Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Needing help building a comp for my father
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Needing help building a comp for my father

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
He is just now giving up his HP 450mhz,I think he bought it in 95.
Anyway I'm wanting to build him a good solid computer to last him for a while. He's 78yrs hard headed and likes books better but he realizes he need a computer. I'm thinking about a Intel chip,Intel chipset MB /Nvidia video,onboard everything else.Not sure what size on the HDD, might do some OC-ing don't know yet.he braking down and getting high speed.He's wanting to spend 450-500 shipped. He has a monitor. I'll most likely buy from newegg.Thanks in advance for the help
post #2 of 11
(1) Open box Gigabyte P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128059R = $74.99 shipped
(2) E2160 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116036 = $68.99 shipped
(3) Gskill 6400 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 = $44.99 shipped
(4) OCZ PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012 = $59.99 shipped MIR - $25 = $34.99
(5) XFX 8500 video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150268 = $59.99 + 5.99 shipping
(6) DVD burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106228 $23.99 shipped
(7) 250GB H/D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261 $59.99 shipped

This isn't too bad, can change some things around, but this is a deccent setup. This has everything but a case, thats up to you.

Total = $398.92 shipped with a $25 MIR, total after rebate = $373.92
My Gaming System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.0GHz @ 1.25v ASUS P6X58D-E GTX 580 Gskill 1600's 3x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair F120's in RAID0 Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Apple 30" 2560x1600 microsoft reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
1000w Corsair antec 1200 razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
My Gaming System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.0GHz @ 1.25v ASUS P6X58D-E GTX 580 Gskill 1600's 3x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x Corsair F120's in RAID0 Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Apple 30" 2560x1600 microsoft reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
1000w Corsair antec 1200 razer diamondback 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
(1) Open box Gigabyte P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128059R = $74.99 shipped
(2) E2160 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116036 = $68.99 shipped
(3) Gskill 6400 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 = $44.99 shipped
(4) OCZ PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012 = $59.99 shipped MIR - $25 = $34.99
(5) XFX 8500 video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150268 = $59.99 + 5.99 shipping
(6) DVD burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106228 $23.99 shipped
(7) 250GB H/D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261 $59.99 shipped

This isn't too bad, can change some things around, but this is a deccent setup. This has everything but a case, thats up to you.

Total = $398.92 shipped with a $25 MIR, total after rebate = $373.92
Looks pretty good

What kind of graphics power does he need? What will he be using the computer for? I'm assuming at 78 years old he won't be too interested in "pwning n00bs" but then again, the older generations never fail to surprise me
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
Looks pretty good

What kind of graphics power does he need? What will he be using the computer for? I'm assuming at 78 years old he won't be too interested in "pwning n00bs" but then again, the older generations never fail to surprise me
That pretty funny "pwning noobs" He does like nice stuff.He doesn't need anything real fast,he is only going to read email and do other stuff. It's really me that wants to have the versatility to change thing out
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
(1) Open box Gigabyte P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128059R = $74.99 shipped
(2) E2160 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116036 = $68.99 shipped
(3) Gskill 6400 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 = $44.99 shipped
(4) OCZ PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012 = $59.99 shipped MIR - $25 = $34.99
(5) XFX 8500 video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150268 = $59.99 + 5.99 shipping
(6) DVD burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106228 $23.99 shipped
(7) 250GB H/D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261 $59.99 shipped

This isn't too bad, can change some things around, but this is a deccent setup. This has everything but a case, thats up to you.

Total = $398.92 shipped with a $25 MIR, total after rebate = $373.92
That looks real good,I'll go over it tonight,thanks. Got to go to work seee ya
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
(1) Open box Gigabyte P35-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813128059R = $74.99 shipped
(2) E2160 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116036 = $68.99 shipped
(3) Gskill 6400 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098 = $44.99 shipped
(4) OCZ PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012 = $59.99 shipped MIR - $25 = $34.99
(5) XFX 8500 video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150268 = $59.99 + 5.99 shipping
(6) DVD burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106228 $23.99 shipped
(7) 250GB H/D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261 $59.99 shipped

This isn't too bad, can change some things around, but this is a deccent setup. This has everything but a case, thats up to you.

Total = $398.92 shipped with a $25 MIR, total after rebate = $373.92
It all look pretty good,could you find me a comparable Asus MB? I've had really good luck with um and would like to continue. Maybe a little faster processor, we have up to 500 shipped. I'm going to get him a cordless mouse/keyboard setup to. I'm going to see if i can have it ready for his birthday next month on the second.
I'll have to have him over this weekend for the holiday and we can go over everything and find him a case.
Thanks all.
post #7 of 11
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115052
For the processor.
Stick with the gigabyte board, it has a good reputation, though I would recommend you get the non-open box version.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147087
That's the case, unless you want to stick with his old case.
Edited by xHassassin - 5/22/08 at 4:50pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassassin View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115052
For the processor.
Stick with the gigabyte board, it has a good reputation, though I would recommend you get the non-open box version.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147087
That's the case, unless you want to stick with his old case.

thanks man
post #9 of 11
Actually, before you buy anything, check around for that CPU, I only chose it because it was relatively cheap, was 45nm, and was a respectable 2.5GHz
Still seems pretty nice though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L eVGA 9800GT Stock Speeds GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung F3 500GB Samsung 22X DVD Drive Windows 7 64-bit 22" Acer x223w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M Model 1391401 Antec EarthWatts 500W Troglodytic Tech Terminal Razer Deathadder 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
He is just now giving up his HP 450mhz,I think he bought it in 95.
Anyway I'm wanting to build him a good solid computer to last him for a while. He's 78yrs hard headed and likes books better but he realizes he need a computer. I'm thinking about a Intel chip,Intel chipset MB /Nvidia video,onboard everything else.Not sure what size on the HDD, might do some OC-ing don't know yet.he braking down and getting high speed.He's wanting to spend 450-500 shipped. He has a monitor. I'll most likely buy from newegg.Thanks in advance for the help
Just a month ago I too retired my P-2 450 so don't laugh. It seems that my puter is older than some on this board. LOL
Up and RUNNING
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Go stepping EVGA 132 A1 780i EVGA RED 295 G-Skill 2X4 ddr2 1K 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD150-10K, 500G-16m both SATA Samsung 203N Vista,Office Ultamate 64 LG L227WTG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G-15 PC Power & Cooling 1K Cool Master Cosmos 1000 G-9 
  hide details  
Reply
Up and RUNNING
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Go stepping EVGA 132 A1 780i EVGA RED 295 G-Skill 2X4 ddr2 1K 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD150-10K, 500G-16m both SATA Samsung 203N Vista,Office Ultamate 64 LG L227WTG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G-15 PC Power & Cooling 1K Cool Master Cosmos 1000 G-9 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Needing help building a comp for my father