Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Veteran PC Users..Intel Chips vs AMD's - an observation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Veteran PC Users..Intel Chips vs AMD's - an observation - Page 3

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
i can tell you clock for clock my intel rig opens up files faster then my friends 5000+ BE setup. i notice lag on his rig and none on mine. and if my computer ever takes 2 seconds to open a program its a windows problem not my processor.
Agreed... Although I haven't used an AMD since the late K6-2s... It always seems to be a software problem.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 31
On a side note: The CPU doesn't actually play much of a role in terms of opening files... it's mostly the hard drive(s) and southbridge (HDD controller) that matter.

The ULI southbridge on my old A8N32-SLI Deluxe is still one of the best I ever encountered. Pretty darn fast read times. The ICH7R southbridge on the DFI Infinity 975X/G definitly had to admit defeat. Only when Intel released the ICH8R did it outperform the ULI...

So actually, the motherboard probably made a difference, and not necessarily the CPU.

Right now, I have an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi and an Asus P5N32-E SLI. There is quite a difference in performance between the southbridges (esp. in RAID), with the P5K being the clear winner.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 31
I seriously have felt the same thing. Really. Things just opened more smooth on the 5600+x2 I had. Problem might be that my windows is operating of a hard drive that still thinks I have an AMD cpu and a Msi Neo7 motherboard. Maybe you have that problem too? Linux seems to run reallllly fast on my intel. That's cuz it's a fresh install.
Game
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Asus Hero VII MSI R9 390 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Crucial MX200 Some big aircooler Ubuntu 16.04 and Win 7 Dell P2314H and Dell P2714H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero TKL, CM Novatouch, Model M industrial  EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass  Razer Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QCK+ teac AI-101DA + Custom built speakers and sub, ... 
  hide details  
Reply
Game
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k Asus Hero VII MSI R9 390 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1TB Crucial MX200 Some big aircooler Ubuntu 16.04 and Win 7 Dell P2314H and Dell P2714H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero TKL, CM Novatouch, Model M industrial  EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Evolv Tempered Glass  Razer Mamba 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QCK+ teac AI-101DA + Custom built speakers and sub, ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha View Post
I seriously have felt the same thing. Really. Things just opened more smooth on the 5600+x2 I had. Problem might be that my windows is operating of a hard drive that still thinks I have an AMD cpu and a Msi Neo7 motherboard. Maybe you have that problem too? Linux seems to run reallllly fast on my intel. That's cuz it's a fresh install.
You switched from AMD to Intel without re-installing your OS? No wonder you get slow times. That's probably a really messed up bunch of mobo drivers. I am actually surprised you got it to boot.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 
Here's the thing - if were going to share our experiences here - it has to be with.. Identical (ENOUGH at least) RIGS, with PERFECT DISK file consistency.

I only did 4 such machines - but I did notice the trend throughout.

There are MANY other factors to take into consideration. - what you say isnt exactly true though chozart. Sure, the HDD is what takes the biggest chunk of the pie chart where the factors of file execution is concerned. But - c'mon, theres also the RAM, and chipset, CPU and mobo (which you mentioned).

Your observation has to be REALLY KEEN for this, but It can be more distinctly observed with the other GEN of chips.


Now that I think of it, I'm almost certain I've read something similar before. (shall have to fetch the links)

But I recall that this trend of thought has actually been documented by TOM's and sharkie's (at least) .

- the older gen of CPU's usually saw AMDs chips having higher floating points (as I was mentioning) And this is reflected in the higher scores in benches for AMD where office programs are concerned.

And considering that most office programs today are written with C+, with loads of DLLs that are... executables in their own right, perhaps that adds further credence to the notion.

All in all though - though the case may vary, I'm personally POSITIVE that this is so (WITH OLDER GEN CHIPS AT LEAST) I've noticed it toooo many times.


With newer Intel chips - the margin may be too small - or, considering that AMD's chips are behind right now - in INTEL's Favour
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 31
I stand with my opinion that the chipset is the likely 'culprit' here. That's the singlemost important factor imo next to the hard drive(s).

Also, it's the chipset that makes a 1 to 1 comparison nearly impossible, since it's hard to find a chipset that's identical for both AMD and Intel (even if they have the same name... )
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Here's the thing - if were going to share our experiences here - it has to be with.. Identical (ENOUGH at least) RIGS, with PERFECT DISK file consistency.

I only did 4 such machines - but I did notice the trend throughout.

There are MANY other factors to take into consideration. - what you say isnt exactly true though chozart. Sure, the HDD is what takes the biggest chunk of the pie chart where the factors of file execution is concerned. But - c'mon, theres also the RAM, and chipset, CPU and mobo (which you mentioned).

Your observation has to be REALLY KEEN for this, but It can be more distinctly observed with the other GEN of chips.


Now that I think of it, I'm almost certain I've read something similar before. (shall have to fetch the links)

But I recall that this trend of thought has actually been documented by TOM's and sharkie's (at least) .

- the older gen of CPU's usually saw AMDs chips having higher floating points (as I was mentioning) And this is reflected in the higher scores in benches for AMD where office programs are concerned.

And considering that most office programs today are written with C+, with loads of DLLs that are... executables in their own right, perhaps that adds further credence to the notion.

All in all though - though the case may vary, I'm personally POSITIVE that this is so (WITH OLDER GEN CHIPS AT LEAST) I've noticed it toooo many times.


With newer Intel chips - the margin may be too small - or, considering that AMD's chips are behind right now - in INTEL's Favour
you somewhat answerd your question earlier

you said amd seems to load to memory faster than intel

dont forget what amd has built into the chip that intel left on the motherboard



(onboard memory controller)
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Your observation has to be REALLY KEEN for this, but It can be more distinctly observed with the other GEN of chips.
Until you test an AMD and INTEL cpu on the exact same motherboard while using the same ram and hard drive, you can't deduce that its the CPU.


Second, what does the FPU have to do with starting a program? Loading an executable is done through a sequence of CONTROL commands. The main execution steps would be something like this:

- <you tell OS to load abc.exe>
- read header location of abc.exe from file system table
- check header of abc.exe to determine file size and locations of fragments
- allocate memory space for program
- read the file into memory
- if memory is fragmented and the file has to be broken up, insert "JUMP" statements where necessary
- load the address of the first block of memory containing that program
- execute program

I don't see anything from the FPU in there. If you are correct, it would be one of those steps that is slower. Most likely the memory access, since its built into AMD cpus and not intel.
Edited by Manyak - 5/17/08 at 10:42pm
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 31
I always thought the "lag" we're talking about was attributed to hard disk speed only. Of course when the data has been written to the RAM, it snaps right up.
Creeping Death
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 BE 3.7GHz Asus M3A78-T Visiontek HD4870 512MB 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD VelociRaptor 300GB Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2x Dell 2408WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave USB Antec Neopower 500W Modded Rocketfish Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
Creeping Death
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 BE 3.7GHz Asus M3A78-T Visiontek HD4870 512MB 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD VelociRaptor 300GB Sony DVD Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2x Dell 2408WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Wave USB Antec Neopower 500W Modded Rocketfish Logitech G9 
Mouse Pad
(none) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
I stand with my opinion that the chipset is the likely 'culprit' here. That's the singlemost important factor imo next to the hard drive(s).

Also, it's the chipset that makes a 1 to 1 comparison nearly impossible, since it's hard to find a chipset that's identical for both AMD and Intel (even if they have the same name... )
as Usual - your point holds weight
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
133MHZpow
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel P4 Soyo VIA P4M266  Nvidia 5200FX 1GB 
Optical DriveOSKeyboardPower
LiteOn DVD ROM Antix Linux Xtech Generic generic 400w 
CaseMouse
Compaq  BenQ optical 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Veteran PC Users..Intel Chips vs AMD's - an observation