Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1. - Page 7

post #61 of 82
i think i like it being elitist. i like solving the problems. tbh im still a noob, but i like learning.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 8*400 p35c ds3r x1950 pro 512mb corsair xms2 at 800mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250gb hitachi vista home prem 32bit lg l226 wtq-pf corsair vx550watt 
Case
cm 690 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
q6600 8*400 p35c ds3r x1950 pro 512mb corsair xms2 at 800mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250gb hitachi vista home prem 32bit lg l226 wtq-pf corsair vx550watt 
Case
cm 690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasparx View Post
Lulz, all this talking about how you will need an uber system for the newest games...
My Nephew has my old Athlon XP 3200+,2Gb RAM, GF6600,80Gb HDD etc.
That system Is about 5 years old, except for the GFX, wich is 4 years old.
And he still can play almost all newer games on med @ 1024x768, and on low @ 1024x768.
He even plays TF2 @ High.(same for HL2,CSS,Portal Etc.)
Ofcourse, most people have a intergrated gfx, But today we're seeing more and more OEM Pc's shipped with dedicated GFX'es (8400GS,3450,7200GS)
Even on those cards, you can play the newest games... on low.
Good point. I'm still amazed that my old rig, AMD 3200+, 1Gig DDR, and a 7900gt can still run Bioshock, BF2, and all Source games real, real, nice. Not as well as my sig rig, but definately playable. And you could assemble that rig for very little scratch.
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
The Me Too
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500K Asus P8Z68-VPRO Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Gibabyte GTX 670 OC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Samsung 830 SSD  LG Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Vista Samsung SyncMaster p2770 ZBoard Merc (love this thing) Corsair 750W 
CaseMouse
Antec Monolith (old as eff) Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 82
Lol Mjolnir, love that bit in your sig, that's epic.

/OT

I agree with the post near the start of this thread that says that we're worried about the Crysis and UT3 games of the PC. COD4 seems to have done well on the PC, but I haven't seen the numbers, so I'm not sure. The fact is, piracy is making a huge huge dent on the PC gaming industry, especially on single-player games that don't require online authentication to play.

I went to a 6 person lan party the other day (just a group of friends), and asked them who had COD4. 4 of them had it, none legally. I was the only one with a legal copy. This happens all over the place, yet justifiers try to say that piracy doesn't have any effect on the market. BS.

Have a sense of morality people, and either don't play a game, or pay for it in the store.
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Lol Mjolnir, love that bit in your sig, that's epic.

/OT

I agree with the post near the start of this thread that says that we're worried about the Crysis and UT3 games of the PC. COD4 seems to have done well on the PC, but I haven't seen the numbers, so I'm not sure. The fact is, piracy is making a huge huge dent on the PC gaming industry, especially on single-player games that don't require online authentication to play.

I went to a 6 person lan party the other day (just a group of friends), and asked them who had COD4. 4 of them had it, none legally. I was the only one with a legal copy. This happens all over the place, yet justifiers try to say that piracy doesn't have any effect on the market. BS.

Have a sense of morality people, and either don't play a game, or pay for it in the store.
CIVILIAN ARREST!
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
Lol Mjolnir, love that bit in your sig, that's epic.

/OT

I agree with the post near the start of this thread that says that we're worried about the Crysis and UT3 games of the PC. COD4 seems to have done well on the PC, but I haven't seen the numbers, so I'm not sure. The fact is, piracy is making a huge huge dent on the PC gaming industry, especially on single-player games that don't require online authentication to play.

I went to a 6 person lan party the other day (just a group of friends), and asked them who had COD4. 4 of them had it, none legally. I was the only one with a legal copy. This happens all over the place, yet justifiers try to say that piracy doesn't have any effect on the market. BS.

Have a sense of morality people, and either don't play a game, or pay for it in the store.
OK, Now, I think you are wrong, and that pirating is not something where the consumer is totally at fault.

I am a programmer, I want to make games and software for a living, and already develop websites, so surely that's a ridiculous stance, right?

Wrong. The problem is the industry is overcharging, and making it too hard to access the content, to the point where people pirate because they can't afford the game, and because they can't be bothered to get it legally.

If developers gave people a good system of getting good content at good prices, people would not pirate half as much. Case-in-point: Steam.

As a developer, and a supporter of FOSS, I think that you can't simple sue everyone who pirates or stop them.

There is a reason they are pirating en-masse. Instead of trying to stop them pirating, don't give them enough reasons too.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
OK, Now, I think you are wrong, and that pirating is not something where the consumer is totally at fault.

I am a programmer, I want to make games and software for a living, and already develop websites, so surely that's a ridiculous stance, right?

Wrong. The problem is the industry is overcharging, and making it too hard to access the content, to the point where people pirate because they can't afford the game, and because they can't be bothered to get it legally.

If developers gave people a good system of getting good content at good prices, people would not pirate half as much. Case-in-point: Steam.

As a developer, and a supporter of FOSS, I think that you can't simple sue everyone who pirates or stop them.

There is a reason they are pirating en-masse. Instead of trying to stop them pirating, don't give them enough reasons too.
I agree 100%

Make good games and don't over charge = Less Piracy
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Q6600 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB Plus eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 4GB G. Skill F2-8000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB WD (OS) 1TB WD (Storage) Samsung 18x Sata Dvd Burner Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell 21.5 1920/1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 FSP 700W Epsilon Quad Sli NZXT Whisper Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
X-Trac Pads 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
OK, Now, I think you are wrong, and that pirating is not something where the consumer is totally at fault.

I am a programmer, I want to make games and software for a living, and already develop websites, so surely that's a ridiculous stance, right?

Wrong. The problem is the industry is overcharging, and making it too hard to access the content, to the point where people pirate because they can't afford the game, and because they can't be bothered to get it legally.

If developers gave people a good system of getting good content at good prices, people would not pirate half as much. Case-in-point: Steam.

As a developer, and a supporter of FOSS, I think that you can't simple sue everyone who pirates or stop them.

There is a reason they are pirating en-masse. Instead of trying to stop them pirating, don't give them enough reasons too.
I don't care what the reason for piracy is, the fact is, it's hurting the industry, and it's illegal. There's never any kind of justification or "reason" for doing something illegal. If it's against the law, it's against the law, and that's the bottom line.

As far as pricing, well, if people wouldn't buy games at $60 a pop, then publishers wouldn't sell them for that. It's simple supply and demand. Enough people are willing to pay $60 for games, so that's the new price point for them.

And I don't know what you mean about "hard to access" games. What's so hard about going to the store and buying a game on a DVD?
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
I don't care what the reason for piracy is, the fact is, it's hurting the industry, and it's illegal. There's never any kind of justification or "reason" for doing something illegal. If it's against the law, it's against the law, and that's the bottom line.
Please, don't be so nieve as to believe all laws are right. Laws can be wrong like anything else. Legality and Morality are two very different things.

I'm not saying these people are right, by the way, I'm just saying suing pirates is never going to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
As far as pricing, well, if people wouldn't buy games at $60 a pop, then publishers wouldn't sell them for that. It's simple supply and demand. Enough people are willing to pay $60 for games, so that's the new price point for them.
That is my point exactly. People are not buying them. They are pirating them. It's simple supply and demand. But the companies are not setting a new price point (or changing their product to make it worthwhile), but rather whining that it's unfair. It is unfair, but the fact is, however many people you sue, it's not going to work - they need to focus on getting the casual person back to buying it, rather than pirating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
And I don't know what you mean about "hard to access" games. What's so hard about going to the store and buying a game on a DVD?
Because people would prefer to google it, add it to their torrent client, wake up the next morning and play. It is easier.
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
Shinobu
(16 items)
 
Nodoka
(16 items)
 
Index
(4 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe HD6450 Flex Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Arch Linux Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2410 Dell 2407WFP Cherry - Cherry Blue Switches (Unlabeled keys) Seasonic X-650 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Black Logitech M570 Trackball Sennheiser HD595 Creative GigaWorks T20 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi EVGA 680 GTX Samsung 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 256GB 830 Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ Windows 7 Dell U2410 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardCase
Dell 2407WFP Dell E248WFP Cherry Black (MX Blue Switches, Blank Keys) Silverstone Sugi SG08B 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech Trackman Logitech Z-5500 Sennheiser HD595s 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon II X2 240e Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport 1.5TB Hard Drives 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
If developers gave people a good system of getting good content at good prices, people would not pirate half as much. Case-in-point: Steam.

There is a reason they are pirating en-masse. Instead of trying to stop them pirating, don't give them enough reasons too.
nah i have to disagree there. the majority doesnt pirate coz they have too. they do it coz they can, coz they want to. simple as that.

no matter how much you charge for a system or its games, people will pirate them given the chance. its the way of the world unfortunately. even if a game costs $10, someone is still going to pirate it if possible. they do now.

the ONLY reason Steam is so successful, is that you cant pirate anything on it AND play online, its security checks and measures are adequate enough to counter piracy attempts. you can still pirate most games and play them in offline mode if they are single player obviously. again Steam wins in that you cant update the games via Steam, has to be done manually, however the hell you do that.
Dr. Gonzo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Gigabyte X79-UD3 ASUS GTX Titan X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" Tesoro Durandal Silverstone 850w Strider 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec Eleven Hundred Logitech G502 Creative SoundBlaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
Dr. Gonzo
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Gigabyte X79-UD3 ASUS GTX Titan X 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 2TB Crucial M4 256GB Lite-On Blu-Ray Writer Swiftech Apogee Drive II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" Tesoro Durandal Silverstone 850w Strider 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec Eleven Hundred Logitech G502 Creative SoundBlaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattyware View Post
OK, Now, I think you are wrong, and that pirating is not something where the consumer is totally at fault.

I am a programmer, I want to make games and software for a living, and already develop websites, so surely that's a ridiculous stance, right?

Wrong. The problem is the industry is overcharging, and making it too hard to access the content, to the point where people pirate because they can't afford the game, and because they can't be bothered to get it legally.

If developers gave people a good system of getting good content at good prices, people would not pirate half as much. Case-in-point: Steam.

As a developer, and a supporter of FOSS, I think that you can't simple sue everyone who pirates or stop them.

There is a reason they are pirating en-masse. Instead of trying to stop them pirating, don't give them enough reasons too.
HOLY MACKEREL BATMAN! EPIC FAIL!!!

I am a learning programming, and by jove, I would be pissed if people pirated my stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Shacknews] Valve Interview Part 1.