Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [/.]66% Apple Market Share of High-End PCs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[/.]66% Apple Market Share of High-End PCs - Page 5

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerc View Post
High-end is not only based on components, there's a connotation of prestige associated with it. Just because something is overpriced doesn't disqualify it from high-end, in fact, true high-end products are all overpriced. Take a Porsche Cayman S, certainly a "high-end" car, is it overpriced? Yes, considering that you can come close to the same performance for over $20K less. Does that make it any less "high-end", I don't think so. Even in the high-end category there can be overpriced products. Take the Rolls-Royce Phantom, it certainly would be overpriced compared to a similarly outfitted BMW 760Li, by about $200K, but people still buy it. In the high-end category less people start buying things based on price-to-performance.

My point is that albeit $1000 isn't a very good bar to set for high-end PC (for us here at OCN at least), something being overpriced is not very relevant because price-to-performance play a much lesser role in the buying decision in the high-end category.
The key point that you are missing is that cost is not a good determination of a high-end PC. There is no way you can reason around it. Given this fact, stating that Apple has a 66% market share on high-end PCs is all but lying.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
Like I said - Apple simply doesn't provide options for the lower-end market. There are no apple computers with celerons or pentium dual-cores or ECS motherboards or anything like that. Also consider the fact that Macs don't come with adware like PC computers do (which subsidizes the prices on PCs).

The fact that they don't have anything for people looking for an absolute cheapie PC creates the illusion that apple products are somehow more expensive.

*Getting* more popular - maybe that's what they were trying to say. The numbers kinda say that, no? Like I said, 3 years ago, apple had 5% of the market share. Now they have what, 14%? That's a pretty significant leap, no?

That's exactly what I'm saying. People think Macs are expensive because they start high. There's nothing there for the lower-end.
Yeah, this is all surprising to me. I guess I have been wearing my "mac's suck and are overpriced" blinders for the last few years...

After thinking about this more, I wonder why apple doesn't offer cheaper notebook options--like something in the $600-1000 range like a lot of other notebook manufacturers do. Do you think it's a pride/prestige thing? Or maybe they feel that to make a cheaper laptop, they'd have to compromise on quality.

And yeah, a 5% to 14% market share jump is a huge difference. I wonder in that amount of time how the relative number of computer users changed--I wonder if it's a liner relationship between mac's market share and the number of computer users, or non-linear? I'm thinking it's nonlinear, and more and more people are choosing mac's over other notebooks. Anyhoo, after understanding the article now, I find this all quite interesting. I wonder how the crappy economic status of our country is going to affect Mac's notebook sales. Likely it won't at all since the upper-middle class and up will still likely be able to afford them, lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 68
I know most of you hate macs. But the fact remains that for a 65 yr old who doesn't understand what spyware is, the mac is a better offering.

Macs don't come with bloatware, programs installed on mac do not add themselves to the startup file, OSX is a more stable operating system than Vista.

And while a mac does cost more, let's get real. No one actually buys those budget laptops you see advertised on dell.com. By the time your done customizing or by the time the sales rep is done upselling to you, its $900.

I've had the same strawberry iMac running OS 8.6 for... 8 some odd years now? It still gets online to check e-mail about as fast as my sig rig.
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
Reply
My First Build
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 940 Biostar 790GX A2+ Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 2x2GB Dominators Stock Clocks 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SAMSUNG 840 SSD 128GB Windows 7 (64 bit) HP w2207 Corsair 750W 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitech G5 On Board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I know most of you hate macs. But the fact remains that for a 65 yr old who doesn't understand what spyware is, the mac is a better offering.

Macs don't come with bloatware, programs installed on mac do not add themselves to the startup file, OSX is a more stable operating system than Vista.

And while a mac does cost more, let's get real. No one actually buys those budget laptops you see advertised on dell.com. By the time your done customizing or by the time the sales rep is done upselling to you, its $900.
For starters, it's not necessarily a matter of hating Macs as much as it is hating the Mac fanboys and what they represent. Then you see some bogus news story like this and what do you expect to happen? Propoganda at its finest.

What kind of argument is that about the 65-year old? The same 65-year old who doesn't understand what spyware is probably doesn't have spyware as a consideration when shopping for a computer. In fact, that 65-year old is just about to retire (in the U.S. anyway, if he/she has not already done so), so they are on even more of a fixed budget. Hence, unless they still need to do heavy computing (which I imagine is pretty unlikely for that generation at present), they aren't going to buy the more expensive computer. Which brings me to my next point: people do buy the budget laptops you see on Dell.com - you may want to lay off the gross generalizations, especially when you have no way to substantiate your statement.
Edited by stargate125645 - 5/21/08 at 11:11am
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 68
Like 90% of the people here that hate on macs are simply ignorant fags who have never seriously used the OS X. As you can tell from their comments of "oh you can't mod it," "you can't oc it," "you can't game on it," or "it costs too much!" that they are either still immature and stupid or spiteful because mommy or daddy will not buy them one. These are the same people who think that gaming is everything in the computer world and that if a product can OC, no matter how crappy it is, it still must be good. I have a 17" Macbook Pro AND a high end gaming machine. I like my MBP because it is stable, as light as my old Dell 1501 (which was 15.4"), has a resolution only found on 20.1+" monitors, and runs fast and stable. I also never have to worry about software and driver compatibility issues, nor do I mind having limited software to choose from since I do not intend to mod it or use it for anything other than what I purchased it for. Now some of you may look at my E6600 and scoff, but aside from folding and encoding much faster (none of which matters to me since I don't fold and I leave encoding to run at night), *** can your Q9750 do that my PC cannot? I can play the same games and run the same programs all just as easily (actually I do have a Q9450 but I haven't gotten around to building a rig for it) and with less heat as well.

PS I wish the world would legalize neutering as a public safety for fanboys... macs, intels, amd, ati, nvidia, nintendo, microsoft, sony, ect. All these little ****s do is friggin taint the overall gene pool with blind following of misconceptions and unrelenting stupidity. Seriously, some of you should become monks or something...
Edited by OC'ing Noob - 5/21/08 at 11:26am
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggie Smalls
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K Asus P8Z77-M EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 Pro Samsung 850 Pro Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache Western Digital Black Caviar 64MB Cache 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Bluray Combo Drive Corsair H50 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell UltraSharp U3415W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 4 Blue/Red Corsair AX860 Corsair Obsidian 350D Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
fUnc Mouse Mat Grace m9xx DAC/AMP ELAC B6 Schiit Lyr 2 
AudioAudio
Fostex TH-X00 (ebony cups with detachable cable... Sennheiser HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
For starters, it's not necessarily a matter of hating Macs as much as it is hating the Mac fanboys and what they represent. Then you see some bogus news story like this and what do you expect to happen? Propoganda at its finest.

What kind of argument is that about the 65-year old? The same 65-year old who doesn't understand what spyware is probably doesn't have spyware as a consideration when shopping for a computer. In fact, that 65-year old is just about to retire (in the U.S. anyway, if he/she has not already done so), so they are on even more of a fixed budget. Hence, unless they still need to do heavy computing (which I imagine is pretty unlikely for that generation at present), they aren't going to buy the more expensive computer. Which brings me to my next point: people do buy the budget laptops you see on Dell.com - you may want to lay off the gross generalizations, especially when you have no way to substantiate your statement.
Since you are not happy with how they defined high-end, why not just take the story for what it is? Not counting the Mac Mini, Apple's Macintosh line has a 66% share in the segment it competes in. It is just as good, and completely truthful, doesn't matter how you define high-end. I hope you don't hate Apple so much that you can't even acknowledge that.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 68
Am I the only one who thought the news article interpreted the data wrong and that the data actually stated that 66% of Apple's computer sales are over $1,000, not 66% of the computer's sold over $1,000 are from Apple?
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ AM2 Dell 0CT103 EVGA GeForce 9600GT 512MB 4 x 1GB Wintec (DDR2-667) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P SATA-II 160GB Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Dell 1907FP 19" Dell Dimension E521 
Mouse
Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerc View Post
Since you are not happy with how they defined high-end, why not just take the story for what it is? Not counting the Mac Mini, Apple's Macintosh line has a 66% share in the segment it competes in. It is just as good, and completely truthful, doesn't matter how you define high-end. I hope you don't hate Apple so much that you can't even acknowledge that.
That is a completely different statement, so what is your point? There is a huge difference between the two.
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassassin View Post
Macs are just for people who go for looks, not performance IMHO.
Nice try, but no. I bought my MacBook because of the software, the OS, and yes, the look of the computer.

Because I for one, like having a nice looking laptop over a hunk of gray, boring plastic.
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
That is a completely different statement, so what is your point? There is a huge difference between the two.
Please show me where the difference is. Since the only sub $1000 PC in the Macintosh line is the Mac Mini, and that Apple has a 66% market share in the $1000 and up segment, therefore not counting the Mac Mini, Macs have a 66% market share in the segment they compete. That is all inferred from the article, if you read it.

The only thing you are doing is arguing semantics about "high-end", while it may not be the best word for it, in the article they use the word "premium PC" instead, I see no problems with that. Would changing the article name to "66% Apple Market Share of Premium PCs" appease you better?

BTW the only article that used the "66% Apple Market Share of High-End PCs" is Slashdot. The Apple Watch and Fortune articles do not mention "high-end", they use "premium" instead. We all know that Slashdot is not best known for its journalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisjr13 View Post
Am I the only one who thought the news article interpreted the data wrong and that the data actually stated that 66% of Apple's computer sales are over $1,000, not 66% of the computer's sold over $1,000 are from Apple?
Doesn't look like it, "Apple's market share in what NPD calls the "premium" category, or laptop and desktop PCs selling for $1,000 or more, is nothing short of phenomenal: 66 percent. That's right, two-thirds."
Edited by triggerc - 5/21/08 at 12:51pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [/.]66% Apple Market Share of High-End PCs