1900 Lots of them.  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
vista ultimate x64/xp sp3 compaq 21" junk dell keyboard corsair tx850m 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
upgraded metal box You don't need a mouse Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Incorrect. Google "how much fps can the eye see?" or "can the eye only see 24 fps?" or something like that.

Also, you use the NTSC/ATSC's 29.97 fps as a basis for your argument. How would you explain PAL's 25 fps, then?

In any case, you cannot generalize the eye as seeing any number of frames per sec as different parts of the eye "refresh" at different frequencies.

For example, look at a CRT screen directly, and then look at something else so that the CRT is at the side of your view.

Looking directly, you won't see the flicker or only see a little bit. Looking at it from the side, you'll clearly see the screen flickering.

This is because the eye has a higher concentration of rods in the sides. Rods are the parts that see motion.
The center has less rods and more of the thing-I-can't-remember that sees color.


Because of this, some animals can see more "fps" than we can.
For example, you could be sitting on an airplane and see at a hawk flying below.
While you may see a blur, another hawk sitting on the plane's wing (hypothetically) could see the other hawk clearly.


Video appears fluid because of motion blur. Games don't have motion blur, and those that do (like Crysis) can stutter or drop to low FPS *while* simulating the motion blur, so it doesn't actually solve anything.

You would need a decently high FPS for motion blur to appear real. Otherwise, you'll just be irritated at not being able to see anything.
Never once in my life have i heard that rods can see motion while cones do not. Do you have some type of evidence for that?

From what I've been taught, the only difference between rods and cones is that, aside from collecting data about color, rods are better designed for nightvision. In fact, your eye is saturated with rods too but the rods main chemical, rhodopson, is broken down by light.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 80
if ur gettin around 20 fps and lower in a first person shooter game, ur probably going to experience stuttering and that makes it an unpleasant exp. fps drops = death and these drops happen everytime there is enemy o_o
Standard
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i4670k Asus Z87-PRO Gigabyte Windforce HD7950 Corsair Vengeance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB SSD 1 TB Samsung 7200rpm LG 22X DVD Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit AOC LED and HP LCD Leopold 200FCR Black OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rosewill Blackbone Kinzu Steelseries QCK Xonar DX with Superlux HD 681 EVO 
  hide details  
Reply
Standard
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i4670k Asus Z87-PRO Gigabyte Windforce HD7950 Corsair Vengeance Pro 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
128GB SSD 1 TB Samsung 7200rpm LG 22X DVD Burner Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit AOC LED and HP LCD Leopold 200FCR Black OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rosewill Blackbone Kinzu Steelseries QCK Xonar DX with Superlux HD 681 EVO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitd_kim View Post
if ur gettin around 20 fps and lower in a first person shooter game, ur probably going to experience stuttering and that makes it an unpleasant exp. fps drops = death and these drops happen everytime there is enemy o_o
wake the dead?
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 80
Yeah, because there is really a 'border' at 3.2 ghz?

*looks at 4.28 ghz cpu*

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition @ 3.0Ghz Gigabyte mATX 785G? HD3200 IGP *Passively cooled* 2x1GB WINTEC Crap, 2x2GB Patriot | DDR2 800 1.9v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital AAKS Series 500GB Windows 7 Enterprise x64 Custom Cooked for SPEED Samsung 58" B650 1080p Plasma Logitech DiNovo Mini 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone 350Watt Silent PSU Cooler Master 590 Logitech DiNovo Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3d]Dual vs Quad Scaling in Games