Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Strange error (video card maybe or crappy ASUS board)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strange error (video card maybe or crappy ASUS board)

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have a weird problem and don't know what it is. So today I decide to restart my PC and upon rebooting I'm greeted with an error message about the video card cable not being connected. I check the connections, unpulg and plug everything back in, but I keep getting the same error.
Not knowing what else to do I simply switch to the second DVI port on the video card, and behold, the PC boots up just fine. Switch it back and the same error again. So the DVI port died right? No. I'm using a DVI to analog converter by the way.
So I get out a DVI cable and plug it to the supposed bad port. The PC boots just fine. So it's the converter that went bad no? Wrong. I get an extra converter I have lying around and the same thing happens; the PC does not boot (same error about the power plug) when using one of the ports, but boots fine when using the other one. What gives? Using a straight up DVI connection works on both plugs, but when I try to use the converter only one works.
The reason I use the anolog connection on my monitor is because with digital the GRUB menu isn't displayed at all and neither is the BIOS screen. Anyone has experienced similar things before?
I also have suspicions about the MB, since this is the second time a similar thing happens, and the only component that's the same since then is the MB.
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
sorry cant help, strange
monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 Gigabyte 990xa UD3 Club3D 4870 512mb 8gb gSkill sniper 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640 raid 0 + 500gb samsung f3 Philips win 7 x64 Samsung 24" + 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
seasonic 520W Thermaltake Mambo Razer copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
monster
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom II 965 Gigabyte 990xa UD3 Club3D 4870 512mb 8gb gSkill sniper 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640 raid 0 + 500gb samsung f3 Philips win 7 x64 Samsung 24" + 19" 
PowerCaseMouse
seasonic 520W Thermaltake Mambo Razer copperhead 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
I have a weird problem and don't know what it is. So today I decide to restart my PC and upon rebooting I'm greeted with an error message about the video card cable not being connected. I check the connections, unpulg and plug everything back in, but I keep getting the same error.
Not knowing what else to do I simply switch to the second DVI port on the video card, and behold, the PC boots up just fine. Switch it back and the same error again. So the DVI port died right? No. I'm using a DVI to analog converter by the way.
So I get out a DVI cable and plug it to the supposed bad port. The PC boots just fine. So it's the converter that went bad no? Wrong. I get an extra converter I have lying around and the same thing happens; the PC does not boot (same error about the power plug) when using one of the ports, but boots fine when using the other one. What gives? Using a straight up DVI connection works on both plugs, but when I try to use the converter only one works.
The reason I use the anolog connection on my monitor is because with digital the GRUB menu isn't displayed at all and neither is the BIOS screen. Anyone has experienced similar things before?
I also have suspicions about the MB, since this is the second time a similar thing happens, and the only component that's the same since then is the MB.
Melcar, I doubt your motherboard would be at fault seeming the issue resides on your video adapter. Have you tried another video card to see if the problem reproduces itself? Do you have another display device that you could test with(CRT or LCD screen)?

Let us know

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Tried another screen, and it does the same thing. It just won't accept analog connections on one of the ports. The output port in question "works" since I can get a digital connection from it fine. It's just weird. Will try swapping out cards. It just seems odd that whenever the MB BIOS gets corrupted the first thing to go (aside from the MB) is the display. It already happened before and I ended up with a dead video card, so maybe the MB is killing my cards.
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
Tried another screen, and it does the same thing. It just won't accept analog connections on one of the ports. The output port in question "works" since I can get a digital connection from it fine. It's just weird. Will try swapping out cards. It just seems odd that whenever the MB BIOS gets corrupted the first thing to go (aside from the MB) is the display. It already happened before and I ended up with a dead video card, so maybe the MB is killing my cards.
Melcar, not sure how the 580X chipset is configured in your BIOS but I do know most of the VIA chipsets don't have PCI bus locking available. If the bus isn't locked and you start overclocking it can damage hardware components. What kind of tests did you conduct when checking for system stability?

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
It's an ATI chipset, which does have PCI locks. The overclock is stable; 24hrs. for every Prime test pretty much means stable. The BIOS on the board got corrupted twice now; once when the board was barely new (no overclocks) and another just recently. Out of the blue, I just restarted the PC and BAM "bad BIOS checksum". Took a bit of work to recover it. The first time it happened my X1950XT conviniently died also, so I don't know if it was bad luck or the board killed it.
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
It's an ATI chipset, which does have PCI locks. The overclock is stable; 24hrs. for every Prime test pretty much means stable. The BIOS on the board got corrupted twice now; once when the board was barely new (no overclocks) and another just recently. Out of the blue, I just restarted the PC and BAM "bad BIOS checksum". Took a bit of work to recover it. The first time it happened my X1950XT conviniently died also, so I don't know if it was bad luck or the board killed it.
Melcar, that is definitely not normal and could potentially be dangerous to future components that are installed on that motherboard. Have you tried running everything at stock for a while to see if the problem reproduces itself? How long was it between your issues with your 1950 and then now?

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Melcar, that is definitely not normal and could potentially be dangerous to future components that are installed on that motherboard. Have you tried running everything at stock for a while to see if the problem reproduces itself? How long was it between your issues with your 1950 and then now?

Good luck
I would say it has been 2 months since I switched video cards. It happened randomly both times, so I wouldn't know how to reproduce it. If it's the MB, I definitely don't want to stick my back up video card in there; I may as well let this one go and use the warranty. I'm planning on getting a new MB anyway since I just don't want this one to give me any further problems down the road.
Right now everything is fine, except for that display issue. Been running Prime non-stop over the weekend with no errors, and the video card seems fine as well.
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
Magicbox
(17 items)
 
crapbox
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8320 Sabertooth 990FX Nitro+ RX480 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO  Kingston HyperX 3K Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu  Windows 10 Pro Dell U2515H CM Quickfire TK (Cherry Blue) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W Enthoo Pro Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
Audio
Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Sempron 3300+ HP stock mobo (laptop) 200M (IGP) 2x1GB PC3200 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ATA133 DVD/CDRW Kubuntu 32 bit 14.1" (1280x768) 
Power
6 cell 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
I would say it has been 2 months since I switched video cards. It happened randomly both times, so I wouldn't know how to reproduce it. If it's the MB, I definitely don't want to stick my back up video card in there; I may as well let this one go and use the warranty. I'm planning on getting a new MB anyway since I just don't want this one to give me any further problems down the road.
Right now everything is fine, except for that display issue. Been running Prime non-stop over the weekend with no errors, and the video card seems fine as well.
Melcar, I hope everything works out. If it's really the motherboard then I would either RMA the board or just completely get rid of it. That is dangerous if you keep going through video cards like that. Is your system plugged into a surge protector or a UPS?

Good luck
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Strange error (video card maybe or crappy ASUS board)