Jessie's Gumdrop - Day 11
Today was supposed to be the final day of this build but unfortunately things didnt go as planned. It seems like every other thing, instead of being a quick put together, turned into time-consuming mini-mod projects.
Anyway the saga will continue for at least a couple more days, since there's still some work to be done, and some things that need to get "modified" further.
Ok so I started with the mesh, ended up having to trim off some coners along the bottom, then I used a small dremel engraver to poke small holes in the plastic tabs. Then I used paperclips (ghetto, I know) as twist-ties.
over exposed pic of twisted clips
next I ran the rounded-over c-channel from mcmaster-carr. Later on I cleaned up the joint but thats doesnt have a pic in this log.
did some revamping on the vent mesh and did a ghetto mod with some electrical tape to prevent the c-channel droop. this isnt visible when assembled, and I didnt want to use glue, so there ya go
mounted the fan. looks ominous
untaped the cdrom, sorry for the dust, its not in the finish
snapped the faceplate on. looks nice I think, again too bright
now I needed to get the electrical work done. I split one leg of the power and reset switches and ran wire for each to join to a momentary toggle
i'd show you my soldering, but it looked like it was done by a spastic monkey, so heres the joints nicely hidden with electrical tape
sleeved and ready to shrink
shrinked, not too bad I guess
the bezel connections, and the exposed ends that go to the switches
sleeved and shrinked the mobo connector portion also
since I removed the pci switch for the uv lamp I had to trim off some purple sleeving, and reshrink the end. the toggle is a regular on/off spst
mounted the led's and switches in the bezel.
Of course the painted buttons were sticking so I had to remove them and sand off all the paint except for the faces. After they were working correctly I mounted them
mobo ready to get blown-out with the air matress filler
same for video card, sound card, and wireless G card
after cleaning the parts I was all ready to start assembly. this is where things went south
g-d screw too long, preventing mobo from seating properly
cut off just enough so that when the bolt was on there would be no screw shaft sticking out...
turns out the feet have these washers inside that sort of compress so once I cut off the screw, when I went to re-mount it I couldnt start the bolt
. This made my day, but I devised a way around the problem. I used a razor blade to slice the inner part of the foot rubber (hidden from view when assembled) to shorten the stand off height, allowing the screw threads enough to be able to start the bolt. It worked but now I have to do this to all 4 feet or the case will wobble. great
this piece caused me lots of grief today. lots of grief. Yesterday I taped it off to repair paint in two spots. Today when I take the tape offthe repairs are fine but the pro paint came off in one spot (like 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch). I dont think the piece was primed before it was painted! So I had to mask it off again, this time using paper with a hole in it, and then repaint the dmaged area. That was all fine, now I go to seat the mobo (after the screw debacle was fixed) and this thing isnt sitting right and is also preventing the mobo from seating. It turns out the pop rivetting was a bad idea on this part.
Its at this point that I decided to pack it in for the evening. I have a bunch of work to do to remedy this silliness. So this week I will get this all taken care of and cut the acrylic parts, and order a bottle of that weld stuff too.
Sorry for the delays and set backs.
* This Worklog post was generated using WorklogCreator - Version: 126.96.36.199
* Free Download: http://www.mod2software.com/worklogc...logcreator.zip