Overclock.net banner

Sig Rig Completely messed up!

3K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  bazookaworm 
#1 ·
So, those of you may remember my noobishness from me trying to Sleeve my own cables. Well, I finished the project, but here's what happened.

The Molex's continued to stray out of their plastic-thingys, and touching the case - Creating shorts.

I spent all of the first night trying to figure out which connector was causing the short. I had turned it on and off, on and off, and so-on for hours trying to find the problem. Once I had a consistant flow of power (Meaning I saw my motherboard Logo pop up) I turned it off and went to bed.

The next morning, my copy of Ubuntu arrived, and I had said "Hey, I have a 160 GB IDE drive (The other 2 80 GB drives were SATA), I'll just throw it in, format it, and have myself a backup Ubuntu drive!"

Well, All hell breaks loose. I start up my computer to be greeted by "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

It would see my CD-Drive, but none of my other drive, and I think to myself "How odd...If it were going to fry all of my drives, why not take the CD drive with it? The CD drive is SATA also! Power doesnt give a **** what it is!". So I go ahead and put the CD drive-connector into different ports, checking if it is one of the ports gone bad.

Nope, all ports fine.

Then I say "You know what? Maybe the drives ARE fried. *Sigh*."

I throw in a drive that had been COMPLETELY reliable, and you know what I get?

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

So, Im having a few thoughts here?

Power?

No. All connections checked. Power confirmed.

BIOS?

Possibly. With all the shorts and whatnot, is it possible to corrupt native hardware?

SATA/IDE Cables?

Nope. Replaced those to diagnose. Same result.

What do you think?

I have no other completely built rig to throw my drives in at the moment.
Im really hoping BOTH arent fried, but I highly doubt it...

Ubuntu will load up in "Live" mode from the CD-Drive.
My Vista recovery CD doesnt recognize any drives.
BIOS Sees no drives.
Did the freezer-trick on my Drives, and nothing new.

Help.

See less See more
#3 ·
^Ive had the board since december,though

How long will RMA last?

#6 ·
I dont suppose I could still RMA it through Newegg,though?
They are ALWAYS fast

#8 ·
+rep to both of you for your assistance, so it is agreed that it is most likely the Mobo?

#11 ·
#12 ·
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php

Also please go here and order some of the new pins and a molex pin removal tool. These tools work great and if you do manage like I did to mess up a few you can just cut it off and crimp and solder a new one on. They are very cheap, I stocked up on all different kinds like 20 each for about $10. I have sleeved and heatshrunk all my wires and it turned out pretty cool. Also http://www.xoxide.com has a full set of any kind of pin removal tool for about $15 shipped...

LL

#14 ·
^How do I do any of that,though?

Ive tried to re-flash the BIOS, however, without a floppy,Hard Drive, or OS, I feel like im drowning in a sea of Silicone!

#15 ·
IDK how gigabyte boards work but on my asus you can save the bios file on a USB flash drive and go into the flashing tool in the bios and load the bios file and it will automatically flash it. Also to clear it 9/10 times you have to remove the nic/cad battery for a few mins or switch the reset jumper to the other side for a few mins...

#16 ·
Does anyone know how to Flash a Gigabyte BIOS without an OS or Hard Drive?

#18 ·
^
Yeah, Thats what Happened.
That's been fixed

#20 ·
Try this first -
Unlug power cord from PSU.
Move clear CMOS jumper to clear position
Take out CMOS battery
Hold down the front power button for 10 seconds
Wait for 10-20mins
Put CMOS battery back
Put CMOS clear jumper back
Put power cord back.
Try to boot.

The above routine saved my ass when the IDE channel disappeared on my old ASRock board.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

to update a bios, find a friend with a computer and go online to get the latest bios for your board, and download it. Make a usb stick bootable and save your bios on it. then boot your pc off the usb stick and update the bios

Where do I go to find the tools neccesary to make my 256MB Lexar Jump Drive bootable?
I have the file required for the BIOS.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

I got a question. Can you put the hard drives into a different computer and check them that way? That would be the easiest way to tell FOR SURE that its the motherboard.

The only other machine I have at the moment is the laptop im on right now...

Can you tell im getting ready for college, being broke and whatnot?

#24 ·
/Bump?

C'mon guys.
I need some serious help here.
Where do I go to make my USB Drive bootable?

#26 ·
I suggest you try what I suggested first though - worked for me.

Quote:
Unlug power cord from PSU.
Move clear CMOS jumper to clear position
Take out CMOS battery
Hold down the front power button for 10 seconds
Wait for 10-20mins
Put CMOS battery back
Put CMOS clear jumper back
Put power cord back.
Try to boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.