Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Help With A Build For My First Client :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help With A Build For My First Client :) - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
Dell because they get discounts on OS and other software
dude... I might be able to land a free copy of xp, and I can get office ultimate 2007 for 65 bucks. Can't beat that lol
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by om3n View Post
dude... I might be able to land a free copy of xp, and I can get office ultimate 2007 for 65 bucks. Can't beat that lol
Is the free XP a legitimate copy or a pirated student copy?
post #13 of 19
i would have just suggested a good laptop to her. i don't see any reason why she would need a custom pc. as a business machine, she will need to use it while traveling, and need support while traveling, which you would not be able to provide.
STARSCREAM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Raptor 36GB x3 RAID0 Lite-On DVD-R/W SATAII Windows Vista Business 64-bit Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech WAVE Corsair 620HX Rocketfish Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
X-Raypad THUNDER 8 
  hide details  
Reply
STARSCREAM
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Raptor 36GB x3 RAID0 Lite-On DVD-R/W SATAII Windows Vista Business 64-bit Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech WAVE Corsair 620HX Rocketfish Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
X-Raypad THUNDER 8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Well - It certainly can be done....but it's a simple matter of very little profit to be had.

The main problem is going to be that a pre-packaged Dell or HP is going to have Office (even if just a trial version), OS, and some other goodies pre-installed on it. If she is going to be using this for work...I can certainly guarantee that she will want those things.

Also - If I have learned anything from building others PC's....don't skimp on the software. It's almost guaranteed that if you don';t provide legit software....problems will arise and you will have a very unhappy customer. You can't tell a customer..."oh - don;t worry about that Genuine Windows Validation error thing...."

Point is - Any system that you build will be MUCH better than any HP...but - It will probably cost a tad more because the difference between high-quality and refurbished parts.

Price matching is always a lose-lose situation because the manufacturers can...and will...beat your price. So find out what she wants, and then build accordingly. Even if that puts her over budget. Just make sure to explain why the components you use will be better.
ABS Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.1GHz EVGA 780i SLI BFG GTS250 OC 2x2GB Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB + 160GB 7200RPM SATA Lite-On DVD+RW w LS Win 7 Ult. 64 Acer 22" X221W & 19" Samasung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (1st Edition) Rosewill RX750 v2.2 ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li Rebadge) Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
ABS Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.1GHz EVGA 780i SLI BFG GTS250 OC 2x2GB Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB + 160GB 7200RPM SATA Lite-On DVD+RW w LS Win 7 Ult. 64 Acer 22" X221W & 19" Samasung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (1st Edition) Rosewill RX750 v2.2 ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li Rebadge) Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post
Well - It certainly can be done....but it's a simple matter of very little profit to be had.

The main problem is going to be that a pre-packaged Dell or HP is going to have Office (even if just a trial version), OS, and some other goodies pre-installed on it. If she is going to be using this for work...I can certainly guarantee that she will want those things.

Also - If I have learned anything from building others PC's....don't skimp on the software. It's almost guaranteed that if you don';t provide legit software....problems will arise and you will have a very unhappy customer. You can't tell a customer..."oh - don;t worry about that Genuine Windows Validation error thing...."

Point is - Any system that you build will be MUCH better than any HP...but - It will probably cost a tad more because the difference between high-quality and refurbished parts.

Price matching is always a lose-lose situation because the manufacturers can...and will...beat your price. So find out what she wants, and then build accordingly. Even if that puts her over budget. Just make sure to explain why the components you use will be better.
you know what? The more I time I spent on trying to come up with a decent parts list for this pc, the more I realized what you are saying is exactly true about price. I mean I want to put raid on her pc, I want to use a decent video card, I want to do a minimal amount of overclocking.... and it's gonna cost about 200 more for the pc I am building than it is if she were to buy a Dell with the same/similiar specs (minus the ocing and extra drive of course). And then no productivity software as well. Since I'm a student though I can get office ultimate for 65 bucks... legit. But the point is yeah this is hard to build one for cheaper than she can buy at Dell... I told her I could build it cheaper cause lets face it I am running a PC that would cost like 5000 bucks if I were to buy it from Alienware or Dell but I spent only like 3500 on it cause I built if myself. I figured I could do the same for her, but I guess it's different with low end systems.
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravinR1 View Post
Is the free XP a legitimate copy or a pirated student copy?
Well I have a friend who works at a school who just bought a bazillion pc's with xp on them, but they can only use windows 2000 with whatever system they are on... not sure why but that's what the dude says. He says that he can just grab xp keys without any problems... yes they are legit copies. It's just a matter of him getting permission to take the key i think... he is running xp on his eee and that's how he got that copy.
Edited by om3n - 5/21/08 at 1:52pm
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Well....The big deal with Dell, HP, Compaq, etc... is the fact that they deal in bulk. You will never get a hard drive cheaper then they will because you will never buy 100,000 of them at a time. The difference though is that any hard drive you get will be better then what they put in a machine.

If your customer is looking for a basic machine to do word processing and surf the internet...she probably doesn't care that your 10k Raptor will kill the 5400RPM drive...or that a 8800GT is only about 1,000,000 x the performance of that intel GMA 950 onboard graphics.

Unless your dealing with people who know the difference....they are better off with a Dell.
ABS Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.1GHz EVGA 780i SLI BFG GTS250 OC 2x2GB Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB + 160GB 7200RPM SATA Lite-On DVD+RW w LS Win 7 Ult. 64 Acer 22" X221W & 19" Samasung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (1st Edition) Rosewill RX750 v2.2 ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li Rebadge) Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
ABS Black Pearl
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.1GHz EVGA 780i SLI BFG GTS250 OC 2x2GB Mushkin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB + 160GB 7200RPM SATA Lite-On DVD+RW w LS Win 7 Ult. 64 Acer 22" X221W & 19" Samasung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 (1st Edition) Rosewill RX750 v2.2 ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li Rebadge) Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post
Well....The big deal with Dell, HP, Compaq, etc... is the fact that they deal in bulk. You will never get a hard drive cheaper then they will because you will never buy 100,000 of them at a time. The difference though is that any hard drive you get will be better then what they put in a machine.

If your customer is looking for a basic machine to do word processing and surf the internet...she probably doesn't care that your 10k Raptor will kill the 5400RPM drive...or that a 8800GT is only about 1,000,000 x the performance of that intel GMA 950 onboard graphics.

Unless your dealing with people who know the difference....they are better off with a Dell.
Well Put. As you mentioned before, Lower end systems tend to bring in a very low margin of profit and it's not really even worth the time. But I guess that's how thing's start off in the beginning.

If it was me, I'd aim at a crowd with money that was enthustiast oriented, with no building skills
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 1.48v eVGA 680i A1 revision eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2x1GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor 500 Barracuda Lite-on DVD-RW Combo drive vista / xp 32 dual boot 22" Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Antec True Power Trio 650w Antec 900 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Standard Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 1.48v eVGA 680i A1 revision eVGA 9800GTX 800/2000/2350 2x1GB Patriot Extreme PC-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150GB Raptor 500 Barracuda Lite-on DVD-RW Combo drive vista / xp 32 dual boot 22" Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Antec True Power Trio 650w Antec 900 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Standard Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post
Well....The big deal with Dell, HP, Compaq, etc... is the fact that they deal in bulk. You will never get a hard drive cheaper then they will because you will never buy 100,000 of them at a time. The difference though is that any hard drive you get will be better then what they put in a machine.

If your customer is looking for a basic machine to do word processing and surf the internet...she probably doesn't care that your 10k Raptor will kill the 5400RPM drive...or that a 8800GT is only about 1,000,000 x the performance of that intel GMA 950 onboard graphics.

Unless your dealing with people who know the difference....they are better off with a Dell.
The more time I spent trying to come up with a decent build for a low price, the more i realized that what you say is exactly true. It's ok though because she decided to go with a laptop anyway... even though I advised against using a laptop as her main pc in which she will be keeping patient and financial records etc. that can be lost due to a damaged hard drive (which is not that uncommon with a lappy). However, she told me that one day after her business begins to develop she will probably have me build a more substancial desktop to store data and she will probably hire someone to schedule patients using this machine. So no building for now anyways....
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
om3n rev. 2.8
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.6 GHZ/ 3.2 GHZ constant eVGA 790i Ultra SLI BFG 9800 GTX @ 800/2000/1200 x2 SLI (2 x 4096MB) GSkill DDR3 Ripjaw @ 1511 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
(2 x 1056MB) Corsair DDR3 XMS 1333 @ 1511 2x 150GB WD raptors RAID0; seagate 500GB & 1000GB ASUS 20x SATA Windows 8 professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" x2 CM Storm Quckfire Pro  Thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower Thermaltake Armor 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Help With A Build For My First Client :)