Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › OK I'm in a predicament. What should I do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OK I'm in a predicament. What should I do?

Poll Results: What should I do?

 
  • 44% (4)
    Return the GTS240, just run the loop with the GTX360
  • 55% (5)
    Put both rads in the loop
9 Total Votes  
post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have a brand new GTS240 rad and a GTX240 rad on the way. I'm returning the GTX240 because I just got an amazing deal on a GTX360 at MicroCenter for $72. So now I have a brand new GTX360 and a GTS240. My loop will have a Q6600 in it that I plan to OC to the max and a 8800GTS. I have the Fuzion v2 with quad chamber and the EK-FC88 GTS full cover block. Also the MCP655 variable speed pumb and DD Bay Res. Suggestions would be great.
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 5/17/08 at 12:32pm
post #2 of 12
I think you can run just one and be fine unless you plan on taking that chip to 4+ GHz.
Low Tide
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8GB G. Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows X Samsung T240HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky DK9008G2 Red Corsair TX850W V1 Corsair Carbide 300R X-Fi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
Low Tide
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8GB G. Skill 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows X Samsung T240HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Ducky DK9008G2 Red Corsair TX850W V1 Corsair Carbide 300R X-Fi XtremeGamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttsol View Post
I think you can run just one and be fine unless you plan on taking that chip to 4+ GHz.
I do, hense the phrase OCing to the max. Btw, the GTX will be mounted inside my case on the top. I would be mounting the GTS240 underneath the bottom if I do run it.
post #4 of 12
The 360 GTX should cool it fine, the GTS is pretty restrictive to flow so you might be better off with just a GTX in your loop...

Maybe try it with just a GTX to start, after its settled in for a while cut the GTS into it also and see if it helps your temp's any...

I just got a 240 GTS awhile back to play with, haven't used it yet, but just blowing through it you can tell its really restrictive...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
The 360 GTX should cool it fine, the GTS is pretty restrictive to flow so you might be better off with just a GTX in your loop...

Maybe try it with just a GTX to start, after its settled in for a while cut the GTS into it also and see if it helps your temp's any...

I just got a 240 GTS awhile back to play with, haven't used it yet, but just blowing through it you can tell its really restrictive...
Sounds like a plan. The reason I had asked was because my last build was a e6420 (not nearly as hot as a Q6600) and an 8800GT in the loop. I had a PA120.3 cooling that loop with very low speed fans. My temps were good but not spectacular. I figured since the PA is better than the GTX and the Quad is much hotter than a C2D, I would need the extra heat dump that the GTS would offer.

Hey Ira, how would these 133CFM Scythe Ultra Kaze's 120x38mm fans work with the GTX?
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 5/17/08 at 1:56pm
post #6 of 12
im never a fan of due loops but this could be a good case for one .. gts loop for the gpu and gtx for the cpu
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post
Sounds like a plan. The reason I had asked was because my last build was a e6420 (not nearly as hot as a Q6600) and an 8800GT in the loop. I had a PA120.3 cooling that loop with very low speed fans. My temps were good but not spectacular. I figured since the PA is better than the GTX and the Quad is much hotter than a C2D, I would need the extra heat dump that the GTS would offer.

Hey Ira, how would these 133CFM Scythe Ultra Kaze's 120x38mm fans work with the GTX?
Yeah I would just try it and see how it does, thats what I would do anyway..

Actually a GTX beats a PA with 47+ cfm fans on it....360 GTX Beats PA.3 w/47cfm Fans

Those Kaze 120x38mm would be good fans to use...What are you going to put them on a controller? I've not heard how well they work on a controller yet...

These work great on my 480 on shrouds in a push-pull, I have over 600W on it with the TEC and it cools it really well....115cfm Pana.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 4545Mhz*9 w/1.29V DFI DK P45 XFX 8800 GS D9GKX & D9GMH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
2x Seagate 160 Perp. RD-1 2x Asus Vista Premium Corsair HX 620 
Case
Open Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Yes I'm gonna try them on a controller. I guess I'll try it with just the GTX 360 for now but I'll keep my GTS 240 handy.
post #9 of 12
i have them on my T-balancer. they dont make any noise due to the PWM which is really awesome
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 (muffy) View Post
i have them on my T-balancer. they dont make any noise due to the PWM which is really awesome
What is that? Can you explain a little more?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › OK I'm in a predicament. What should I do?