Overclock.net banner

8800 GTS 512MB Question

675 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Arjy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm hearing that the 8800 GTS G92 512MB card is a really quality card. I am pretty sure that I am going to buy one because the price is great, and I'm not really into the new 9000 series... yet.

Right now I'm using a Radeon X1900XT 512MB version, it's about 3 years old. So I've skipped a couple of graphics card generations. It is the only piece of my rig that isn't up to date, so it needs to be replaced. (I'm also getting a samsung 2253BW)

Now, my question was: considering the upcoming Nvidia GPU's that should come out in May, should I wait? I was thinking that maybe the price of the 8800GTS will go down.

Advice much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by POETICTRAGEDY View Post
go for it, G92 GTS wont dissapoint. IMO:nvidia will going to trick us consumers on releasing new models every 2-3 months with only minimum upgrades so that we will keep upgrading. 8800gts is the best bang for your buck.
QFT

I wouldn't be suprised if nVidia just stops creating all the 8xxx series cards once the new chips are outl; to make us buy the 9600GT/9800GTX instead of the 8800GTS.

EDIT: Fill in your system specs so we know what we are dealing with here

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntocchio
View Post

cool, mind if i ask you a few questions bout overclocking once i buy it arjy?

It's easy to OC, just download the latest version of RivaTuner and AtiTool to test for stability. Also you might want to download GPU-Z.

Check out my my8800GTS (G92) OCing (840/2248/2098), experimentation/thoughts thread.

Something to keep in mind if you buy an 8800GTS ->

~55°C seems to be the maximum load temp range for stability when OC'd. I tested this by leaving my fan speed @ 30% w/ 820 mhz core and my driver crashed when I broke 60°C while runnning 3D06. Stock clocks are stable even when the card is blazing, but as core/shader frequencies increase stability becomes directly proportional to temps...

I'd say you can either wait for RV770pro or buy the 8800GTS G92 now... RV770 is rumored to be slightly more powerful than the G92 so that's a pretty good reason to wait, right? I'm not entirely sure, since we have yet to see any valid benchmarks(leaked or otherwise) which for a card slated to launch in the next 2-3 weeks is a little concerning. Also keep in mind that the 8800GTS G92 has been made EOL(End of life), meaning that once the old stock piles sell out it's done/gone forever... Replaced by the 9800GTX which has a higher stock core voltage(why it has the potential to OC better) and looser memory timings(why it's memory OCs better but when @ the same frequency is actually slower than the 8800GTS).

#11 ·
yeah, and go with either BFG, XFX, or EVGA., and sometimes the overclocked versions cost THE SAME, so look for those.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ntocchio
View Post

Specs are

Antec 900
Core 2 Duo E6700 OC'd to 3.4GHz
Radeon X1900XT 512MB
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 680i Mobo
250GB HD
650W PSU

thats not what he meant, go to User CP and fill them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.