Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1. - Page 5

post #41 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
IF anything consoles cater to casuals. Real gamers game on a PC.
If you believe this you obviously haven't been in High School.

Or maybe it's just a Minnesota thing...
post #42 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_08 View Post
I don't like Steam I brought this game Half Life Plantium Edition along time ago but I can't sell it. So for steam their should be a way to put key on another account if the original owner wants to.
see my sig for my response
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalAris View Post
If you believe this you obviously haven't been in High School.

Or maybe it's just a Minnesota thing...
no. luckily, we live in the real world XD.
post #44 of 82
Valve is staying successful in today's big "piracy" problem (making money-wise) because of Steam, if you ask me. There are much fewer pirates copies of Valve games, and NO pirates copies of multiplayer Steam games that work on normal servers (that I'm aware of), only cracked servers, but who wants to play on those? Most people like Steam anyways, I know I do. It's very handy and works quite well and is easy to use. The community and friends system is great too.

Of course, there's also the fact that Valve makes exceptionally awesomely amazing games... haha.
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
Pumpmaster Flex
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI 11GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Cryorig H7 Windows 10 Pro Ducky One TKL Side Print PBT 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent Logitech G502 Proteus Core SteelSeries QcK Heavy 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Schiit Magni 2 + Modi 2 Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Head... Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones AntLion ModMic 
Other
Sennheiser HD 650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplePlay View Post
Valve is staying successful in today's big "piracy" problem (making money-wise) because of Steam, if you ask me. There are much fewer pirates copies of Valve games, and NO pirates copies of multiplayer Steam games that work on normal servers (that I'm aware of), only cracked servers, but who wants to play on those? Most people like Steam anyways, I know I do. It's very handy and works quite well and is easy to use. The community and friends system is great too.

Of course, there's also the fact that Valve makes exceptionally awesomely amazing games... haha.
As I say, I think it's because Valve give you a lot of value, I mean, why bother to pirate it when you are getting 5 games, a load of updates and supports, community content, and more for £20? It's just not worth pirating. It's the way it should be done.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lombardi
The PC is no longer a viable platform. The PC is all about casual gaming. The PC market is dying.
It always looks like that when a spew of consoles hits the market.

However, the PC is the ultimate gaming machine... for reasons that I am sure I do not need to re-iterate.

In a few years the PS3 (I own one) and the 360 (I owned one) will look shabby next to the power of quad-core and the GeForce 10x9600 (I made that up... can you guess? )

The consoles will always be "current-gen" whereas the PC will always be Bleeding-Edge
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphase View Post
It always looks like that when a spew of consoles hits the market.

However, the PC is the ultimate gaming machine... for reasons that I am sure I do not need to re-iterate.

In a few years the PS3 (I own one) and the 360 (I owned one) will look shabby next to the power of quad-core and the GeForce 10x9600 (I made that up... can you guess? )

The consoles will always be "current-gen" whereas the PC will always be Bleeding-Edge
Consoles will always be better for most gaming due to 3 main things:

1. It will always be compatable since all xbox's are the same. All ps3's are the same, etc. No drivers, no troubleshooting, no errors in the middle of the game ( generally speaking of course )

2. Having a standard of forced hardware makes the developers work with what you have, instead of you always having to upgrade hardware to make it work.

3. The initial investment is much lower. Yeah, you can do much more with your pc, but the initial investment for an OEM pc is around $800, then add an additional $200 for a video card and you have a machine that will be above what a console offers for maybe the next 3 yrs at most.

4. Consoles ALWAYS drop in price, significantly. The only reason the PS3 isn't doing that as fast is the Blu-Ray. Add in 2 and 4 and you have an winning combo, whereas older pc parts may drop in price but the requirements to run a game keep going up.



The fact of the matter is a vast majority of people don't know how to do more than install basic programs. I don't think it would be too far fetched to assume that 75% of computer users wouldn't know what to do if there was a driver issue. I don't think it would be that far fetched to assume >80% would be VERY uncomfortable doing even the most basic computer modifications like adding ram.

The fact that there is a 'Geek Squad' around is proof of this.
Edited by FuNkDrSpOt - 5/27/08 at 5:41pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt View Post
Consoles will always be better for most gaming due to 3 main things:

1. It will always be compatable since all xbox's are the same. All ps3's are the same, etc. No drivers, no troubleshooting, no errors in the middle of the game ( generally speaking of course )

2. Having a standard of forced hardware makes the developers work with what you have, instead of you always having to upgrade hardware to make it work.

3. The initial investment is much lower. Yeah, you can do much more with your pc, but the initial investment for an OEM pc is around $600, then add an additional $200 for a video card and you have a machine that will be above what a console offers for maybe the next 3 yrs at most.

4. Consoles ALWAYS drop in price, significantly. The only reason the PS3 isn't doing that as fast is the Blu-Ray. Add in 2 and 4 and you have an winning combo, whereas older pc parts may drop in price but the requirements to run a game keep going up.
Epic Fail. (IMHO)

1) Most game-devs will scale the game to [be able] to run on most "moderately current systems"
2) PC graphics have already outshined and surpassed ALL consoles... Just want to say that again... ALL CONSOLES; and, fyi, devs will piss their pants when a new console comes out cos it makes their life easier than developing for P{C... TEMPORARILY

3) PC-TECH is, actually, what drives the console industry; No PC = No Consoles. Period... EOF

4) To address your point about (your) point 2... That is a crock of ****... Devs of games are a lil bit more savvy than you are; they understand (eventually with consoles) the platform and code accordingly, whereas PC devs have a MUCH harder task on their hands... that is, to make sure that the game runs on a "sensible" number of machines.

Consoles will always be better for gaming??

WHAT the feck PLANET are you from?

PC hardware changes almost daily... Console hardware changes every 5 years or so.

You on Crack?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 Asus Lappy GeForce GT520M 4096 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB LG W7=64 ult + Slackware13.1_64 + MineOS HP w2207h 
KeyboardCaseMouse
logitech G11 Fugly, lol logitech mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evostance View Post
What have intel got to do with the decline in PC gaming? They make better CPU's that AMD, so surely if anything it should be AMD's faults for selling crap?

But since theres hundreds of CPU's to choose from YOU are making about this much sense.... - None, thats right! None...theres nothing here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenbren View Post
intel "extreme integrated" graphics. lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evostance View Post
And thats why things called graphics cards were invented.

Your point makes no sense into relation to why intel caused this. If your trying to say its because they have crappy integrated graphics, at least they tried. AMD didnt even bother so surely they would be to blame more?
Intel IS to blame for SOME of this, but before you bust a button let me explain.
Intel's IGPs account for around 80% of graphics cards in computers around the world. Mostly because the majority of Intel computers are sold with Intel motherboards, which unless a discrete card was purchased, would come with Intel extreme !@#$ graphics.
They are fine for desktop work, which is mostly what they would be used for, but for anyone who wants to play anything beyond DOOM you have to drop $$ on an upgrade since Intel didnt bother to support DirectX.

Almost everyone who has a computer outside of work will at one point buy a computer game that looks cool or was told by a friend etc. With any generation of Intel IGP coupled with "the game" from the corresponding generation, the user will be crap outta luck.

Any way you put it, the majority of people have an Intel IGP in their computer and when their kids or them want to start playing games they will tend toward a plug and play xbox or playstation over upgrading their computer when they just figured out how to plug it in correctly.

Please dont say AMD didnt try because until last year they didnt even have a chipset or graphics devision. And until C2D AMD was takin Intel for a ride performance wise if you have short term memory or something.

Simply stated, having only 25ish% of computers capible of playing 3D games due to Intels IGPs is one of the sources of the decline in PC gaming and incline in console gaming. People want to plug and go, they dont want the "hassle" of upgrading even if it is cheaper.

Intel is the king of sales, but reguardless of generation, their graphics "solutions" suck ass.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 XFX HD5870 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 + 2x TB Seagate LG DVD+RW Stock Intel Windows 7 64bit / OSX Mountain Lion 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2210 + 17" IBM Das Ultimate S Antec TruePower 650W Antec P183 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX Revolution X-Trac Ripper Objective 2 + ODAC Combo Sennheiser HD650 + Klipsch 2.1 Promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 XFX HD5870 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
60GB OCZ Vertex 3 + 2x TB Seagate LG DVD+RW Stock Intel Windows 7 64bit / OSX Mountain Lion 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell ST2210 + 17" IBM Das Ultimate S Antec TruePower 650W Antec P183 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX Revolution X-Trac Ripper Objective 2 + ODAC Combo Sennheiser HD650 + Klipsch 2.1 Promedia 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by newphase View Post
Epic Fail. (IMHO)

1) Most game-devs will scale the game to [be able] to run on most "moderately current systems"
2) PC graphics have already outshined and surpassed ALL consoles... Just want to say that again... ALL CONSOLES; and, fyi, devs will piss their pants when a new console comes out cos it makes their life easier than developing for P{C... TEMPORARILY

3) PC-TECH is, actually, what drives the console industry; No PC = No Consoles. Period... EOF

4) To address your point about (your) point 2... That is a crock of ****... Devs of games are a lil bit more savvy than you are; they understand (eventually with consoles) the platform and code accordingly, whereas PC devs have a MUCH harder task on their hands... that is, to make sure that the game runs on a "sensible" number of machines.

Consoles will always be better for gaming??

WHAT the feck PLANET are you from?

PC hardware changes almost daily... Console hardware changes every 5 years or so.

You on Crack?
You seem to equate graphics to being the best. Almost everything you've mentioned has to do with graphics or how hard it is to code for. I'm talking about the mainstream market and nothing else.

1. Most? No, valve is not most of the gaming industry and MOST of the gaming industry has been busy trying to pump out their own version of Crysis, which leaves my system unable to play. Also, did you forget about multiple hardware/software issues that leaves most average people confounded and unable to enjoy the game?

2. Who cares who outshines who? Wasn't it the head of the company that made Bioshock that said they sold like 4:1, console vs pc? What's the top selling game for pc vs console this year ( lets even take out GTA 4 ). Point is, console gaming is easier, less problematic and therefore MORE WIDELY ACCEPTED BY EVERYONE?

3. Such a gross over generalization that it's actually quite sad. Besides, what does your "What if" scenario have to do with which is better to game on? AND , what you've stated for #3 is so off topic for my #3 that I don't even know where to start. I was talking about $$$, you're talking about tech.

4. How is my #2 a crock? It's a very valid point. You buy a console for 5 yrs and you can play game #1 and game #45867 on the same console from start to finish. The less thinking for the general public the better, when it comes to an entertainment device.

5. Yes, i can agree with what you've said about pc hardware changing daily and console hardware changing every 5 yrs, which plays to the strength of consoles. You obviously didn't even really do more than skim what i said because if you did you wouldn't have even mentioned this part.


Either way dood, calm your old a** down. It's my simple opinion on why consoles are better. Both have their own merits. Quit acting like an offended nerd and realize you don't have to get personal just because I don't see things the way you do.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1.